York, Harrisburg, Lancaster Bulk grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
It's been a while since I did one but ready to brew again and I need some grain. Looking to put this together fairly quick. Targeting delivery of the grain the 1st week of May. The usual offerings of Breiss, Great Western, Best, Bairds, Thomas Fawcett. You can also get 50lb bulk Breiss DME. Message me and let me know what you need. Prices are the same as the 2012 Catalog and shipping cost will be $4.25 a bag based on a full pallet.

Central Pa brewers lets put this order together quick so we can all have a fresh supply of malt!

Warrior

Picked up two 55 gal drums with removable lids. These lids have an o-ring that makes for an air tight seal. They are food grade and you can get them just above Harrisburg, Pa. Bought them at Rt 104 Barrels in Liverpool Pa just off of Rt 11 & 15. The place is called Route 104 Barrels, ph 888-872-6099. They are $25 each, I have kept grain in barrels like these before for years! Great way to store your grain and keep it fresh!

I did. I will just place an order on my own when I know this grain deal is gonna happen. I know for sure that I want (1) FB-PILS and (2) GW-2ROW. I would also like to try some of the Fawcett crystal malt. Either Crystal I or II, but I dont need 55lbs. Any interest in sharing a bag would be appreciated.

Order now is over 1/2 full. 29 sacks of grain ordered with 13 more left to fill the pallet. The 29 includes specialty grains which are as follows

Best Dark Munich
Best Light Crystal
Best Med II Crystal
Hugh Baird Dark Crystal
Franco Belges Coffee
Canada Malt Rye

Also includes a 50lb bag of Breiss Ex light DME. Great for making starters with. This is $2/lb

Warrior

Get your orders and checks in people. The faster that's done, the faster we can get the grains.

Anyone in the Mech area?

I am interested in 2 bags of Breiss 2-row, but I have an interesting predicament.

My wife is pregnant with twins and they can come at any time now. That said, if the babies come early there is no way I will have an extra hour to run down to York and pick up the grains.

If I can meet someone closer to Mech, it would be great. Is anyone even half-way between Mech and York?

stompbox said:
Anyone in the Mech area?

I am interested in 2 bags of Breiss 2-row, but I have an interesting predicament.

My wife is pregnant with twins and they can come at any time now. That said, if the babies come early there is no way I will have an extra hour to run down to York and pick up the grains.

If I can meet someone closer to Mech, it would be great. Is anyone even half-way between Mech and York?

Do you mean mechanicsburg? I'm in Lancaster

I'll keep the grain at my place for you. You can pick it up anytime later next month.

Warrior said:
Order now is over 1/2 full. 29 sacks of grain ordered with 13 more left to fill the pallet. The 29 includes specialty grains which are as follows

Best Dark Munich
Best Light Crystal
Best Med II Crystal
Hugh Baird Dark Crystal
Franco Belges Coffee
Canada Malt Rye

Also includes a 50lb bag of Breiss Ex light DME. Great for making starters with. This is $2/lb

Warrior

Hey Warrior,
If there will be some extra specialty grains, I'll get some of those too. I've never used the best malz crystal. Is that like caramunich?

Should be plenty to go around. It's been a while since I've used their Caramel malts but here is thier descriptions.

Caramel Light 8-16 L will increase body, improve malt aroma, will add a deep saturated color and will add a full mellow malt flaovr to your beer.

Caramel Malt II 60 -70 L

Bairds Extra Dark Malt 135 -165 L Bairds Crystal Malts are roasted at higher temps and longer periods of time than thier Carastan Malts. The result is a malt with intense degrees of caramel and toffee like flavors.

Tim,

Got your check today. If I get the other 8 bags ordered and checks sent, I'll have the grain shipped next week.

Warrior said:
Tim,

Got your check today. If I get the other 8 bags ordered and checks sent, I'll have the grain shipped next week.

Sweet! If it takes longer, no big deal. I already have all the grains for my next 2 beers. I'm looking forward to trying the best malz. The only German grains I currently use are from weyerman.

Order is now full! I'll be placing this order tomorrow and it should be available by the end of the week.

Grain arrived today by truck. I'll be picking the pallet up tomorrow. PM me when you can stop by and get your order. Anytime after Sun afternoon works for me.

Warrior

Kind of like me, pallet leans to the right:)

0505121701-3.jpg

Hey warrior,
When and where would you like people to pick up their grains?

Warrior said:
My place, any evenings this week.

I'll head over after work tomorrow. I would probably be there by 8:30. Let me know if that doesn't work for you. Thanks

I'm definitely upping my order next time. I'm already almost halfway through the 2 sacks. The best malz pils is amazing though. My new favorite pils malt!

I couldn't find a pricing sheet. How much was a sack of 2row?

Also, for people in this area, Breskis distributor on Eisenhauser started carrying home brew supplies. They are selling sacks of base malts for $42 or 1.09 a pound.

How much should I figure for shipping and other non-grain expenses per order? For example - 3 bags of 2-row Briess runs $0.64/lb or $32/sack, which comes to $96. But what would my total cost be including shipping...etc?

Thank you.

Back