Maryland Fall Brew Day 2008 - 10/11/2008

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
*EDIT*

Signup NOW IN PROGRESS!! See end of thread!!

Ok, here's the plan we agreed on yesterday at the Spring Brew Day tasting. Much fun was had by all, more fun by others who nearly burned themselves playing with bottle rockets.

Saturday October 11, 2008 + 11:00am
Joppa, MD (about 10-15 miles north of Baltimore City just off I-95

Group brew will be Jamil's Robust Porter (AG) from his book "Brewing Classic Styles." I've made this recipe before, and it is fantastic, and a great dark hearty brew for the winter.

Bring some homebrew, and maybe we'll even bust out the grill and make some burgers and dogs and such while we brew.

PM me for directions closer to the event, as I don't actually live there yet (moving in next week).

As we get closer, we need a good headcount, and I will get all the ingredients ahead of time so we don't have to rely on people bringing this and that. I will figure out what we need and how much each 5 gallon batch costs ahead of time. Bring cash to pay for your share of the ingredients. Looking at the recipe - I would assume it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-25 for a 5g batch. (16 pounds of grain and 2.5oz hops)

Recpie for those who care can be found here:

A ProMash Recipe - Robust Porter

(Note: For those of you who were at the last brewday and need to chip in yet for ingredients - you can paypal me - jezter6 &at& gmail.com - it was $17.25 per 5g batch)

Be prepared! Brew now so you have beer to share and trade!

I've prepared this date in advance for people who have a rough time making it to our poorly planned usual events. :)

See you in October!

Address - 325 Joppa Crossing Ct, Joppa MD 21085. Do not go to 325 Joppa Crossing ROAD, different place. I am at the nexus of the universe - the corner of Joppa Crossing and Joppa Crossing. :p

*EDIT*

Signup NOW IN PROGRESS!! See end of thread!!

I have it on my calendar for now.

I'll get you some green for all the tobacco I enjoyed.

Also, anyone want to start a IMHBT Group for our malted multitude of motley mashing motherf'ers?

I have it on my calendar for now.

I'll get you some green for all the tobacco I enjoyed.

Also, anyone want to start a IMHBT Group for our malted multitude of motley mashing motherf'ers?

i was looking for EXL yesterday to suggest that he do it :) since hes bored alot~! I actually started one.... but got busy, and gave up at that :)

Drac: No worries on the hookah tobacco bro. We left 5g extra brew with EXL though since we did 20 gallons down if you want to get in touch with him to find a way to get it. Just because you were passed out on the lawnchair smoking hookah doesn't mean you weren't present for the making of the beer.

I'm a bit busy to make the group, but will definately be joining up whenever someone else makes it!

In the meantime - get the word out. Find ADX! Find flytact! Get it on the calendar! Biggest. Brewday. Evar.

There's a place right down the road that delivers a 24" pizza.

98 loves them so much, that if we were to NOT attempt to order one, he would riot and kill us all then go eat pizza by himself.

Question on logistics...

How do you swing needing several hoses for water/chilling/etc.? Never been to a mass brewing before, just wondered how it works.

claphasma said:
does thi mean you are coming? or just peaking?

I don't know. I might sorta kinda plan on it, but honestly, I'm prone to doing things on a whim. I might say "I didn't plan on it, but that brew day thing is in a few hours, I should go".

I might, just as equally decided three hours before that I don't feel like making the drive.

This sounds like fun. I am in Silver Spring. I am pretty sure I can make it - I might bring 1 or 2 others (at least a designated driver). I have two kids, 1 and 4, are kids allowed?

If I understand this - we make batches of beer and then we all bring home a batch? So I should bring also a primary fermentor?

I'm going to talk this up to SWMBO, and I think I might be able to sell her on it.

I would be able to bring at least three keggles, which will fit in my Element easily enough.

I have that three tier, but no way to move it, so if someone wants to swing by The Dena with a pickup on the way there, that would be cool. Otherwise I don't really have a burner unless I can borrow the SQ14 from my regular brew buddies (assuming they don't come too!).

Even if I can't make it that day I'd be willing to lend the three keggles and three tier to you guys. It'll give me an excuse to replace the hoses.

Moonpile said:
I would be able to bring at least three keggles, which will fit in my Element easily enough.

Last time I went to Maryland Brew Day, one of 98EXL's "people" pulled up in an Element and I had to tag it. Be prepared to get tagged.

Don't know what I'm talking about?

mid-atlantic_meetup_4.jpg

Element Owner's Club!

This sounds like fun. I am in Silver Spring. I am pretty sure I can make it - I might bring 1 or 2 others (at least a designated driver). I have two kids, 1 and 4, are kids allowed?

If I understand this - we make batches of beer and then we all bring home a batch? So I should bring also a primary fermentor?

Not that I think there would be a problem with it, but I would (in general) consider kids a bad idea when also considering bringing a designated driver.

Boiling liquids and 10 drunk dudes is dangerous enough for us, but I couldn't live with myself if one of the kids trips over the propane tank sending scalding water over her little brother.

That's just my 2c, YMMV.

By the way, we drink fairly heavily and get too drunk to properly put ingredients in, and we also smoke hookah like it's going out of style.

and shoot fireworks.....

i see nothing wrong with kids..... but.... as he said, drinking and fireworks tend not to be good for kids.

Yes yes, must make sure to say the blatently obvious so that the pretentious assumers don't get panties in a tizzy.

But yeah, it's probably not the best environment. :)

god, how come no one has PM'ed me this thread?

Anyway, that sounds like a great date, it's 98EXL Birthday Week, so I'm stocked!

I'm going to try to see if I can't bring some sort of fun snacking food so we can maybe snack a little while we drink so we don't get too trashed to early.

Porter sounds great, I'm n ot that big of a fan, but I realize that that always changes when it gets cold out.

What? PM you?? this thread has 3 pages and also was linked in the MD brewday group? how can you say you didn't see it?

tard! :p

Birthday weekend - scary ****. Now we'll be TWICE as drunken.

Are people bringing non-brewing spouses? I actually have mine kinda talked into it, on the basis that there'd be some people for her to meet.

Not bringing my daughter!

Maybe bringing one of my brewing buddies.

Only problem I can forsee is that this is during the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and I usually help my mom out by showing boats back at her office. Oh well, what's more important?

yes I am a tard, but who cares, I just had the newest (read youngest) Stone Vertical Epic....and SWMBO just had it on tap at Stone an hour ago.

I'll bring her along to the event, she likes beer and brews with me, so if you guys don't mind, I'll bring her along since she hasn't been in attendance since the winter one.

So how much beer should we bring?

great question! enough?

hows that for an answer? however much you feel you can share (and is worth sharing) we wont lack im sure..... bring alot! and just take the extra home :p

as to me, ill bring about a bucket i bet.... but it depends how much i drink in the next month!

great question! enough?

hows that for an answer? however much you feel you can share (and is worth sharing) we wont lack im sure..... bring alot! and just take the extra home :p

as to me, ill bring about a bucket i bet.... but it depends how much i drink in the next month!

with that back, probably a lot :D

great question! enough?

Hmm have to think about that I have about 50 gallons right now (kegged) and 15 more fermenting.. Guess I'll bring a sampler pack of 22oz bottles of whichever 4 are on tap at the time.

Hmm have to think about that I have about 50 gallons right now (kegged) and 15 more fermenting.. Guess I'll bring a sampler pack of 22oz bottles of whichever 4 are on tap at the time.

22's are easier for sampling IMHO

Back