WLP 007 High fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rguardian989

Reaction score
I made a batch of arrogant bastard ale clone last week and during the better part of the karusening stage the temperature was aroudn 76 deg F.
I used WLP007 dry english ale yeast

I didnt realize because i cover my fermenter in a towel to keep the light out. after about 2 days i looked and saw how high the temp was so i put wet, refrigerated towels on it till the temp dopped to around 68 a day or so later

should i be worried about waht flavors this might have caused?

ill post up with the results in a few weeks when its done, or maybe even with the early tastes from my hydrometer readings altho i have no idea about how this yeast behaves as far as late fermentation cleanup is concerned so that might not prove helpful

I'm currently fermenting a Stout with WLP007 and it started out high too (at 74). Unfortunately, I can't give you any info about the flavors, but I just wanted to commiserate. I too cooled it down, and now it's at 65. Perhaps it's just a hot starting yeast..

That is the exact same strain as Wyeast 1098. I use it about every other week. It will get hot in a high gravity beer.
I normally chill down to about 65 before pitching it in a big brew and that seems to help. My Holiday Ale had an OG of 1.087 and its temp went up to 72 in the first 24 hours.
It's fairly dry yeast overall but at 73 and above it will kick off some esters. They should mellow some with age. Plus in big brews it takes a lot more esters to mess with the flavors.
You should be fine.

i have no idea what the OG was because my ******* brewing buddy dropped my hydrometer on the floor. judging by what we put in it should be around 1.081. i guess ill see when it comes out. smells good so far

That is the exact same strain as Wyeast 1098. I use it about every other week. It will get hot in a high gravity beer.
I normally chill down to about 65 before pitching it in a big brew and that seems to help. My Holiday Ale had an OG of 1.087 and its temp went up to 72 in the first 24 hours.
It's fairly dry yeast overall but at 73 and above it will kick off some esters. They should mellow some with age. Plus in big brews it takes a lot more esters to mess with the flavors.
You should be fine.

Is it 1098 or 1335? 1335 is British Ale II that is a little dryer. I've also heard that 007 is wyeast witbread dry.

I just brewed a 1067 beer with 007 and the temp hit 72 on the first day. It has a slight harsh alcohol note to it, but it is still carbing.

Eric

Back