Can't Drink for a While...But Not Gonna Stop Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IncredibleMulk

Reaction score
So my doc tells me earlier this week that I need to "drink absolutely no alcohol" for an undisclosed period of time due to some medication that she has put me on. Looks like at least 6 months! I was more than a little upset about this for obvious reasons, but thought this would be a good opportunity for me to make some BIG beers that can really age. What I'm looking for is some thoughts/recipes that might get me started.

Thanks!

I can't help you with the recipe but I had a nice big winter beer some years ago that used agave nectar in the secondary to polish it off. It had a very unique flavor.

Now that you can get agave nectar at Costco, it no longer costs a fortune (ala Whole Foods) to make this sort of beer.

I hope you get better sooner than later.

Sad news. I was exposed to TB while in the West Indies. Isoniazid for a year. 6 months with no alcohol and another 6 months with no more than 1 drink a day.

Doctors...psshh..he is just giving you a "recommendation." Deep down I don't think he really wants you to follow what he said.

Sorry about the sad news. You have the right idea though about some beers that take some time.

Doctors...psshh..he is just giving you a "recommendation." Deep down I don't think he really wants you to follow what he said.

i really hope you were kidding. :confused:

if the meds are extremely toxic (like david42), the doc is trying to protect his health.

even high doses of advil (ibuprophen and other names in large dose tabs) commonly used to treat many inflammations (tedonitis for me) counterindicate alcohol). ignoring that can be bad.

stomache damage (ulcers) is a fairly common impact of advil.

i say brew big beers and age them! :rockin:

Thanks for all of the kind words and support! I think that I'm gonna go ahead and do a Christmas Ale for next year, a Sweet Stout and a Scottish Strong Ale. I've already got Apfelwin in primary so it worked out. Don't know how good my Boston Ale is gonna taste if it ages for a few months or longer...I might have some happy friends in a month or so.

If I were you, I would look into the medicine and condition and see if alcohol is truly contraindicated. I know there are a lot of doctors that will make recommendation of "no alcohol" when it is not actually medically called for. They use their professional position as a doctor to advocate their personal opinions. If I ever thought that was the case, which it might not be here, I would absolutely seek the advice of another doctor.

I digress.....like sour beers?

Back