Recommend a good kit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conno

Reaction score
I'm in Ireland where there is no HB scene and getting good brewing kit is fairly difficult. I want to step up to a kit that will last me for years, something built for purpose not hobbled together from other things also the £/$ ratio is very favourable at the mo so shipping ain't too much of a problem.
Any suggestions??

I assume you are referring to an equipment kit rather than a recipe kit. That being said, I believe just about any kit is going to have the basics. I noticed some kits now have a cheap one use thermometer rather than a true submersible one. That might be an upgrade you want to consider. Other than that, you will want to replace just about everything you receive in a kit sooner or later I'd imagine. The cheap buckets get replaced with glass, better bottles, or conicals. The hydrometer gets a nice colander. Your capper gets replaced with kegs or a bench capper. You will want to get a nicer brew pot eventually I'd imagine. Then there is the chiller, most kits don't even have one, although the kit I started with (more than 10 years ago) had a nice immersion chiller with it. Of course you will eventually want to move to all grain which is a whole new load of loot to buy.

OK so what does this mean? I doubt you will get the end all product you want out of any kit. Accept the idea that you need to order each item, or will want to upgrade eventually. I'm sure some other folks will have more positive response.

Well there are a few good places in North West England.

Two options. Have them ship or make it an excuse to jump on a fery and pick something up.

A couple of questions....

what type of brewing do you want to do.
What is the budget.....

Option 3......pay me to fetch it over. I love Ireland.....:)

orfy said:
Well there are a few good places in North West England.

Two options. Have them ship or make it an excuse to jump on a fery and pick something up.

A couple of questions....

what type of brewing do you want to do.
What is the budget.....

Option 3......pay me to fetch it over. I love Ireland.....:)

You're the man, Orfey!:mug:

And if you choose option 3 Orfey will bring several gallons of hard cider (How did your mega session go?) And will teach you how to brew!!!

:D

Thanks guys, to clarify I want an all grain rig and the budget is about $2000, maybe a sculpture

Latest posts

Back