Best Keg supply?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZWood15

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to get into kegging, but am unsure of the best place to buy some kegs. I know kegconnection.com gets some good reviews, but having never done this before, I was looking for some guidance... Any other places I should check?

Also, would it make more sense to go Ball lock or Pin lock? Some sites seem to have one but not the other, and I'm assuming that keeping all of them consistent would be the best way to do it.

Thanks!!
-Z

I've actually bought all 7 of my kegs off of ebay. With shipping they usually total out at about $33 a piece. I've bought from numerous sellers and didn't have problems with any of them. One keg leaked when I got it and they seller just sent me a replacement for free so I ended up with a spare keg to use for parts. I went with ball lock kegs but don't know anything about pinlocks. I would definitely pick one or the other though. Don't get both setups.

If you plan on using a mini fridge then go ball lock. Most mini fridges will not fit 2 pin-locks since they are slightly larger in diameter.

I got mine from Kegconnection, and other than a damaged regulator (shipping, which they replaced right away no questions asked) I love it. They seem to have very good customer service, and stand behind their product.

Hello all,

I'm looking to get into kegging, but am unsure of the best place to buy some kegs. I know kegconnection.com gets some good reviews, but having never done this before, I was looking for some guidance... Any other places I should check?

Also, would it make more sense to go Ball lock or Pin lock? Some sites seem to have one but not the other, and I'm assuming that keeping all of them consistent would be the best way to do it.

Thanks!!
-Z

Ball lock tend to be easier to find lately. I don't see too many pin locks around. Ball locks are slightly taller and slightly thinner. Ball lock have manual release. Pin locks don't usually have manual release. If you get threaded quick releases instead of barbed you can switch between the two easily. Check your LHBS and Craigslist.

I'm also getting ready to place my first keg order. After all my pricing and reviewing feedback, it appears that keg connection is the where I'll purchase. I sent them an email asking for a quote on a custom set up idea I have, but haven't received a reply.

I'm bought a 7.2 cu ft freezer that is currently set up for a standard keg. It has a standard faucet in the front body of the freezer ( no idea how he figured out where to drill it) and includes a basic regulator, sankey coupler and 2.5 lb bottle.

I'm going to make it a 3 keg homebrew system. My idea is to get a dual body regulator and split one output to keep 2 kegs at service and have the other line for carbing when needed. I don't know if ball or pin will matter??? I see that most of these "kits" come with 5' of 3/16 beer line. After reading several threads here, I get the idea that 8-10' is better. I plan to use the existing faucet for one connection and put picnic taps on the other 2 for now. Future plans will most likely include a collar to add more faucets. I can't decide on the keg style. I also can't decide if I should go ahead and get a 5# lb tank with the kit and keep the 2.5# tank as backup or save the $ and just run off the small tank. How many kegs will a 2.5# tank serve? Also, I'm debating whether to use a Y and 2 check valves on one of the regulators or to just use a cross to split it? Could also save some $ by adding a secondary regulator instead of buying a new dual body, but I think the install will be cleaner with a dual, since I don't have a collar to mount anything to.

Any suggestions?

morebeer.com

just ordered and received mine the other day. 4 un-reconditioned kegs for $115 free shipping. All kegs came fairly clean and they all hold pressure very well. I highly recommend

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18201/103708/Bundle_of_4_Unreconditioned_Kegs

Unlike most vendors, MoreBeer will not guarantee that their kegs hold pressure. I would avoid them.

I have purchased kegs from kegglebrewing.com (cheap, pretty beat up) and Brewmasterswarehouse.com (more expensive, but in excellent condition). The rest of my draft system is from kegconnection.com. I would recommend any of them.

+1 for Kegconnections. I did a lot of comparison shopping before buying and unless some other place is giving a sale, they seem to be the cheapest. Plus, when you order their kits, they already assemble most of the gas and beer lines to the QDs and regulators. Not a huge deal, but saves you a lot of time.

I'm also getting ready to place my first keg order. After all my pricing and reviewing feedback, it appears that keg connection is the where I'll purchase. I sent them an email asking for a quote on a custom set up idea I have, but haven't received a reply.

I just purchased a set from Kegconnections.com. The best bet is to call them up and ask to talk to Ben. Things move fast after that. You can also talk to them about how to configure their kits into something that you want.

Sily_Rabit If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the 5# co2 tank. I have just one 5# tank and I wish I had another. Every now and then you'll go to pull a draught and find your CO2 completely drained out over night. If you live in a place like I do, the gas store is not open on weekends, and you'll be stuck without gas for 2 days. I'm not real sure how long each tank lasts. My first tank was only used for dispensing the beer and it lasted for months. If your force carbing with them, they obviously won't last nearly as long. I'm just guessing but I think a 5# tank carbs up somewhere between 6-10 corny's

Check Craigslist. I scored seven kegs for $90. Can't beat that price. They were dirty and needed some love, but all in working condition. Avoiding shipping is key to getting a good price. My LHBS sells them for $27, which you would have a hard time beating if you ship.

I got my kegging equipment from kegconnection.com last week, and they are great! I'm in AZ, and they are in TX it only takes about 3 days for my stuff to arrive from them.

Excellent customer service too. Both of my taprite regualtor guages were damaged during shipping, and when I spoke to Todd, he had 2 new ones shipped out no questions asked. I even asked if he would like me to return the damaged pair to him, and he said to just keep them. Therefore, no extra shipping expenses to me either. Kegconnection has my business!

Thanks again Todd!

Check Craigslist. I scored seven kegs for $90. Can't beat that price. They were dirty and needed some love, but all in working condition. Avoiding shipping is key to getting a good price. My LHBS sells them for $27, which you would have a hard time beating if you ship.

everyone move here, sounds like a great place to me

I bought 3 ball lock Cornies with the 10lb. Co2 from Kegconnections.com Very good customer service. Answered many questions for me, with Patience (me being a noob). Even had my order put together and shipped the same day I called. I removed the few soda stickers with a razor and Goof Off, Then shined them up with 400 grit wet sandpaper. 10-15 minutes each and they look great.

Does chicompany.net still have used ball locks? Seemed to have either listed as sold out or disappeared.
+1 on kegconnection.com although I think my last ball lock kegs were from Midwest Supplies.

i believe there was an ad in this months' byo mag for kegs. It was either $20 each, or maybe it was 4 for $80. I don't remember and I dont have it handy at the present time to verify this.

I'm in Indiana and have had good luck with midwest supplies so I ended up ordering from them. I picked up the freezer tonight and it was in good shape, had one tap in the front and they were controlling the temperature with a basic timer. It had a 2.5# tank with a basic regulator with one gauge, 4 feet of gas line and only 2 feet of beer line. The kegerator equipment is all from micro matic. The freezer is a 7.2 cf ewave.

I put in an order for 2 ball lock kegs with swivel nut connections, 8 foot of beer line for each keg, another 4 foot of gas line, a wye with check valve to split the gas at the regulator, lube, pbw, star san, 2 oring kits and an analog temperature controller. Also picked up their cologne kolsch kit.

I have a lawnmower ale in the secondary that should be ready soon, a honey lager in the primary, a 6 hop BBQ summer ale ready to brew and the kolsch on the way. Ready to put this keezer to work. All in all, this 2 keg kegerator project is running me $400 and the freezer is only 6 months old. Is fed ex here yet?

i believe there was an ad in this months' byo mag for kegs. It was either $20 each, or maybe it was 4 for $80. I don't remember and I dont have it handy at the present time to verify this.

Yep! Flipped through my copy and found it, page 28. Adventures in homebrewing has 4 Ball Lock pressure tested kegs for $80, best I found online after an hour or so of searching.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Set-of-4-Soda-Kegs-5-gallon-Cornelius-keg-_p_1549.html

4 kegs plus O-rings to CO was barely over $100 (Including shipping!) Special ends this month if anyone is interested. Kegging here I come!!

First keg = buy local. Hey I'm in favor of buying local for as much as you can. With a first time keg set up it sure is nice to have a chance to look it over, ask questions and have someone to talk with if problems arise. If you LHBS is good I would go that way. When your experienced then go price shopping if you feel the need.

Kegs will last you a lifetime of brewing, if you pay $5-$10 more and spread that over the next 20,30,40 years or so what does it really mean.

Yep! Flipped through my copy and found it, page 28. Adventures in homebrewing has 4 Ball Lock pressure tested kegs for $80, best I found online after an hour or so of searching.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Set-of-4-Soda-Kegs-5-gallon-Cornelius-keg-_p_1549.html

4 kegs plus O-rings to CO was barely over $100 (Including shipping!) Special ends this month if anyone is interested. Kegging here I come!!

They seem to have this special very often. I have purchase from them twice.

I would buy all my o-rings from that one site that sells them in bulk . . i think its like 100 for 10 bucks or something? Anyone know that site?

Back