Huge score, now I'm gonna have to get serious about brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaffrig24

Reaction score
I just made the score of the year! All I need to do is build a cabinet front and 4 doors for a small basement bar and paint them up, about 4 hours work. For my troubles I will be the proud new owner of a commercial 5 keg kegerator. It's got a full 20lb co2 bottle, about 8 various keg couplers, a beer line cleaner, a stainless countertop, and 2 towers with 5 taps. And it gets better, he's got a friend with at least a dozen corny kegs sitting in a corner of his place taking up room who will probably be glad to get rid of them. I'll post some pictures when I get it. I'm gonna have to give it a good cleaning and set it up for the corny kegs, and find a place to set it up....Damn I may have to build a bar.

I'm gonna have to get serious about brewing now!

Keith

Way too much happiness for one person to handle. I will help you out and take some of that off your hands.

good for you.

and I have my 1970s gold refrigerator in my dingy basement! Life ain't fair I tell you! ;)

Congratulations on your score! You must post photos when you are finished with your bar.

I got some more info on the kegerator today. It's a True model TTD-3 with a 5 lb bottle of co2. It has 5 taps on 2 towers, a lighted interior, big casters and all types of keg couplers except of course corny kegs. Heres a picture from the manufacturer

digimarc.ms

You can also see the specs on it here http://www.barware.com/bar-applianc...D_3_CT_Black_3_Keg_Club_Top_Kegerator#details

I'll have to replace the beer lines and do a lot of scrubbing but I suppose I can probably fit about a dozen corny kegs in there, the tough part will be filling them up. I haven't done any kegging yet so I'm gonna have some questions in the near future.
I'll probably pick it up this weekend and get started cleaning it up. :mug:

Keith

I picked up the Kegerator yesterday and began cleaning it this morning. What a mess! I've ordered all new hoses for it, gas and beer. I tried cleaning one of the beerlines with BLC but it didn't seem to do anything. I've removed the towers which were wobbly and began to clean them. I've got to get a brush to clean the faucets and give them a good soaking along with the keg couplers. I've got the inside cleaned out fairly well. I still may do a little sanding inside to remove some rust and maybe paint it up. I've got to make some backer plates to go inside the unit to bolt the towers to in order to firm them up. I'm also going to put a piece of pvc pipe in the holes that the lines go through the top, the towers were not sealed or gasketed and beer was able to get into the insulation. I'll be sealing the towers to the top!
Heres a link to some before shots of the kegerator. As you can see it's gonna take some work to get it right, but I'll have it back together and flowing beer in no time.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/gaffrig24/kegerator/

Keith

It's looking a whole lot better now. I scrubbed the inside, removed everything, tossed the hoses, took the couplers and faucets apart and cleaned them up with beer line cleaner. I've ordered a faucet wrench to get the shanks off the towers so I can get to the beer line clamps. I cut a backer plate for the towers to mount to from a marine plastic product called starboard. It will go inside the cooler and the towers will be bolted through the top into the backer plate. I may also cut one to go directly under the towers. The top of the kegerator is very thin stainless with foam below it then a layer of galvanized steel which is also thin. After beer was allowed to enter the layers they separated and now its kind of a weak area. I think sandwiching the top between the 2 layers of 3/4" starboard will give it all the strength it will need. Oh by the way, it cools just fine.

Keith

I've got the kegerator all cleaned up and put back together. I replaced all the hoses and took everything apart to clean it. I had to BUY a keg to get it started. It's a torpedo of Sweetwater 420. I have 2 batches brewing now and 1 will be ready to keg next week. I've got to get my hands on some cornies real quick. I gotta say, it's great to pour yourself a draft while watching the game, it'll be even better when it's my beer that's flowing.

DSCN2866.jpg

DSCN2862.jpg

DSCN2864.jpg

DSCN2860.jpg

Keith

Latest posts

Back