Making a large yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFerret

Reaction score
I am planning to make a high-gravity IPA, and am currently about to make the yeast starter. Based on a Wyeast table on pg 68 of How to Brew, I figure I should make about 2-3 qts of 1.040 OG starter wort starting with 100 bil. cells from a Wyeast packet.

My question is this: if I only have a 2000 mL (a little over 2 qt) flask for the starter, how do I go about making such a large amount of starter wort? Should I try to do 2 qts of wort all at once and attach a blow-off tube? Or should I make 1 qt wort, decant off the bad beer 24 hrs later, then add another qt of starter wort to the yeast slurry? Or is there another approach not mentioned above?

I've never made a starter this large, so any advice would be appreciated!

If you use a stir plate or constant aeration you'll need less starter wort. From my understanding though, the proper way to step up a starter is to take out a large portion of the yeast after each step, this way they actually grow up the number of cells in each step.

However, for the lager starter I did the other week (for a 1.069 maibock) I just put a little under a gallon of starter wort into my carboy and pitched the yeast. When it came time to pitch the yeast for the brew I decanted the gigantic starter and put the (cooled to pitching temp) wort into that same carboy.

I recently stepped up a starter from 1 quart to 1 gallon, I did this 1 quart increments. I just added a quart of 1.040 wort to a 1 gallon carboy/jug 4 times. I added each time the first ferment was finished. I then cold crashed it and collected a ton of nice clean, and healthy yeast.

I recently stepped up a starter from 1 quart to 1 gallon, I did this 1 quart increments. I just added a quart of 1.040 wort to a 1 gallon carboy/jug 4 times. I added each time the first ferment was finished. I then cold crashed it and collected a ton of nice clean, and healthy yeast.

+1 Did that for my Arrogant Bastard clone recently, worked pretty well for me as I'm still building my stir plate.

Back