Something is missing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the recipe? Does it taste "thin", like watery, or is it more like "flavorless" or bland?

YES..j/k. It taste watery and flaver less.

12 2 row
1 10L
1 cara munich

1/2 sorachi ace 60
1/2 sterling 45
1/2 cascade 30
1/2 cascade and sorachi ace 15

Pacman yeast

mashed @ 158

Wow- if you mashed at 158, it should actually be "thick". Is your thermometer accurate?

You don't really have too much in the way of "body builders" in there- the crystal is pretty light, and so is the cara munich.

How old is this beer?

Maybe a couple of pounds of Victory, or a half pound of a darker crystal like Crystal 40?

Is it fully carbed? I somethimes find that lighter beers can seem a little thin if they're inadequately carbed.

Wow- if you mashed at 158, it should actually be "thick". Is your thermometer accurate?

You don't really have too much in the way of "body builders" in there- the crystal is pretty light, and so is the cara munich.

How old is this beer?

i'd check my thermometer. at 158 you should be around 1.016-20 for fg.
also you don't have a lot of malt to balance the hops used which might contibute to the thin body feel.

I just checked the thermometer and it is right on with my other one.

It's been in the keezer for a week.

Mustangj - Give another week to two to full carb and condition. I think in three weeks you will be tasting a completely different beer.

No issues with over sparging or anything? What ratio for mash, and how much did you sparge with...ie, what was the pre-boil volume?

I did that once brewing with a buddy, on his setup...we got yakking and not paying attention and ended up over sparging, consequently to me the beer seemed thin.

Now I have a marled stick and sparge to my calculated volume....

No issues with over sparging or anything? What ratio for mash, and how much did you sparge with...ie, what was the pre-boil volume?

I did that once brewing with a buddy, on his setup...we got yakking and not paying attention and ended up over sparging, consequently to me the beer seemed thin.

Now I have a marled stick and sparge to my calculated volume....

Nope...1.25qt to 1 pound ended up with 6.5gal ( Pre-boil).

I'll second the vote for young and not carb'ed enough. My fresh hop ale tasted thin, just like you described when I first tapped the keg. I held off tasting any more and now a week later, the carbonation is there and so is the body.

I'll second the vote for young and not carb'ed enough. My fresh hop ale tasted thin, just like you described when I first tapped the keg. I held off tasting any more and now a week later, the carbonation is there and so is the body.

I'm hopping that's what it is.

I had such great expectations for the Sorahci Ace hops.

May be I missed it, but how long was it in the fermenter before kegging?

Hope it gets better with conditioning. Would be nice to get a report on the Sorachi. Been thinking about giving them a try.

I brewed this three weeks ago. The fermitation was real fast. I broke my hydromider on brew day but It finished at 1.02.

I dry hopped my last IPA with 1 oz of Sorachi and it was great.

May be I missed it, but how long was it in the fermenter before kegging?

Hope it gets better with conditioning. Would be nice to get a report on the Sorachi. Been thinking about giving them a try.

Me and a friend had a glass. I now think it just needed time.:ban:

Hey bro...Is this bottled?

If so bring a few to Cap n Cork tomorrow...maybe have a few of us tasting it can pimp out what's wrong with it....

Oh I see your stuff is all kegged...wanna bring the keg?

You will have the purpose opportunity to have a BUNCH of brewers tasting it and helping figure it out....

Print out a copy of the recipe too....

If you don't wanna haul the keg and have a beer gun...just fill a growler or something, just so we can see what's up with it.

Back