Green Beans with Accidental Garlic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
When I was in college I lived at one point in a townhouse with a kitchen. Soon I started experimenting, watching cooking shows... and making a mess. Being a mostly broke college kid, if it was even vaguely edible, I ate it. This recipe is the result of a happy accident.

Warning: it is not diet food, and would get any culinary student summarily expelled.

1 pound fresh green beans, haricots verts, or chinese longbeans cut to 4-5" long
1/2 a head of garlic, chopped as fine as a n00b homecook can chop
kosher salt
olive oil
1 packet Sazon Goya
1 40 oz bottle of malt liquor of your choice

1) put up a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
2) Add your washed green beans and allow to cook until they are techno-color green.
2.5) Drink malt liquor.
3) Drain and use the same pot (you only own one freaking pot) to sautee your garlic in way more olive oil than you really need. Crank the heat to high and take a phone call from that girl Kendra. The one who you will later find out used to snort No Doze:eek:.
4) come back to garlic that is brown (but not black) and crispy.
5) PANIC
6) Throw in your still-wet green beans and hop back as the oil spits. Turn down the heat and stir everything together with a wooden spoon until the green beans get a wrinkly skin.
7) Remove from heat and pour everything into a big plate (or a platter if you arent a college student).
8) Sprinkle Sazon Goya over the whole thing.

I am now 32 years old and have pulled off pate, brazed oxtail and quiche. What do I still make about once ever 3 months with a roast chicken and rice? These green beans. :mug:

My favorite thing to do with green beans is to blanch them off and toss them into ice water. Then add cubed thick cut bacon into a cold pan with no oil and turn it to about medium. Once the bacon start to render down add chopped onion and salt. Don't saute them but actually sweat them. Once the onion soften drain the excess grease out of the pan and turn to high. Let pan get up to temp and then add the green beans and some minced garlic and saute until beans are warmed through again and start to brown a little.

A 40 of OE is completely optional here.

What is this "sazon goya" you speak of? I'd guess it's some sort of spiced bullion powder from the Mexican food product maker by the same name; they make a lot of different things.
Ever tried stir-frying those green beans in some dark sesame oil with fresh garlic, ginger, chili, lemon juice & soy sauce? VERY TASTY! Just start with the garlic, ginger & chili like you do with your recipe & add the beans when the garlic is toasty. Add the liquids in the last couple of minutes; you want the soy sauce to partially caramelize. This also works well with oyster sauce.
Regards, GF.

That sounds great, gratus. I also make a spicy black pepper longbeans that I got the recipe for from a cooking class the wife bought me a few years back :).

Sazon (whether or not it is made by Goya, but Goya is most often the culprit) is an almost ubiquitous spice mix. If you dont have a Goya or Ethnic aisle in your supermarket, I wouldnt be surprised if it were just in your spice aisle (its been pretty common everywhere I've gone, even in Presque Isle, MI).

It comes in two varieties, with or without the coloring provided by annotto seeds which makes everything it touches a pinkish orange. I have used it in everything from chicken and pork to mixed with mayo to make a dipping sauce or sandwich spread. I highly recommend you play with it.

YES... love green beans and malt liquor... Here is what i made the other night... Sushi Crunch Roll... even made the little wasabi leaf. :)

IMAG1811.jpg

and another topped with Avacado and Mango

IMAG1812.jpg

Thanx, getting better at the rice... sometimes when I am rolling, I end up with an uneven edge and can see the paper, but getting the hang of it.... Ordering some fish soon

That sounds great, gratus. I also make a spicy black pepper longbeans that I got the recipe for from a cooking class the wife bought me a few years back :).

Sazon (whether or not it is made by Goya, but Goya is most often the culprit) is an almost ubiquitous spice mix. If you dont have a Goya or Ethnic aisle in your supermarket, I wouldnt be surprised if it were just in your spice aisle (its been pretty common everywhere I've gone, even in Presque Isle, MI).

It comes in two varieties, with or without the coloring provided by annotto seeds which makes everything it touches a pinkish orange. I have used it in everything from chicken and pork to mixed with mayo to make a dipping sauce or sandwich spread. I highly recommend you play with it.

I'll have a look in the Mexican section at the grocery store, odds are probably good they'll have sazon. Thanks for the recipe too, I might give it a try this weekend.
Regards, GF. :mug:

When I was in college I lived at one point in a townhouse with a kitchen. Soon I started experimenting, watching cooking shows... and making a mess. Being a mostly broke college kid, if it was even vaguely edible, I ate it. This recipe is the result of a happy accident.

Warning: it is not diet food, and would get any culinary student summarily expelled.

1 pound fresh green beans, haricots verts, or chinese longbeans cut to 4-5" long
1/2 a head of garlic, chopped as fine as a n00b homecook can chop
kosher salt
olive oil
1 packet Sazon Goya
1 40 oz bottle of malt liquor of your choice

1) put up a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
2) Add your washed green beans and allow to cook until they are techno-color green.
2.5) Drink malt liquor.
3) Drain and use the same pot (you only own one freaking pot) to sautee your garlic in way more olive oil than you really need. Crank the heat to high and take a phone call from that girl Kendra. The one who you will later find out used to snort No Doze:eek:.
4) come back to garlic that is brown (but not black) and crispy.
5) PANIC
6) Throw in your still-wet green beans and hop back as the oil spits. Turn down the heat and stir everything together with a wooden spoon until the green beans get a wrinkly skin.
7) Remove from heat and pour everything into a big plate (or a platter if you arent a college student).
8) Sprinkle Sazon Goya over the whole thing.

I am now 32 years old and have pulled off pate, brazed oxtail and quiche. What do I still make about once ever 3 months with a roast chicken and rice? These green beans. :mug:

FINALLY had a chance to try your recipe Creamy, only took 9 months to find the Sazon. I tried to stick to the recipe, but I ended up doing a couple of things differently:

I used dark sesame oil as I didn't have enough EVOO.
I used a wok to stir-fry
I had some yellow crookneck squash I needed to use before it went bad, so I sliced it up & tossed in with the beans.
I only used about 4 medium sized cloves of garlic
After adding 1 packet of the Sazon, it seemed like it was a very mild flavour, so I added another packet.

Turned out to be VERY TASTY! I added the 1st packet of Sazon while still stir-frying, so it sort of stuck & thickened a wee bit, adding just the right amount of caramelization, with just a wee hint of a bit of carbonization here & there.

When I 1st opened the spice packet, I could smell what I thought was cumin, but the flavour was much more mild than I expected from the aroma from the packet. Oddly enough, I didn't taste any cumin when I was eating those tasty beans.

I can see where the addition of green onions, mushrooms, maybe red bell pepper would be good. A 3rd spice packet might be tasty too. Next time I'll use camelina oil for an added fresh/green flavour. If you've never tried camelina oil, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recipe Creamy, I didn't exactly run with it (yet), but I did sort of take it for a walk down the block a little.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Glad to hear GF! Also glad to hear you were able to find Sazon. It's pretty versitile, and I put it on an awful lot of things. I also rub the skin of a chicken with it before roasting.

Back