How much DME for this starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
The first starter will go into a 1000ml. How much DME light?
I am adding my first starter into 5 gallons. How much DME for the 5 gallon starter?

Your starter size has alot to do with the type beer your brewing.. Check out

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

As a general rule it's 1/2cup DME for 2 cups of water. Boil. Cool. Pitch... After a day or two repeat until you get your desired amount. There's more to it than that...but that's the basics....

Ok so my bday was yesterday and I am having a hard time rapping my mind around this:drunk:
5 gallons = 80 cups/ 2 =40*.5 = 20 cups???? is that right?
So that would be 5 lbs?

How many cups are in a lbs?
edit I saw on the site. 1 lb is =4-4.5 of dme

Oh, I got it! But, I'll go back to the starter question again because I don't understand. Instead of making a 5 gallon starter, why not make a 5 gallon batch of beer? Then, you'd have beer out of the DME, and a big honking yeast cake to use. To step up to a 5 gallon starter for the big batch is important, of course, but I kind of see it as a waste of time when in the same amount of time you can make 5 gallons of beer and keg it and still use the yeast cake.

Oh, I got it! But, I'll go back to the starter question again because I don't understand. Instead of making a 5 gallon starter, why not make a 5 gallon batch of beer? Then, you'd have beer out of the DME, and a big honking yeast cake to use. To step up to a 5 gallon starter for the big batch is important, of course, but I kind of see it as a waste of time when in the same amount of time you can make 5 gallons of beer and keg it and still use the yeast cake.

I have seen the question posed a lot in other threads. My question is will it work? I want to use wl 500 a trappist yeast. I am not sure what kind of beer would come from a gravity of 1.040. Plus, my goal is not make great beer because I want great healthy yeast.
I dont know if this is right. I am just restating what I have read. Please correct me if I am wrong or right.

I have seen the question posed a lot in other threads. My question is will it work? I want to use wl 500 a trappist yeast. I am not sure what kind of beer would come from a gravity of 1.040. Plus, my goal is not make great beer because I want great healthy yeast.
I dont know if this is right. I am just restating what I have read. Please correct me if I am wrong or right.

Here's what I'd do- make a starter for a 5 gallon batch and make that batch. So, 1/2 cup DME into 2 cups of water boiled, cooled and allowed to ferment out. Put that into a 5 gallon batch (OG can be up to 1.068 or so, easy). When that batch is done, use THAT yeast slurry for your big batch.

For a big batch, you're going to want a big amount of yeast slurry. Check out mrmalty.com's pitching calculator to get the exact recommended amount.

My thought was just that if you're making a 5 gallon starter, you might as well make beer! It's the same thing!

You can go up to 1.065 and you will be fine, the best thing you can do is aerate really well and re-pitch the yeast as soon as possible after the fermentation has completed so they don't burn through their energy reserves.

Back