Milwaukee Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In 7 days I will be travelling to my wife's family reunion in Rome.
That's Rome, WI...

In exchange for this arduous journey, I have been granted a 36 hour pass to my former stomping grounds (Milwaukee). In the spring I went back for a day, but beyond that, I really haven't been back for ... 5 years maybe. Here is a tentative rundown of my plan.
Beer Related
  • Lakefront Brewery - I haven't toured since they move from Chambers? location... This is a must tour for me.
  • Discount Liqour - I will have an empty roller for checked baggage.
  • Sprecher Brewery - If time permits. I am a big fan of their Black Bavarian.
Food Related
  • Speed Queen BBQ
  • Culver's
  • Usinger's
Mixed Media
  • Bastille Days - 5k starts at 8PM then the drinking resumes.
  • Art Altenburg's Concertina Bar
I plan on posting photos and reviews ala The Dude https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=969

Couple of questions for locals:
What should I cut out / add?
Once I am in Rome am I totally screwed? I know there's esentially a bar on every corner in Rome and Nekoosa, but will I have to drive to Wisconsin Rapids for good beer?

I don't know any details about the brewery itself (tours, tastings, etc.) but you will be very close to Central Waters Brewing Company in Junction City (just north of WI Rapids). I've seen their beer in the store and picked a few up. I've been impressed. I enjoy their Pale Ale and Burbon Barrel Stout (limited release). So that might be something worth checking out since you'll be so close.

uwmgdman said:
I don't know any details about the brewery itself (tours, tastings, etc.) but you will be very close to Central Waters Brewing Company in Junction City (just north of WI Rapids). I've seen their beer in the store and picked a few up. I've been impressed. I enjoy their Pale Ale and Burbon Barrel Stout (limited release). So that might be something worth checking out since you'll be so close.

Thanks!
Excellent. 25.7 miles. Looks as though the Burbon Barrel Stout was a big favorite. (Sold out in 2 weeks!)

BTW: The Madison side-trip was nixed early on in the negotiation process. Perhaps on the next trip.

olllllo said:
Beer Related
  • Lakefront Brewery - I haven't toured since they move from Chambers? location... This is a must tour for me.
  • Discount Liqour - I will have an empty roller for checked baggage.
  • Sprecher Brewery - If time permits. I am a big fan of their Black Bavarian.
Food Related
  • Speed Queen BBQ
  • Culver's
  • Usinger's
Mixed Media
  • Bastille Days - 5k starts at 8PM then the drinking resumes.
  • Art Altenburg's Concertina Bar

If ya go to Speed Queen go at opening or soon after, the North side has been hopping this year, lots of shootings, get in, get your stuff and get out. Brewcity BBQ could be a half decent subsitute . . .well ok. . . it's not . . . just get in and out for Speed Queen. While you're in the Speed Queen area ya always have Jakes for corned beef on like 15th and North . . . now thats worth the possibility of getting shot
:mug:

There are like 5 Micro brewerys down town I think now . . . Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee Ale House, Water Street Brwery, Rock Bottom Brewery, Stout Brothers . . . those are just off the top of my head, check the phone book when ya get in town

I may be working down at Bastille Days as a Paramedic bike responder, PM me and I'll give ya my cell phone and maybe we can hook up if I'm not working

Pumbaa said:
If ya go to Speed Queen go at opening or soon after, the North side has been hopping this year, lots of shootings, get in, get your stuff and get out. Brewcity BBQ could be a half decent subsitute . . .well ok. . . it's not . . . just get in and out for Speed Queen. While you're in the Speed Queen area ya always have Jakes for corned beef on like 15th and North . . . now thats worth the possibility of getting shot
:mug:

That's the Speed Queen I remember. I'll always look fondly upon the

revolving-bullet-proof-glass-drive-thru-window-with-the-prison-last-meal-food-slot.

This will be a drive thru affair....

Pumbaa said:
There are like 5 Micro brewerys down town I think now . . . Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee Ale House, Water Street Brwery, Rock Bottom Brewery, Stout Brothers . . . those are just off the top of my head, check the phone book when ya get in town

Never been to Jakes or Stout Brothers. I'll keep that in mind.

Pumbaa said:
I may be working down at Bastille Days as a Paramedic bike responder, PM me and I'll give ya my cell phone and maybe we can hook up if I'm not working

Then you may be seeing me either way. I'll be the one clutching my heart gasping for air.

olllllo said:
Then you may be seeing me either way. I'll be the one clutching my heart gasping for air.

ROFL

OK then just keep saying Pumbaa and if I am working and I get to ya I'll hook ya up with the morphine . . . but I can only give ya 10mg in a IV push unless I get a doctor to order more.
:drunk:

You are making me homesick!!! We'll actually be in that neck of the woods on the 15th of this month. I don't think we will get as far south as Milwaukee but I'm sure we'll be able to find a Culvers!!! No Discount Liquor though, that SUCKS!!!!

Have fun!!!

EDIT: If you are in Milwaukee, SCREW Culver's and go to Kopp's for the custard and the cheeseburgers...TO DIE FOR. Uh, literally, prolly. :D

Mmm, Bacon Butterburger Deluxe.

ads_25_Ad.jpg

A heart attack waiting to happen.
I now officially prefer In-n-Out burger though :rockin:

Why don't I know of Speed Queen BBQ? Where are they located; 35th and North based on Pumbaa's comments? If your into ribs, Jerry's old town in Germantown was always my favorite (heard its new owners now though). I'm getting hungry...

Dude said:
EDIT: If you are in Milwaukee, SCREW Culver's and go to Kopp's for the custard and the cheeseburgers...TO DIE FOR. Uh, literally, prolly. :D

Agree. Kopps makes Culvers look like day old Mc Donalds

For sirloin burgers and custard Kopps is outstanding. For a full menu, I like Culver's. Guess I'll have to eat twice. My Kopps record is 2 half pounder CB's.
but that was in my college days.

I haven't been to Jerry's in 15 years, but the ribs and french onion soup was awesome. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Speed Queen... http://www.foodspot.com/speedqueen/index.html

Convenient drive thu access...
map.gif

BTW: Karl Kopp (Kopps) owns AZ88 here in PHX, which is a copy of Elsa's Deli in Cathedral Square, right down to the freaky art and the unlabeled knobless bathroom doors.

Dude said:
You are making me homesick!!! We'll actually be in that neck of the woods on the 15th of this month. I don't think we will get as far south as Milwaukee but I'm sure we'll be able to find a Culvers!!! No Discount Liquor though, that SUCKS!!!!

Have fun!!!

Stole my thunder. Kopp's rules.

BTW, I know I'm about the only one on the planet that ALWAYS has baseball on the brain, but how about Miller Park? (if the Brewers are in town when you're here that is. I don't know when you're coming)

Based on that address of 12th and Walnut :eek: I'm not sure I'd be venturing around there either. Think my grandparents lived kind of close to there; in the 30's-60's. I used to work a 3rd shift delivery job driving around that area / near north side. Had to go to Harley, Masterlock and Briggs between 10p - 1a back in the early 80's and it was rough then. Can't imagine nowadays. Prostitutes on North were always entertaining. I'll be going to Jerry's for ribs ;).

For some reason, I'm thinking that the Stout Brothers closed down. I was in that area about a year or so ago, and I noticed it was gone. Maybe it just moved- I don't know. I would walk from Milwaukee Ale House up to Water Street Brewery. Louie's Demise at MAH is the best. My favorite breakfast is George Webb's, and Kopp's for lunch. Wow, that would be a vacation!
Lakefront Brewery has tours/tastings, but you have to call in advance. Sprecher has a nice tour (with great samples) and you have to call them in advance, too.

Have a great time!

Lorena

desertBrew said:
Based on that address of 12th and Walnut :eek: I'm not sure I'd be venturing around there either. Think my grandparents lived kind of close to there; in the 30's-60's. I used to work a 3rd shift delivery job driving around that area / near north side. Had to go to Harley, Masterlock and Briggs between 10p - 1a back in the early 80's and it was rough then. Can't imagine nowadays. Prostitutes on North were always entertaining. I'll be going to Jerry's for ribs ;).

Dude said:
I've never even heard of Speed Queen. I'll have to ask the motherly unit if she has ever been there.

This pretty much sums it up...
Speed Queen...as friendly as they can be, from behind bullet proof glass.

The Speed Queen Hot BBQ sauce can be like a punch in the face if you open the styro container too fast. It aint for everyone. I hear you can buy it at Jewel, but for all you expats, try this link.

http://www.brewcityonline.com/brewcity/dept.asp?dept_id=5040

I used to work for Milw County in the parks. Worked Kozy, Gordon, Carver. I hear Jackson Pk is bad now, used to be the place to be.

ablrbrau said:
BTW, I know I'm about the only one on the planet that ALWAYS has baseball on the brain, but how about Miller Park? (if the Brewers are in town when you're here that is. I don't know when you're coming)

Alas, they are here (PHX) when I am there (MKE).

I'm going to be in Millywaukee on Saturday night for the Cubs-Brewers game. Me and some friends are staying the night up there. Where are some good bars for 4 guys to find some trouble?

Cheesefood said:
I'm going to be in Millywaukee on Saturday night for the Cubs-Brewers game. Me and some friends are staying the night up there. Where are some good bars for 4 guys to find some trouble?

If you don't feel like tailgating before the game I highly recommend Kelly's Bleacher's for an excellent pre-game meal and I do believe they have some decent specialty beers as well......(puts the Cubby Bear to shame...)have fun and GO CREW!:mug:

Cheesefood said:

I no longer have my finger on the pulse of the city. Couple questions though:

What part of town are you staying? Around the Park? This kind of trubba?
(.)(.)

I haven't been in Milwaukee since before the craft beer revolution, had family there. Didn't get much beef druing the visit, but lots of excellent bratwurst (AKA brots. Guess people didn't feel right about throwing brats on the grill).

OK, it just got firmed up. I'm working as a paramedic bike responder down at bastile days Thrusday and Friday 5:30 PM until Midnight. Saturday I'm working 24 hours at my new firehouse at near Timmerman Field . . . Sunday I'll be asleep =P. Let me know which days you are going to be downtown or give me a ring on the cell # I gave ya. I wont be able to have a beer but I could atleast say hey:D

If you are going to be in Milwaukee on a Saturday you can hit the Sprecher and Lakefront tours back to back. Sprecher requires a reservation, Lakefront is first come first serve.... Last few times I have been to Lakefront. the tours have been sold out before 2. I would recomend making a 3pm Sprecher reservation and hitting the early (12) Lakefront tour.

This should start you off with a good Pre-Bastille bender (especially if you tip on Lakefront and redeem the free pint coupon).

Boy, what a FUN time we had in Milwaukee. We went straight to the ballpark parking lot for some quality tailgating (something Cubs fans miss out on). Inside, the park is GORGEOUS. It was all Cubs fans there - in the lot, inside the park and in and about the city.

So after the game, we went out to a bar near our hotel. The bartender chick was a total junky and was on something. She didn't think we should have to pay for drinks so she gave them to us for free, or would only charge us a fraction and then proceed to pocket what she charged us. We then went to another bar for a little while, then walked back to the first bar to find out she got fired.

So then we were walking back to the hotel and see - of all people - Dusty Baker and Sarge walking towards us. He stopped to shake our hands. Nice guy. I called him Mr. Baker and he responded with "Call me Dusty, Mother F!!!ER!!!" (I was drunk and star-struck. I should have called him Sh!tty.)

So now I'm back. Thanks for the great time, Milwaukee.

Cheesefood said:
Boy, what a FUN time we had in Milwaukee. We went straight to the ballpark parking lot for some quality tailgating (something Cubs fans miss out on). Inside, the park is GORGEOUS. It was all Cubs fans there - in the lot, inside the park and in and about the city.

So after the game, we went out to a bar near our hotel. The bartender chick was a total junky and was on something. She didn't think we should have to pay for drinks so she gave them to us for free, or would only charge us a fraction and then proceed to pocket what she charged us. We then went to another bar for a little while, then walked back to the first bar to find out she got fired.

So then we were walking back to the hotel and see - of all people - Dusty Baker and Sarge walking towards us. He stopped to shake our hands. Nice guy. I called him Mr. Baker and he responded with "Call me Dusty, Mother F!!!ER!!!" (I was drunk and star-struck. I should have called him Sh!tty.)

So now I'm back. Thanks for the great time, Milwaukee.

and on top of all that, the Brewers chipped in by choking on three of the four games.....Man, where would we be without Cappy( who is FINALLY in the All-Star game, no thanks to Scrap Iron......)

Glad you had a good time!:D

abraxas said:
This should start you off with a good Pre-Bastille bender (especially if you tip on Lakefront and redeem the free pint coupon).

I'm doing the 5k. It will be the first race that I have ever done under the influence. Years ago they used to allow (look the other way) drinking on the course.

BAH I was there for the 5k. I was they paramedic on the bike . . .
>.<
You shoulda called.

All I have to say is HOLY **** were there the tottaly freeking hot women down there Friday. I was in absolute awe at the amount of just drop dead gorgouse women that were down there. I mean usually you have a typical Mlwaukee "cattle herd" but they must have brought woemn in from out of town. I havent seen that many woemn in stilletto heals for . . . EVER.

So how did your night go? The race was a pretty close finish, musta been less then a second between first and second place, and the guy that won had a great finish.

Too bad I missed ya. I got off work at midnight even brought some spare clothes to get out of my little bike outfit to have a couple beers afterwards
:tank:

Sorry Pumbaa, I blew it. After the run, I got hijacked out of there by some friends that I didn't even tell I was going to be there. I'll have some pictures to upload soon.

OMG, Milwaukee....Kopp's, tailgating, Sprecher, Lakefront, hotties....lord help us old-ish farts!!!

I remember waking up hung-like-he!# on a Sunday from a good night of drinking Milwaukee's Best at a frat party and getting on a bus en-route to County Stadium for a Sunday mid-morning tailgate party for a Packer's game at County Stadium. Of course, the drinking started on the bus...you guessed it...the Beast.

Summerfest, German-fest, Festa-Italiana, Polish-fest, Irish-Fest, Mexican Fiesta...

Back