Fresh/wet hopped beer ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
I will soon have access to fresh hops in the varieties of Cascade, Mt. Hood, BC Golding, and Fuggles.

I have never made a fresh hop beer before, and I am looking for a style/recipe that accentuates the fresh hops without requiring like 5 lbs of the things. no IIPAs I guess, :.(

Should I use a single hop variety pale ale?

what about dry hopping?

I do partial mash beers.

Thanks guys!

IMO, you will still want to use pellets for bittering, then use the wet hops for flameout/aroma. You certainly could try dry hopping with them as well.

I'm working on a recipe as well. I'll be lucky if I get the equivalent of 1 oz of each, Cascade and Centennial from my harvest. Trying something similar to the Sierra Nevada PA clone in Best of BYO. Will post the recipe here if interested (and when I'm finished with it).

IMO, you will still want to use pellets for bittering, then use the wet hops for flameout/aroma. You certainly could try dry hopping with them as well.

Funnycreature and I determined that that was a good idea in another thread. I'm thinking magnum pellets... it seems to have the least amount of taste to me. That sound bout right?

I'm working on a recipe as well. I'll be lucky if I get the equivalent of 1 oz of each, Cascade and Centennial from my harvest. Trying something similar to the Sierra Nevada PA clone in Best of BYO. Will post the recipe here if interested (and when I'm finished with it).

Please do, my friend. I love Sierra Nevada PA. From memory, it seems to have a more complex hop profile (if heavy on cascade) than I would want for my beer.

What about using a single variety for flavoring and aroma?

Funnycreature and I determined that that was a good idea in another thread. I'm thinking magnum pellets... it seems to have the least amount of taste to me. That sound bout right?

Please do, my friend. I love Sierra Nevada PA. From memory, it seems to have a more complex hop profile (if heavy on cascade) than I would want for my beer.

What about using a single variety for flavoring and aroma?

OK, here's my plan:
  1. I am drying ~3 oz of Magnum right now which will end up maybe just over 0.5 oz. I'll throw that in as FWH. As additional bittering hops I was thinking 0.5 oz of chinook pellets at 30 min. These will add up to about 37 IBU in a 90 min boil.
  2. If I get the 1 oz of each Centennial and Cascade I'll add them at 5 and 0 min, respectively.
  3. I'll dry hop with 0.75 oz of (purchased) Cascade leaf hops

I'd try a single hops beer but I don't think I'll have enough! Here's a recipe for Hoptime harvest by Russian River: http://www.musiccitybrewers.com/docs/hoptime.pdf

OK, here's my plan:
  1. I am drying ~3 oz of Magnum right now which will end up maybe just over 0.5 oz. I'll throw that in as FWH. As additional bittering hops I was thinking 0.5 oz of chinook pellets at 30 min. These will add up to about 37 IBU in a 90 min boil.
  2. If I get the 1 oz of each Centennial and Cascade I'll add them at 5 and 0 min, respectively.
  3. I'll dry hop with 0.75 oz of (purchased) Cascade leaf hops

I'd try a single hops beer but I don't think I'll have enough! Here's a recipe for Hoptime harvest by Russian River: http://www.musiccitybrewers.com/docs/hoptime.pdf

Are you planning on the Centennial and Cascade late additions to be 1 oz Fresh? Will that be enough since it is only the equivalent of 0.2 oz dried?

That Russian River recipe looks cool... though I don't think I would bitter the beer with Fresh hops. I guess if you have the set up for it, whatever

Lupulin effects

Lupulin has the same sedative effects as hop, but due to the sifting it is stronger.
Gives an mild high with relaxing qualities. Works well as a relaxation for the nerves and provides a better sleep.

The powder is used in a medical manner for delirium tremens, wakefulness, anxiety and exhaustion. It allays irritation and promotes sleep.

It is a sedative belonging to the same category as valerian, skullcap and passion flower.
Preparing Lupulin

To prepare some tea: mix 150 ml of cooked water with 1 teaspoon of Lupulin. Because the taste is bitter you can add some honey. Use about 0,5 grams for 1 cup of tea. 1 teaspoon is about 0,4 grams.

From: http://azarius.net/smartshop/relaxing/herbs/lupulin/

I found this googling around. Lapulin is, apparently, one of the tastes you get from fresh hops you don't from dried.

Pretty funny, huh?

Are you planning on the Centennial and Cascade late additions to be 1 oz Fresh? Will that be enough since it is only the equivalent of 0.2 oz dried?

That Russian River recipe looks cool... though I don't think I would bitter the beer with Fresh hops. I guess if you have the set up for it, whatever

No this is assumed 1oz equivalent of dried hops :) I'm sure that the big boys can determine the acids content very quickly. So they won't just blindly use a fixed around of hops.

So here's the recipe in its current state:

Recipe: "Hops to Blame?" - The American Way Pale Ale
Brewer: Sven
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.31 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.75 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.35 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.4 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 26.2 %
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.7 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L/20L (66/34) ( Grain 5 1.9 %
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 6 20.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Magnum [11.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 11.7 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 oz Cascade [7.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 mi Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (frozen stock) (White Lab Yeast 11 -
0.75 oz Cascade [7.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.77 l of water at 165.3 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.86 l of water at 198.1 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.40gal) of 168.0 F water

I got 0.9 oz of Magnum hops that felt very dry so that' only about 1/3rd of the picked hops. Seems very little water but the hops felt pretty dry to me. Not sure what the yield for Centennial and Cascade will be but I'll sure use it up late in the game! :ban:

That looks very cool. Why the Magnum at 30 minutes? I've always used it early in the boil or for FWH.

If this is still The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale base, I've heard they put in some lemon peel... don't know if this is true.

Here's my plan:

Mini-Mash:

3.25 # US 2-Row
.75 # Crystal 40
1# Carapils

Single Infusion: 152F for 60 m.
Sparge at 170.

5 # Pale LME (Flame-out)
1 # Dextrose (Flame-out)

Est. OG: 1.065, TG: 1.018 (est. 6.1% abv)

Hop Schedule:

(FWH) .5 oz Magnum (18) hop pellets
(90) .25 oz Magnum (18) hop pellets
(30) 5 oz Cascade (7ish?) Fresh Wet hops
(15) 5 oz Cascade (7) Fresh Wet hops
(0) 5 oz Cascade (7) Fresh Wet Hops
(Dry-hop, 7 days) 5 oz Cascade (7) Fresh Wet Hops

Est. IBU: 57.8

1 tsp Irish Moss

2 packets SafeAle 04

What do you think?

That looks very cool. Why the Magnum at 30 minutes? I've always used it early in the boil or for FWH.

I don't know anything about the alpha acid content in the Magnum so I was thinking to put it in as middle addition. I actually keep switching the Chinook and Magnum additions :drunk: Maybe I should add Magnum as FWH and Chinook at 60?

If this is still The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale base, I've heard they put in some lemon peel... don't know if this is true.

Even if they did, I don't think I want real fruit flavor overpowering my wet hops flavor.

Here's my plan:

Mini-Mash:

3.25 # US 2-Row
.75 # Crystal 40
1# Carapils

Single Infusion: 152F for 60 m.
Sparge at 170.

5 # Pale LME (Flame-out)
1 # Dextrose (Flame-out)

Est. OG: 1.065, TG: 1.018 (est. 6.1% abv)

Hop Schedule:

(FWH) .5 oz Magnum (18) hop pellets
(90) .25 oz Magnum (18) hop pellets
(30) 5 oz Cascade (7ish?) Fresh Wet hops
(15) 5 oz Cascade (7) Fresh Wet hops
(0) 5 oz Cascade (7) Fresh Wet Hops
(Dry-hop, 7 days) 5 oz Cascade (7) Fresh Wet Hops

Est. IBU: 57.8

1 tsp Irish Moss

2 packets SafeAle 04

What do you think?

Looks like you have more wet hops than I do; I'd love to be able to add as much! The Magnum should give a nice bitterness to balance all the dextrins you add (2+ lbs). When I looked at other APA recipes I was actually surprised at the amount of crystal malts and dextrins they add so I backed off a bit. Do you think my just one pound is sufficient? All I can say is "Do it!" and report back! I'm surprised but glad that I don't see a dozen conflicting comments here :mug:

I normally do pales or IPAs with my wet hops. This year, I'm changing it up at bit and doing a hoppy Amber Ale:

10lbs 2-Row
1.5lbs Munich
12 oz English Crystal
8 oz Crystal 120L
3 oz Chocolate

.8 oz Apollo @ 60
5 oz Cascade (Wet) @ 10
5 oz Cascade (Wet) @ 0 (20 min whirlpool)
5 oz Glacier (Wet) @ 0 (20 min whirlpool)
Dry Hop - 5 oz Cascade (Wet) & 5 oz Glacier (Wet)

I also have some young (1-2) Summit, Newport, and Centennial (My Chinook didn't make it this year) that aren't quite ready yet. If the Centennial is ready come dry-hop time, I will throw in some of it as well.

I also have some young (1-2) Summit, Newport, and Centennial (My Chinook didn't make it this year) that aren't quite ready yet. If the Centennial is ready come dry-hop time, I will throw in some of it as well.

My problem right now is that my Cascade needs picking and is probably a few days past-due but my Centennial needs a few more... I'll harvest them on Saturday and brew "fresh off the bine"... Since it's my first attempt I'll only be able to say it turned out good or not but I have no comparison :mug:

Brewed on Saturday. I didn't get quite enough wet hops so I had to supplement with pellet and some leaf hops - go figure! I decided to mix all the hops together in a Homer bucket and drop a handful in every now and then. I started adding it to the strainer bag but eventually just poured it in. Clogged my brand new Chugger pump but I got it down to temp either way (note to self: start recording actual time from flame-out to pitching). I actually didn't use the Cal Ale as in the recipe but took some of the yeast cake from my Pumpkin ale, put it in a 800 mL starter and pitched that.

Here's what I did, all problems included:
Recipe: "Hops to Blame?" - The American Way Pale Ale
Brewer: Sven
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.13 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.75 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.35 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.9 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
8 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 64.5 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 25.8 %
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L/20L (66/34) ( Grain 5 1.8 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %
3.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.5 %
0.50 oz Magnum [11.00 %] - First Wort 70.0 min Hop 8 17.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 17.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 5.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 2.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Aroma Steep 12.0 m Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (frozen stock) (White Lab Yeast 15 -
0.75 oz Cascade [7.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 9.2 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 17.01 l of water at 168.5 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.99 l of water at 199.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.14gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Hit only 150.4 with strike water. Added more but still didn't get up to 154. Took ~6 qt for a decoction and temp probably was OK. Total mash time was around 75-90 min.
Drained the mash tun almost completely before adding mash out water.
Had to add some cold water after adding sparge water to get to 7.2 gal pre-boil volume. There was probably another gal coming out to drain tun completely.

Had only 2.8 oz of wet Centennial and 4.3 oz of wet Cascade. Added 1 oz of pellet Centennial and 0.5 oz of leaf Cascade. Mixed everything together and started adding at around 12 min.

Hops clogged pump so stirred with spoon for whirlpool. Worked OK and lots of trub stayed in the kettle.

Pitched starter yeast at ~67F.

Nice! Are the cascade hops you are dry hopping with fresh? If so, how are you going to keep them until primary is finished? Refrigerator?

Nice! Are the cascade hops you are dry hopping with fresh? If so, how are you going to keep them until primary is finished? Refrigerator?

No, I didn't even have enough hops for the boil :( However, I was thinking about picking whatever hops is ready (as in: randomly left on the bines) for the dry hop and throw it in on top of probably 0.5 oz of dried whole leaf Cascade... This is experimental and will never be reproduced so I might as well go crazy!

Checked my gravity last night with my new refractometer and it's down to 9 Brix (from 14.5). That translates to an SG (don't want to call it FG quite yet ;) ) of ~1.020 according to this site. It tastes sweet with not much bitterness or hop aroma :( I'll definitely have to dry hop that beer but I also hope it will dry out some more. If not I might add some sugar to restart fermentation a bit. Never had a beer finish that high!

This is the first year in 3 years of growing that my Hops plant has produced cones. I'm going to try a fresh hops beer but since it's the first time I'm going to be trying it, I'm adapting a kit.

I've got the Brewer's Best American Pale Ale kit, and I'll be replacing the 1oz aroma hops at the end with hopefully 5oz of my fresh hops. By their floral and citrus scent, they seem to be Cascades. Unfortunately the tag on them from the shop they were bought from only said "Hops". So I'll try this out and see how it goes.

It's been a really late year, and I'm in Southern Ontario. By the look and feel they're not quite ready yet but are getting there. Some of the cones are starting to feel less green, and there's definitely lupulin in there. Soon they should be ready.

Wish me luck!

This is the first year in 3 years of growing that my Hops plant has produced cones. I'm going to try a fresh hops beer but since it's the first time I'm going to be trying it, I'm adapting a kit.

I've got the Brewer's Best American Pale Ale kit, and I'll be replacing the 1oz aroma hops at the end with hopefully 5oz of my fresh hops. By their floral and citrus scent, they seem to be Cascades. Unfortunately the tag on them from the shop they were bought from only said "Hops". So I'll try this out and see how it goes.

It's been a really late year, and I'm in Southern Ontario. By the look and feel they're not quite ready yet but are getting there. Some of the cones are starting to feel less green, and there's definitely lupulin in there. Soon they should be ready.

Wish me luck!

Good luck buddy! Just load up on hops and have some pellets ready to supplement. That's what I had to do. I also dry hopped with pellets. I like the label on hour rhizomes!!! That's very retro :D :ban:

Good luck buddy! Just load up on hops and have some pellets ready to supplement. That's what I had to do. I also dry hopped with pellets. I like the label on hour rhizomes!!! That's very retro :D :ban:

I've still got the pellet hops that would have normally gone into this kit for aroma, I figure if I don't get enough fresh I'll just make up the difference with the existing ones from the kit.

I figured I'd update this sice I brewed the beer.

I followed the above recipe, except I ended up with 56 oz of cascade! :ban:

I divided it by 6 (9.3) and added each division at 20, 15,10, 5, 0, and I'm going to dry hop in a week.

It's gonna be a fresh hoppy mofo!

I figured I'd update this sice I brewed the beer.

I followed the above recipe, except I ended up with 56 oz of cascade! :ban:

I divided it by 6 (9.3) and added each division at 20, 15,10, 5, 0, and I'm going to dry hop in a week.

It's gonna be a fresh hoppy mofo!

NICE! I have to admit that I'm pretty envious since I not even got 1/10th of that :D

Don't feel too bad. My hop vines were destroyed when we went on vacation. I bought these from the local farm at $0.50 an oz.

I'm keeping the last batch of hops in the fridge bc somebody said that freezing them would make them sweat or do some other unfavorable thing to them.

They look like they are wilting in there though... Any suggestions?

Going to cold-crash my APA today when I get home! Can't wait to taste it after a second dry hop with 0.5 oz of Falconer's Flight :) This weekend might be bottling time!!

I ended up getting 7.3 oz out of my plant. My initial thought that they were Cascade seems to be off. When the cones matured more, at harvesting time (Last Friday) they had a strong Pine and Citrus smell so maybe Chinook? I dunno.

At any rate, I did my brew last Friday - bittered with 2 oz of pellet Cascade and put all 7.3 oz of fresh hops in with 15 minutes left in the boil. It's been happily fermenting from then until Wednesday. Fermentation temperature was a little high and there was a bit of Strawberry aroma in the first couple of days but that settled out and it smells like beer now :)

I gave a quick post-ferment taste this morning and it smells and tastes good to me. There's good bittering, and from the Fresh hops there isn't much of a pine taste to it, but that citrus/grapefruit aroma and taste really came through. I'm going to let it sit for another week and then bottle.

Going to cold-crash my APA today when I get home! Can't wait to taste it after a second dry hop with 0.5 oz of Falconer's Flight :) This weekend might be bottling time!!

That's awesome, dude, give some tasting notes if you can!

I gave a quick post-ferment taste this morning and it smells and tastes good to me. There's good bittering, and from the Fresh hops there isn't much of a pine taste to it, but that citrus/grapefruit aroma and taste really came through. I'm going to let it sit for another week and then bottle.

that's interesting you should describe it as more grapefruity.

I racked mine over to dry hop it on Monday, and tasted it then. Mine was with 2 oz of pellet magnums at 60m and 9.35 oz of fresh cascade at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0. So I am definitely getting the taste and smell of fresh hops.

There is a discernible difference in taste, but I'm not sure how to describe it. more earthy? it has a grapefruity tinge to it, but so does the dry cascade. maybe its different though?

I don't have a refined pallet, though. maybe if I knew what I was tasting for, I could find it. Any BCMJ judges out there? what differences should I notice with my fresh hopped beer?

That's awesome, dude, give some tasting notes if you can!

Will do! But expect something along the lines "good, lots of hops aroma, sweet" and not anything more refined ;)

My sample yesterday tasted really good btw - lots of malty sweetness and subtle hops flavor/aroma. I'm sure that cold and carbonated it will be a solid APA ... It's me against my arch nemesis: TIME! :ban:

So I'll be brewing my fresh hop beer tomorrow and just have a couple questions. First here's my recipe and I'd appreciate any thoughts on it. I am roughly following the Russian River fresh hop recipe that I found a recipe for and decided to do the entire beer with fresh whole hops as that recipe does. I do realize that this recipe is a 10 gal & I am using roughly the quantity of hops. Here's the link to the recipe:

http://www.musiccitybrewers.com/docs/hoptime.pdf

13# total grains for 5 gallon batch. I have 10 gallon insulated cooler mash tun, 5 gallon hot liquor tank, & 15.5 gallon brew pot. I'd like to have 5 gallons total bottling volume so I am assuming I'll need to have somewhere in the area of 7-7.5 gallons pre-boil volume.

5.72# 2-row
5.72# Maris Otter
.65# C-40
.65# Carapils
.26# Vienna

Hops - all freshly picked (bagged & frozen for a few days) Centennial

16oz x 60-90 minutes - haven't decided how long I'll boil
12oz x 30min
5oz x 15min
5oz x 10min
5oz x 5min
5oz x 0min

I may dry hop with a few oz of some of the Cents that I dried as well.

I know most say to use a general bittering hop but I decided I wanted the entire beer to be made all fresh whole hops.

I'll probably mash will 5 gal and batch sparge with 5 gal as well as I have recently had problems with low final volume and I will stop the runoff when I get to the 7-7.5 gal mark in my brew kettle.

Also, does anyone know how to get Beer Smith 2 to recognize fresh hop use as opposed to processed dried leafs? My IBUs for this beer in the program comes out to around 950 which I know is not right.

Thoughts??????????

Also, does anyone know how to get Beer Smith 2 to recognize fresh hop use as opposed to processed dried leafs? My IBUs for this beer in the program comes out to around 950 which I know is not right.

Thoughts??????????

I can help you with this part - simply divide the weight of hops by a factor of 5-8 (whatever you choose) and enter that. That's how I did it. I also adjusted the %AA in my wet hop to the middle of the range. Hope that helps and happy brewing!

I can help you with this part - simply divide the weight of hops by a factor of 5-8 (whatever you choose) and enter that. That's how I did it. I also adjusted the %AA in my wet hop to the middle of the range. Hope that helps and happy brewing!

Sweet, thanks! Done! I divided all of my hop weights by 6 as I have heard 5-6 is the range most people seem to use. I may play around with 7-8 and see what the numbers come out as. With using 6 my IBUs are still listed at 160 so I know I'll need to play around with those a bit. I even knew to do that just wasn't smart enough to problem solve that on my own I guess :cross:

I just talked to the guys at my LHBS and they mentioned that the fresh hops they have in stock have more of a 2:1 ratio. It all depends on just how fresh the hops are, the fresher the hop, the more water weight it will contain.

I just talked to the guys at my LHBS and they mentioned that the fresh hops they have in stock have more of a 2:1 ratio. It all depends on just how fresh the hops are, the fresher the hop, the more water weight it will contain.

Maybe your LHBS dried the hops? All that I've read, here and elsewhere, says that one should use fresh hops very soon after picking... like days if not hours.

Hops - all freshly picked (bagged & frozen for a few days) Centennial

16oz x 60-90 minutes - haven't decided how long I'll boil
12oz x 30min
5oz x 15min
5oz x 10min
5oz x 5min
5oz x 0min

I may dry hop with a few oz of some of the Cents that I dried as well.

I know most say to use a general bittering hop but I decided I wanted the entire beer to be made all fresh whole hops

thats a lot of hops!:ban:

2 things come to mind:

1) you can play with the ratio numbers all you like, that is going to be a high IBU beer. 10 or so lbs of malt would not be enough malt background for me. I would push it up into the IIPA range, like 1.075, 1.080 or even higher. Just my Cents on the matter (pun intended).

2) less important and more to preference. I have started cutting the 30 minute hop additions. I don't feel like I get any flavor or aroma from those additions and they are not really contributing too much to the bitterness. A lot of people do them though, so I guess its personal preference.

Those are my thoughts, I hope they help you out some.

I believe he put in value of each hop for them as wet, so 16 oz would be just under 1 oz...depending on how fresh.

My hops dry very quickly here in our current weather. I was doing 4/5:1 approx with hops 1-3 hours off the bine. Worked well for me.

Word of caution - I used gelatin to cold crash my APA for a couple of days after a second dry hopping. It was really clear but all the hops flavor and aroma seems to have disappeared. The yeast cake smelled wonderfully. I am really sad and hope it will still taste good.

This morning I headed outside to see a bunch of extra hops on the bine left over after the harvest. Either I missed a bunch or there's been new growth. What I picked looked and felt mature, though.

At any rate, I've got another 1.6 oz Fresh that have just gone in as a dry hopping addition.

Word of caution - I used gelatin to cold crash my APA for a couple of days after a second dry hopping. It was really clear but all the hops flavor and aroma seems to have disappeared. The yeast cake smelled wonderfully. I am really sad and hope it will still taste good.

Oh dear. I hope so too. I think it always smells different out of the bottle than out if the carboy anyway.

Very timely warning however. I'm getting ready to rack off of my hops today and was considering adding gelatin. Not now.

Oh dear. I hope so too. I think it always smells different out of the bottle than out if the carboy anyway.

Very timely warning however. I'm getting ready to rack off of my hops today and was considering adding gelatin. Not now.

I've used gelatin before for my Kölsch but since it doesn't have lots of flavors to begin with I didn't notice any difference. Glad someone can learn from my mistakes :ban:

I'll be brewing another iteration of my "Pure Hopsocaust" double IPA this weekend with lots of pellet hops to have something hoppy again :mug:

So I brewed on Sat. and was very concerned about my final volume so I was pretty stuck on having 7.5 gal starting volume in the kettle, which I got. I was concerned that all the freshies would soak up more juice than they actually did. Anyway, I only did a 60 min boil and did use all 3 pounds of fresh Cents (that's actually what I named the beer too). I have just a bit under 6 gal in the fermenter, OG was about 1.054 if I remember right and it smells amazing! I don't necessarily have plans to dry hop, though I can, but I will cold crash it once I feel that fermentation is nearly over. I may also experiment with yeast washing after I transfer as well.

Maybe your LHBS dried the hops? All that I've read, here and elsewhere, says that one should use fresh hops very soon after picking... like days if not hours.

Ya that's what I was thinking too, but being all the way down in Texas most likely hurts my chances of getting REAL wet hops. Still hoping to stumble across a fellow homebrewer in the area on here who grows their own that I could buy/trade.

Just brewed up a pretty simple pale ale with MO, a bit of crystal 40 and honey malt, and around 2lbs of fresh Nugget as the only hop (the whole harvest from my 2nd year Nugget plant), including a nice long hop stand at around 140. Smelled great -- excited to see how it comes out! I dried the last 5 or 6 oz of Nugget to dry hop with.

Back