Input on my Galaxy/Citra & Vienna brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
OK, have some Galaxy and Citra in the freezer and want to try them. I've read both are great but even better when blended, especially with each other.

I want to do something simple to showcase their hop flavors but also have a nice backbone. I'm guessing this falls into an Americal Pale Ale:

Tell me what you think - enough malt backbone there with just the 2 base grains?

thanks

Recipe Specifications - 5 gallons, 45 IBUs
--------------------------

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

10 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 16.0 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %

0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 10.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 11.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 5.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 5.9 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 14 -
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

I use 2-row and crystal 60 for my apa's so not sure about vienna but as base I'd go 11pounds if using 2-row. I'd also only add 1 pound of crystal for a 5 gallon batch but like I said I'm using 60L so it would make sense to add more munich for desired SRM. You can go either way with the cara, some people like more body in apa's others prefer it "thinner" as I do. As for your hop schedule the only things I'd change would be to make another hop addition at first wort and bump the dry hops up to 1ounce each. Either way though I'd say you're probably on the right track. I've been using galaxy alot lately and really like them too btw. Hope this helps and good luck!

:mug:

You'll be alright with the grain; I would even add 4% light crystal. As is, this is sort of Nugget Nectar inspired. Those hops aren't exactly stellar for bittering, but it's still do-able. Galaxy is similar to Citra, but less tropical and more grassy. Both have equal hop oil content, but Citra has almost double the myrcene. I prefer Citra more because of this reason. And I can get that grassiness from many other hops along with some additional pine and citrus.

I would do this for a 5 gallon batch w/no top off water:

0.75 oz Columbus or Chinook - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Citra - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Galaxy - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Citra - 60 minute hop stand between 100-150 F
1.00 oz Galaxy - 60 minute hop stand between 100-150 F
1.00 oz Citra - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
1.00 oz Galaxy - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

Yeah, I was going to bitter w/ something else, but when I realized how high in AA they both were, I figured I would just use a little bit of them for bittering as well.
I might bitter with something like Magnum or Warrior or CTZ, and move the original bittering amounts to dry hop.

I like some malty presence in most of my beers and try to do something more than just the standard 2-row and crystal. I like to try and get the flavor from grains like Vienna, Munich, Victory, Special Roast, etc.

I don't know about Special B in an IPA/APA, but in addition to what you referenced, using European base malts like Maris Otter, Optic, or Golden Promise usually do the trick. And a small amount of rye, amber, wheat, golden naked oats, honey malt, or other non-American cara- malts can go a long way.

I don't know about Special B in an IPA/APA, but in addition to what you referenced, using European base malts like Maris Otter, Optic, or Golden Promise usually do the trick. And a small amount of rye, amber, wheat, golden naked oats, honey malt, or other non-American cara- malts can go a long way.

I said special "roast" not "B" :) I wouldn't put any Special B in this one. All the grains I mentioned above, I was just talking in general terms about recipes and malty flavors I enjoy....I want to keep this one pretty simple so I really get a feel for the hops. I've used a lot of MO but my local guys don't carry Golden Promise, would love to try it sometime tho.

I don't think it needs any crystal, even the carapils.

Honestly, I hardly ever use Carapils, I usually throw in 4-8 ozs of flaked barley for crazy head retention and some body. Maybe the Vienna and Munich will provide enough of that on their own?

thanks for the feedback fellas

That's true, I have a DFH recipe on tap now and it's the first time I've ever keg-hopped - and the beer has great head and lacing. Must be the hop oils or something

I use 10% or so of toasted raw wheat in most of my APA/IPAs. It's more like victory/biscuit malt for flavor and saving a buck or two. It gives me a house flavor. With those high kilned malts you should have all the malt flavor you could need. With American 2-row you need some crystal malt for flavor. The grain bill would make a good märzen.

Back