First step mash on Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJS

Reaction score
For some reason i wanted to try a step mash. Didnt go as planned. Hit 120, 130, 140, couldnt get to sach. rest, jumped to 169 for mash out.

For each rest i pulled part of the mash for a decoction.

Of course, i got some sugar out of it, O.G. was 1.057 and fermentation is fine, but i wonder what kind of taste will come out of it. Basically my highest step was only 140F.

Question: anyone have experience missing that low or can determine if its drinkable?

Does each decoction pull out enough long chains so i dont have a thin beer?

I remember now i didnt do a mash out, the 169F was a batch sparge.

Also, the grain was added around 120F, but can you start with cold water and direct fire all the way up?

bump

no worries, going to post how it comes out. Smells like normal fermentation. Maybe 140F sach rest is fine as long as part of the mash was decocted.

Actually, i mashed before going to work and finished brewing later. So, the mash was about 4 hours, luckily the Coleman Extreme has 0 heat loss

Interested in how this turns out. I think it'll be fine as you were able to mash at 140 for four hours. Did you take a PH reading?

Did you take a PH reading?

Good question. I did not due to being so used to the same numbers every week (i brew every week), i sort of skip some steps after so many repeats. My PH meter probably has some dust on it.

The beer is carbed and in the kegerator now, waiting to be served tonight. Right away i notice the color is off by about 5 or 6 points, which is uncommon for me.

It did go from 1.057 to 1.012 though and i did try some but i dont really judge the beer till its been cleared, carbed and cold.

I'd be surprised if you got a lot of conversion with a rest at 140F unless it was a particularly long rest.

Oh, he definitely got conversion. Per John Palmer:

The temperature most often quoted for mashing is about 153°F. This is a compromise between the two temperatures that the two enzymes favor. Alpha works best at 154-162°F, while beta is denatured (the molecule falls apart) at that temperature, working best between 131-150°F.

MC

Im not sure what to make of this beer. My brothers like it, but im not drinking it.

I tried to take it offline and the protesting began. Oh well.

i dont remember too much, as this was years ago. Just following up on something i started and needed to finish. I think it was thin, hop waterish, never got close to proper SRM.

Back