Beer on the history channel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't find anybody talking about this so I figured I'd toss it out there. On Sunday Jan. 30th Discovery Channel is having a special - How Beer Saved the World. Who knows, it might be interesting...
How Beer Saved the World

Annoyingly, my DVR guide only goes up to 3:30pm on the 30th. So I guess I have to wait until tomorrow, and hopefully remember to program it then...

I will almost undoubtedly forget, though.

Cool, I love anything beer. Last time they did a segment on beer they came to my club Maltose Falsons and included our meeting.

I'll catch it sooner or later! One thing I'm noting recently is how many ancient brews really aren't beers (take George Washington's Porter recipe for example). Now's a lot better time to be a beer drinker IMO.

oh ill prob watch it.. that is one of the main channels i watch.. i have the modern marvels one on beer somewhere on my computer as well as brewmasters...

Got it scheduled on the DVR.....hope it's better than that "Brewmasters" thing. Oh, well, TV is what it is.

Maureen Ogle posted something about it this weekend on Facebook. She's in it. Here's what she posted;

New beer documentary airs Jan. 30th on Discovery. My part in it consisted of being the person who rolled my eyes a lot and explained why everyone else in it was full of s***.

Sounds like it's not going to be all that accurate, more like the old bs that she countered in her book. But still worth checking out. But with an open mind....

Some 13,000 years ago we have discovered that the first crops planted were of barley (I will give you a hint, it makes a really sucky bread). Some of the oldest writing we know of is over 6,000 years old, written in cuneiform by the Sumerians (think before Alexander conquered Babylon). It is called the Hymn to Ninkasi.

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/304

How do we know the Sumerians made beer. They thought it important enough to carve its recipe into stone!

Back