Overshot F.G. in 8 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
This hasn't happened to me before. With my new system (Kal Clone), I want to understand what could have happened before I do another batch.

Anyway, I follow Kal's Pale Ale clone which has a O.G. at 1.056 and F.G. of 1.010. After calibrating my hydrometer I found out I did hit my O.G. which was great (87% efficiency).

However, yesterday I racked to a secondary and the gravity was 1.009. Checked it a few times and it was a dead on 1.009. Today I see it is bubbling a little bit, so it's still working. I did my typical starter for a 6 gallon batch and used Wyeast 1056.

My mash temp was 152. It was 152 for 75 minutes of the 90 minute mash (once the temp hit 152 after grain was added to the water).

I know I'm not far off, but I'm concerned I might end up with 4 or 5 points under my F.G.

Thoughts?

This hasn't happened to me before. With my new system (Kal Clone), I want to understand what could have happened before I do another batch.

Anyway, I follow Kal's Pale Ale clone which has a O.G. at 1.056 and F.G. of 1.010. After calibrating my hydrometer I found out I did hit my O.G. which was great (87% efficiency).

However, yesterday I racked to a secondary and the gravity was 1.009. Checked it a few times and it was a dead on 1.009. Today I see it is bubbling a little bit, so it's still working. I did my typical starter for a 6 gallon batch and used Wyeast 1056.

My mash temp was 152. It was 152 for 75 minutes of the 90 minute mash (once the temp hit 152 after grain was added to the water).

I know I'm not far off, but I'm concerned I might end up with 4 or 5 points under my F.G.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? I think you are within 1 point of your estimated FG (assuming you temperature corrected), you are probably seeing CO2 offgassing, and you should RDWHAHB.

CO2 offgassing?

Yeah, it's not at all uncommon for CO2 to come out of solution after fermentation is complete. The amount of CO2 in solution depends on the temp of the beer. If it warms up even one degree it will give off CO2 and give the appearance of continued fermentation.

Well, good news is that this isn't the worst thing that could happen to a beer. Any chance your thermometer is off and you actually mashed at a lower temp than you thought? We just ran into this problem with a digital. Either way FG is a tough number to pin down exactly since yeast can always be a bit unpredictable even under normal circumstances.

Well, good news is that this isn't the worst thing that could happen to a beer. Any chance your thermometer is off and you actually mashed at a lower temp than you thought? We just ran into this problem with a digital. Either way FG is a tough number to pin down exactly since yeast can always be a bit unpredictable even under normal circumstances.

I doubt it, but it is possible. I will re-calibrate them this weekend to be sure.

Back