Cooking with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Was thinking of throwing some dark DME into a pork stew or a chili. Anyone have any experience with doing that?

It's used more commonly in baking. DME can be substituted in for (some or all) sugar (that's where the term "malted" comes from).

Couldn't you boil some down to caramelize it, then add it to ribs or a pork roast ?

I usually boil my bratwurst in (good) beer and boil it down to where the liquid is almost like thin honey. Then they go on the grill.

Crap, I'm hungry again.

................."Mrs. Crane, I'm looking at you, you wore green so you could hide. I dont blame you, you're a tramp! Ooh! That was a good one........ (Carl - Caddyshack)

Mmmm that does sound good. SWMBO likes her chilis sweet for some reason so DME might be good for that.

Malted chilli :)

Sounds good, but it might be TOO sweet. Use it sparingly. Fermented beer might still be better because you have a more complex and mature flavor (thanks to the yeast) and the alcohol that burns off really helps bring out all the goodness. Try it out, and let us know!:fro:

Back