In search of (ancient) Firestone keg parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CplHunter

Reaction score
I just purchased a few ancient firestone kegs locally (racetrack lids, plastic gas dip tubes, etc.)...I'll chalk that up to inexperience.

Now...I need a source for lid gaskets, as the ones I were given are the incorrect type. :( Racetrack lids use flat, preformed gaskets, not o-rings. I would also like to replace the plastic gas dip tubes, but due to the design of the posts I think they're unnecessary parts and will remove them if need be. I have found a source for the plastic inserts in the gas/liquid posts, and poppet valves are still readily available.

So, in short...anyone know where to get these lid gaskets? :confused:

It seals, but the top fits on VERY tightly. I know that sounds like a good thing, but the handle on the lid is of a different design than modern kegs, and the ends of the handle creep towards coming out of their sockets. It's hard to explain...

I should note that I haven't pressurized any to make sure that a new o-ring will hold a seal. I suspect it will, but it's still not right...

You may have already tried them, but Williams Brewing has a number of Firestone keg parts, and they might have what you're looking for.

Matt

Bringing this back to life...I picked up a keg that had a plastic gas tube and thought I could just replace with a SS one. Well, that wasn't the case. What was the source for the plastic tubes?

I haven't found a source for plastic gas tubes. I thought of just removing mine, but didn't since they don't seem to have any "flavor" in them. They seem to serve no purpose other than keeping the last dribbles in the keg out of the valve should the empty keg become inverted in a drunken rage.

The nylon inserts linked above won't fit in my kegs (at least with the poppets that I *think* are supposed to be installed). I bought the "correct" poppets and had all kinds of problems. I think perhaps the wrong posts are installed on the kegs.

I acquired one of these kegs. I found a place to buy the o ring and nylon washers or plastic inserts as some described them. I think my poppets are fine so i wont mess with hem for now.

How old are these kegs?

Back