Have you been to these breweries in NM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
I am visiting NM next week. Has anyone been to any of these breweries? looking for recommendations.

1. High Desert Brewing Co. - Las Cruces, NM

2. Socorro Springs Restaurant and Brewery - Socorro, NM

3. Tractor Brewpub and Ribs - Los Lunas, NM

4. Il Vicino Wood Oven Pizza and Brewery - Albuquerque, NM

5. Chama River Brewing Microbar - Albuquerque, NM

6. Marble Brewery - Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Circle C Brewer

High Desert is a laid back college hangout with decent beer. There was never anything truly amazing, but I enjoyed the occasional visit when I lived within an hour's drive.

I am visiting NM next week. Has anyone been to any of these breweries? looking for recommendations.

1. High Desert Brewing Co. - Las Cruces, NM

2. Socorro Springs Restaurant and Brewery - Socorro, NM

3. Tractor Brewpub and Ribs - Los Lunas, NM

4. Il Vicino Wood Oven Pizza and Brewery - Albuquerque, NM

5. Chama River Brewing Microbar - Albuquerque, NM

6. Marble Brewery - Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Circle C Brewer

Yes to Socorro Springs. Have their calzones with a nice, dark beer. Their calzones are to die for. I spilled a growler of their oatmeal stout in my boss' truck, and he thanked me. Wanted me to do it again in a month. It smelled that good. Pretty solid beers.

Chama River is the standard beer for central ABQ/metro area. Good place, good food, good people. They're strong on most beers, and hold quite a few specials. I haven't been to their mini tap room in a while, just the restaurant.

Marble is new, and done by a lot of the people that do Chama. I still find them a bit young, and they haven't truly dialed in the flavor/process yet. But they're good people with pretty good beer. Nice atmosphere in the place though, and the beers get better practically weekly. You can actually get one of their beers on tap at Chili's chain restaurants.

Il Vicino. The restaurants are great, with some nice pizzas and sandwiches and a hot chile oil to die for. The beer is good-ish, with limited selections at the restaurants. Their little tap room has much better beer than the restaurants, but the restaurants are a damn good place for lunch or dinner.

You left out Kelly's, which is an albuquerque tradition. They have about a dozen types of beers, and they all suck. Extract, with just standard employees making them. I was there once, and the waitress was offended that I didn't like a beer that she brewed. Nice place to hang out though. Very nice way to spend an afternoon is on the patio; one of the best places to get a taste of local flavor.

Tractor, I go back and forth on. Don't know about the others. Nothing wrong with most beers that I've tried, but I just haven't had enough to make a decision.

If you had to pick just one, I'd say hit up Chama and/or Socorro Springs. If you're going through Socorro late at night or in the morning when Springs is closed go to the El Camino and get their breakfast burritos smothered in green chile. Best I've ever had.

Tractor has some decent beer, but I think the original beerfarmer moved on to greener pastures in Memphis over a year ago. I'm not sure who took over brewing operation.

Il Vicino has really good pizza and tasty beer. Nothing stood out as exceptional, but definitely worth checking out. Nice atmosphere, pretty casual.

Found a few more places very near Albuquerque.

7. Isotopes Brewing Co.

8. Turtle Mountain Brewing Co. in Rio Rancho, NM

9. Fat Squirrel Pub and Grille (Turtle Mtn Brewing) in Rio Rancho, NM

10. Corrales Bistro Brewery in Corrales, NM

The earlier microbrewery reviews were helpful.

Thanks

CircleC Brewer

Found a few more places very near Albuquerque.

7. Isotopes Brewing Co.

8. Turtle Mountain Brewing Co. in Rio Rancho, NM

9. Fat Squirrel Pub and Grille (Turtle Mtn Brewing) in Rio Rancho, NM

10. Corrales Bistro Brewery in Corrales, NM

The earlier microbrewery reviews were helpful.

Thanks

CircleC Brewer

Isotopes...they actually have a pub in the airport that serves their beers. They provide the craft beer for our local baseball team. Its been a while (winter and all, no baseball games!), but I remember them being at least decent. I think that some stores (maybe Kelly's and quarters) sell isotope in bottles.

Turtle Mountain; I've never been, but many of my friends like the place very much. It's a bit far of a drive for me, so I've never made it. I hear that its solid though. Been on my to do list for a while now. The fat squirrel pub is a standard beer drinking hangout for a number of my friends that live in Rio Rancho.

Never heard of or tried the corrales brewery. Corrales is a nice area, and is worth going to check out. They have some pretty nice wineries down there also (Casa Rodena).

Doesn't sound like you're making it further north, but in Famrington there's 3-rivers which is usually quite excellent. They make quality beers, and then every so often they manage a batch of cream your pants beer. At one point I bought 7 growlers of their steam beer because they turned out a perfect batch.

Thanks for the reviews kaiser423. I plan on visiting at least 4 to five places next week. I will post my reviews when I return back home.

Regards,

Circle C Brewer

Thanks for the reviews kaiser423. I plan on visiting at least 4 to five places next week. I will post my reviews when I return back home.

Regards,

Circle C Brewer

Excellent. I can't wait to hear what you think of the breweries around here. I'm not much of a beer snob yet, so it will be interesting to see what you think.

I went to Il Vicino last night for dinner, picked up a growler of their slow down brown and it was much better than I remember. Good, nice head with a good taste, and one hell of a nice hop aroma!

I hope you enjoy your trip to NM and it's breweries - let us know what you think.

I'm living in Socorro, NM right now - the home of Socorro Springs. The locals love it, but they've only produced one or two beers I've enjoyed. Even those were not stellar or anything. I guess the bottom line is - if you're in town, it's worth stopping by as long as you don't get anything that's fruit flavored. If it's the only reason you're planning on heading south of Albuquerque, I'd say skip it.

Latest posts

Back