how long do the extract brew kits last on the shelf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djlunchbox

Reaction score
i have an older one thats a few years old by now, and a friend wants to get into homebrewing. i told him we could try that kit just so he could see how the process works. think the yeast is caput?

yeah the yeast is probably no good. And the hops also. And the steeping grains as well. Dry extract will probably hard as a rock but still functional. Liquid extract is probably not great but OK. It will not make great beer but it will make something. What kind of kit is it? What was included?

If it's a canned kit, replace the yeast, two years is the practical limit. Something more complicated, see above.

I steeped some fresh grains and made a batch from two 8 year-old cans. Turned them into a stout.

its a true brew canadian ale kit. as stated, when i checked on it earlier the DME was hard as a rock. lol. i think this kit is over 5 years old now, the only thing i'm keeping is the bottlecaps, lol. unless you all think i should keep the can of LME to use someday?

I would start with a fresh batch of everything. Set the odometer at zero and consider the slate is really tabula rasa.

Back