jockey box or what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
hi all,

in july i will be going on a 4 day camping trip. i live in the south, so its hot. i am taking several 5 gallon kegs with me. i've never traveled with kegs. i have seen jockey boxes which seems like the best option i suppose. My deal is, the parts to make one are more expensive than buying one. i need a double faucet. to buy one is like $300. I really dont plan on using this thing often as i have a kegerator at home. i thought of putting the kegs in trash cans of ice, but i would have to have a hell of a lot of ice every day and i doubt i could keep that up. any thoughts from the group on what i should be thinking?

TIA,

M

I'll confess that I have never really paid attention to what w jockey box had inside of it, but .... what is a "double faucet"?

Do you just mean that you need two taps on your portable thingamajig?

I say you buy something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Super-Effic...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439a3b0757

Cut it in half to make two 25' coils and put them in a cooler of ice. I wouldn't bother with shanks and real faucets if you have very little planned use for this.... just drill holes in the top of the cooler big enough to run beer line through. Connect lines to the kegs to one side of the coils and cheap cobra/picnic taps on the other ends.

You should be able to make this for $100 or so, I would guess.

I'll confess that I have never really paid attention to what w jockey box had inside of it, but .... what is a "double faucet"?

Do you just mean that you need two taps on your portable thingamajig?

it has stainless steel coils inside of it. about 50ft per tap. yes, i meant i needed two taps, sorry. It's this guy right here...

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/jockey-boxes-pid-CB282R.html

I just dunno what to do...thats a lot of cash for something i wont use that often.

I just saw your other post too...i think you could be on to something. if i cut out the shank parts and reduce the amount of coil i could drastically reduce my cost.

hhhmmmmmmmmmm!!

I've got that stainless chiller, I am planning to have it pull double duty as a chiller when brewing and a cooling coil in a temporary jockey box for parties. With a 5 Gal cooler though, that coil will sit about 6 inches above the lid. Still working out the details. Need to go measure a 10 gal cooler and see if that will work better. Maybe a cutout sanke keg would look good as a jockey box.

I've got that stainless chiller, I am planning to have it pull double duty as a chiller when brewing and a cooling coil in a temporary jockey box for parties. With a 5 Gal cooler though, that coil will sit about 6 inches above the lid. Still working out the details. Need to go measure a 10 gal cooler and see if that will work better. Maybe a cutout sanke keg would look good as a jockey box.

Could you sit two of them side-by-side? I think the OP wants two coils, so he would be cutting it in two pieces. He's only need half the height, but twice the width.

carb in kegs and bottle in 1L ez-cap bottles. you can bring a variety, they are nice to have and fairly inexpensive ($35 for 12L)...

Pick up a couple cases and toss then in a cooler...how much beer do you need for a 4 day trip...

how much beer do you need for a 4 day trip...

I don't know about the OP and how many friends are going with him, but on a four day camping trip with just two of my (randomly selected) buddies, I'm betting we could easily go through three cases That's a 6-er per person per day.

good stuff guys....i'd really rather not have to bottle...ugh. and as for how much beer i need...well, i am one of the suppliers at a festival of sorts...so i need... AS MUCH AS I CAN BREW! hahahaha

I like the idea of splitting the coils....i may look further into that. I do have a friend who used a jockey box at a party...so i might hit him up to, to see if it was his and if he is willing to ..ahem..share...hehe.

Could you sit two of them side-by-side? I think the OP wants two coils, so he would be cutting it in two pieces. He's only need half the height, but twice the width.

Well if you had one of those marine coolers I'm sure you could lay em down and pump beer through two of em at a time with a wye connector for the co2. No way they'd fit two into one gott type cooler. Unless as you say they are cut in half and stacked on top of each other.

Back