HELP I Can't get disconnect off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
I have been trying to get my air disconnect off of the liquid fitting on the keg. I was force carbonating and now I can't get it off. It can't possibly be this hard. Am I doing something wrong? Somebody help please!!

Yes- you did something wrong. The gas and beer fittings are different, and you need to use the proper fitting with each post. You're going to have to try and muscle it, I don't know of any other real recommendation to get it off. I've heard of people breaking the QD's after this kind of stunt, so be sure to relieve the pressure when you are going to town. Best of luck, tho.

In my experience, when force-carb'-ing, there is really no need to push gas through the dip tube, and if you do so, be sure to use the BEER fitting.

Brute force. Having a pry bar on 2 sides might help so that you can put equal pressure on it.

Yeah, as stated, you cant put a gas line on a liquid post, they are completely different. This sucks... why was the gas line on the liquid tube?

All of my keg connectors are the threaded type not the barbed ones. It costs a little more to put swivel nuts on all hoses but you get the flexibility to connect anything to anything.

They are hard to get off, pull, tug, pry...

Good Luck.
Ed

Everyone has to try to get that beer carbed as quick as possible.:rolleyes:
Shortcuts lead to disaster, but you know that now. Man up and rip it off, it will come off.

Let me know when you need advice on fixing an all foam pour.:);)

I've done this (swapped posts after cleaning when I didn't know better). As everyone said - use force/muscle and it will release. I'd also suggest reducing pressure in the keg first - when I finally got mine undone, I had a stuck poppet and got an eyewash.

Good luck!

I have heard of people putting gas on the liquid post to "carb faster". But, think about it, you are sending dime sized bubbles through the beer, do you REALLY think that is going to dissolve much CO2 into the beer? The bubbles are large and travel to the top and pop... that is all.

Unless you have an aeration stone of some sort on the liquid line to create TINY bubbles, you arent doing anything... except of course getting your disconnect stuck ;)

I used to force carb through the beer tube, then I just said to heck with it.
I usually keep one keg under pressure to rotate in my keggerator, when I need to force carb I pressurize, bleed out the air, pressurize, etc. Then I put in 30 lbs, and shake the sucker. It's a good workout. Pressurize and shake until its not taking more pressure very quickly, then I let it set over night and it is nicely carbed.

Back