Apple Juice vs. Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontDrinkAndDrum

Reaction score
I'm looking into making edwort's Apfelwein recipe with the Wyeast, and my question is if I can substitute apple cider for juice.

I know the difference between cider and juice is that juice is filtered and cider is basically juice with all the apple solids left in. What I'm basically after is to harness some of the "spicyness" that cider has that juice doesn't, and cider is pretty to easy to come by in my part of the world.

any thoughts?

Go for it. "Juice" and "cider" are actually the same thing here in the US, "Hard cider" is made from apple juice (cider) with yeast. In England, "juice" is unfermented while "cider" is the fermented version

fatboy570 said:
"Juice" and "cider" are actually the same thing here in the US,

Not really.

Juice is usually filtered and pretty clear.

Cider is unfiltered, cloudy, and has a lot of sediment in it.

My fist batch of Apfelwien was wyeast, cider (Not juice), and cane sugar.

It took longer to be drinkable than the 4 weeks, and never has cleared.

It is really tasty, though.

When I make hard cider, I use fresh cider from a local orchard and White Labs English Cider Yeast. On a few occasions I have also added some honey, but that's about it. It does seem to take a while to clear, but usually drinkable within a month or two. The longer you wait the better is gets. Expect it to be on the dry side.
Cheers, :tank:

fatboy570 said:
Go for it. "Juice" and "cider" are actually the same thing here in the US, "Hard cider" is made from apple juice (cider) with yeast. In England, "juice" is unfermented while "cider" is the fermented version

in case you didn't notice, I am from the US

Back