Deciding what to brew - (wedding)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions as to what I should brew this weekend. I am going to be getting married on 09/06 and I want it to be done then. I am going to be brewing this Sunday (8/3) so that does not give me enough time for the typical 1 week(primary)-2 week(secondary)-3 weeks (bottles). I am looking at just under 5 weeks. Anybody have any sugestions of something pretty good that will be ready by then. BTW I am only doing extract (hopefully this will be the last extract though). Thanks.

Any IPA, it just may be a little young when it is done, but you could always just do 2 weeks in the primary and then bottle for three. That may get the job done.

How about a Hefe? Just leave it for 2 weeks in the primary and go straight to bottles.

Since wheat malt extract is not 100% wheat, thats all you need:

6.5 lbs wheat malt extract
.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 10
Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 or Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

How about a Hefe? Just leave it for 2 weeks in the primary and go straight to bottles.

Since wheat malt extract is not 100% wheat, thats all you need:

6.5 lbs wheat malt extract
.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 10
Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 or Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Is that all thats needed. No specialty grains or anything? I would probably use an american wheat yeast instead so would Hallertau still be a good choice?

Is that all thats needed. No specialty grains or anything? I would probably use an american wheat yeast instead so would Hallertau still be a good choice?

If you use an American wheat yeast instead, you'd lose the "hefeweizen" flavor that comes from the yeast. If you wanted to make an American wheat beer, you'd probably want to add some steeping grains.

Yeah, im am more looking towards the american wheat because i want this to be for me and my close friends at my wedding and i think american will go over better with most. Any suggestions as to what kind and how much to steep? Hops?

I'd keep the hops the same. OR, you could go for a more American style and use .75oz of a 10%AA hop (Centennial,Pheonix etc) and .25 of another aroma hop. You could stick with Hallertau for that.
For steeping, you could do .25 Caramel 10 or 20L to bring some flavor to the party.

You would also want to use an American yeast (US-05/WY1056/WLP-001 yeast)

Ok, i am going to use 6 lbs wheat DME, about 1/2 to 1 lb Light DME and the guy at the LHBS recommended steeping 4 oz flaked oats and I think he said 1/2 lb of flaked wheat. I also got liberty and Saaz hops. So I am thinking steeping at 155-160 for 30 minutes then .75 oz liberty at 60 minutes and .25 oz saaz at around 5 minutes.

Does this sound about right? Im mainly concerned about the times for the hopes.

Thanks

Back