Finally get to brew some more!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
I just ordered my supplies for two 2gal batches of beer and two 2gal batches of apfelwein!!! :ban: Thanks for the sale Austin Homebrew:mug:

I was seriously impatient for the sale day for Texas, now I have to wait for UPS to deliver....it is going to be so hard :eek:

So here are the beer batches:

Beer #1: Simple English Pale Ale

Batch size: 2gals
2lbs of Light DME
1lb of Crystal #40 (Steeped 30mins@154F)
1/2oz Challenger (60mins)
0.25oz Fuggles (~15mins)
0.25oz Fuggles (~5mins)
Notty yeast
Will bottle
Calculated stats:
ABV: 5.2-5.6% (I am thinking the steeping will be ~5.2%)
IBU's: ~45
SRM: 15

Beer #2: Smoked Porter(Experimenting w/flavors)

Batch size: 2gals
2lbs of Light DME
10oz Rauch malt (Steeped 30mins@154F)
6oz English Chocolate Malt (Steeped 30mins@154F)
1/2oz Challenger (60mins)
0.25oz Fuggles (~15mins)
0.25oz Fuggles (~5mins)
Safbrew T-58 yeast
Will bottle
ABV: 5.2-5.6% (I am thinking the steeping will be ~5.2%)
IBU's: ~45
SRM: 27

I will post the apfelwein experiment later in the wine forum.

So now the waiting starts... :p

Waiting truly is the worst part of brewing.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of practice time during the whole process.

Fortunately, mastering waiting does have it's rewards.

Waiting truly is the worst part of brewing.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of practice time during the whole process.

Fortunately, mastering waiting does have it's rewards.

LOL. The funny part is I am usually patient in other areas of my life. I can sit on the shaded bank of a river and fish all day with no luck (man I miss catfishing right now! Come on spring!)

But waiting for stuff in the mail drives me batty :drunk: At least I have time to play with brewing software for future ideas. Not sure if that helps my patience any but tis fun.

Update:

Brewed these two up yesterday and everything is bubbling away.

The Notty and T-58 yeast within 5hrs. Though the T-58 was a little more vigorous at that time.

This worked out well as I now know what rauch malt smells like. Man I can't wait to taste this one. Might try a smoked pale ale in the future. This might be a great fall beer especially camping.

Fermentation time expected:

Pale Ale: 3 weeks then to bottle for 3 weeks.
Smoked porter: 4 weeks then bottle for <2 months.

Well, I bottled my Pale Ale last night and the remainder sample was good! Green but good. Got 19 full bottles out of 2gal batch. Not bad.

Had to bottle a little early because of a hectic weekend coming up.

Found out that bottling with a bottle filler attached to the autosiphon is a pain! Next order I will picking up a couple spigots and scoring another free bucket for bottling.

Now to find some patience and leave it alone for a couple of weeks. Of course I will have to try one 7days from now. For educational purposes of course;)

Found out that bottling with a bottle filler attached to the autosiphon is a pain! Next order I will picking up a couple spigots and scoring another free bucket for bottling.

Amen to that, I tried that exactly once and then bought a proper bottling bucket with a spigot.

Bottled the Smoked Porter tonight! Too much noobtastic impatience. (Just a week early)

The smell wasnt' great but I know that is not the best indicator. The smoked malt made it almost "rancid", but the remainder sample was fine. A little acrid on the tongue with a surprising smoothness from the chocolate malt. The early smell of the rauch malt and Fuggles has not settled enough.

Time will heal!

Now to wait at least 4weeks for good sampling. Twill be hard:p

Back