Rum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like Sailor Jerry and Kraken. Sailor Jerry is the sweeter, and Kraken is the spicier.

And I'll admit, if I want something coconut, I'll nip on my wife's Malibu.

I can't stand Sailor Jerry, but then I'm not much of a rum drinker. Kraken isn't too bad though.

About a year ago I discovered Old Monk rum. It's a blended 7-year dark rum. I was skeptical at first because it's fairly cheap and it's from India, but now it's my go-to rum for sipping or cocktails that require dark rum.

My favorite rum is St. Lucia Distillers Chairmans Reserve. My buddy went on a honey moon there and brought back a bottle and i've been hooked ever since! There is only one place in the USA that sells it that i have found but they ship it and its a reasonable price. Way better than the price tag indicates!!
http://www.drinkupny.com/Chairmans_Reserve_Spiced_Rum_p/s0374.htm

I like Sailor Jerry's. been meaning to try Kraken, and now I have a reason. my BIL gave me a bottle of Bundeburg OP. he said back in OZ they called it Queensland Diesel. there is a reason why.

Demerara El Dorado 21 Year Old Special ..

Picked up a few bottles about six years ago in the Caribbean. Still have a little left in one of them. Very unique.

bosco

I like the krakken , nice caramel base. To me the vanilla in sailor Jerry's is too overpowering.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Captain Morgan is really the only rum I've had much of. I'm more of a Scotch or Bourbon drinker.

Not too big on spiced rum. However, Cruzan black strap is solid especially for the price. I like aged rums overall my favorite being Mt Gay Extra Old.

I prefer bourbon, but my husband is a huge rum fan. In the bar right now he has: JM Rhum Vieux, plantation 20, 8, and 5, Ron matuselem (dark, not light), pyrat, zacapa 23, eldorado of various ages, and several others that I can't recall. Rum had taken over fully 1.5 shelves.

For me, of the ones I have tasted, the JM Rhum Vieux is my favorite to sip like a nice bourbon.

For an affordable easy drinking (almost) every day drinker I really like the Plantation Barbados 5.. The vanilla is amazing!

Yes its empty!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20140522_233002_518.jpg

Captain morgans private stock and dr.pepper. Stuffs so good I had to quit drinking it.

Not too big on spiced rum. However, Cruzan black strap is solid especially for the price. I like aged rums overall my favorite being Mt Gay Extra Old.

Cruzan black strap is my go to rum for any dark rum based drink. It is also the rum I soak oak in to do rum oaked stouts and it comes out great. You really cannot beat it as a dark rum for the price. It goes really well with the kosher coke that comes out yearly that is made with actual sugar. Best rum and coke ever... of course add a squeeze of lime. yum

Nothing eats Flor de Cana from Nicaragua. They have a about five rums ranging from 1 year old white to 12 year old dark. All of then are smooth and very affordable. For something at the higher end cost wise, Ron Zacapa makes a 40? Year old that's super smooth. I have it at a Cuban restaurant once and was blown away.

Johnny B

REAL 7 year Old Havana Club from Cuba, preferably bought somewhere in the Caribbean like in Mexico where they don't gouge you on the price like the do in Europe. Circa 2000, you could get the stuff at the ships store at Marina Hemingway in Havana for like $6-7 a bottle and that was jacked up for what you could have gotten it for in town a couple of years earlier. think $4. By the time that the importer and they tax man got done with you, the stuff was selling for almost $25-30 a bottle in Paris or London at that same time. Of course,, that was back when you cold get any cigar you wanted other than Cohiba at the ships store, including stuff like Hoyo double Coronas for no more than $130-35 per box. I bought a box of 25 Punch Punch, my favorite medium sized Cuban, for like $95,:ban:

El Dorado Demerara dark rum is by far my favorite rum. It's from Guyana and aged in oak casks. Very smooth and very flavorful. I'd recommend it to anyone who has only had Bacardi or Captain Morgan.

Lots of Cuban rum from past vacations. Havana Club 7 yr, Santiago de Cuba 12 yr, Bermudez Anniversario, Ron Varadero 7 yr, and a few others that I can't recall at the moment have all been great value additions to our collection.

My top 2...
Ron zacapa is excellent.
Pampero aniversario is another great rum but of a different breed, very oaky, and overpowering. a sipper.

Back