BIAB Basket sits too high... how to retain heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha...thanks for the plug pentiumone, what wilser is trying to say is "WHY USE A BASKET", it is called BIAB, not BIABB or brew in a basket bag, really not trying to promote sales, I have a pretty good day job and I think my prices reflect that, just can't figure why lots of brewers desire to use the basket??? I use the basket for seafood boils...works great!

I like using a basket for a several reasons. It's much sturdier than a mesh bag alone and it gives me greater control over my brewing process. I don't need to worry about it scorching or tearing when I'm brewing high gravity beers. I can easily squeeze the grain as the basket hangs over the kettle (using a lid or other object) instead of using a separate container outside of the kettle.

Bottom line is I'm sure the same can be accomplished with or without a basket, and in 12-dozen other ways. It's fine if you don't believe in using a basket. It's also fine if others choose to use a basket. It's OK if some people choose to brew differently from your preferred method.

I'm in the BIABB camp. I like having the basket to better contain the bag and don't have to rely on clipping the bag around the outside rim of the BK. It makes it easier for me to hoist out the grains with a rope & pulley.

I had the same thing happen, with a basket that protruded about an inch above the rim of my BK. During mashing I would set the lid on top and wrap aluminum foil around the kettle to block the gap, but I was still losing 3 or 4 degrees during a 60-minute rest, despite using a blanket to insulate the whole thing. The reason I had this problem in the first place was that the basket was an afterthought, and not designed to go with my shorter kettle.

So I cut 1-1/4" off the top of the basket and replaced the handle. I removed burrs so the bag won't get snagged. Now I can place the lid on my BK with the basket inside. Granted, cutting off the top of the basket removed its rim, so it is now a little less rigid, but that shouldn't be a problem.

clippies_zps90059d74.jpg

I also made an insulating wrap for the kettle, using several layers of Reflectix insulation. I haven't tried the insulation yet, but hopefully it, plus the removal of the gap, will keep my mash temps more consistent.

KettleInsulationjpg_zpsfa1d308a.jpg

Nice job on the wrap! I run mine on a blichmann burner and have feared the while thing catching on fire, so I haven't done it. I bet it helps a lot!

Chris,
what BC did you buy? i haven't seen that explicitly stated in this thread. i ask 'cause i was looking at getting the 1182 which supposedly will work with EBIABB. but if the clearance is wrong i may suck it up and get the 62qt 1160 and do a sparge step for high gravity 10 gal batches.

Yes I am also a fan of the BIABIAB (brew in a bag in a basket). I find it a lost easier to let the basket rest at the top of my pot and then squeeze all the delicious wort out of the grain. I also drilled all of the holes on the bottom of the basket much larger and the same for the holes on the lower half of the sides, to promote better flow while recirculating the mash and draining. Another positive of this method for me is that the bag can not get sucked into the pump while recirculating.

Latest posts

Back