Bye my stirbar for at least 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow52

Reaction score
Although I reminded myself 20 times during my brew session yesterday (Belgian Wit Ale aka no hoe in das gaarden) not to pitch the stirbar with my yeast I did anyway. Also dropped my glass thermometer right at the end. Time to invest in double of all these essential items I guess. Sadly I cannot blame the home brews I was enjoying since I am still building a pipeline but I can blame the plethora of franziskaner weissbier. Hey, I need the bottles.

This morning I am happy to report an active airlock from my first washed yeast wlp400. This successful ferm start I attribute to my newly built stir plate, the fact that I placed the yeast flask right next to a speaker playing them a choice selection of 'The Head and The Heart' and 'Graveyard Train' tunes and my passionate pitching speech of encouragement before I sent them off while avoiding dropping a tear in the fermenter.

If it's any consolation, for some retarded reason I placed my erlenmeyer flask down on the floor as I was cleaning after brewing today and promptly kicked it across the room. Awesome way to cap off an otherwise flawless brewday!

Airborneguy said:
If it's any consolation, for some retarded reason I placed my erlenmeyer flask down on the floor as I was cleaning after brewing today and promptly kicked it across the room. Awesome way to cap off an otherwise flawless brewday!

That makes me feel marginally better, thanks!

HA! I did the same thing this weekend. And that's why I have two stirbars. One tip - Put a note on your fermenter so in 4 weeks you remember it's in there and don't chuck it with the trub.

i am keeping track of every time i do that

fermented stirbar 3
used keeper magnet 2

i purchased a 4 pack of stir bars after the first time.

If you have a second stir bar or a strong magnet, you can "capture" the stuck stirbar from the outside of the carboy/bucket, pull it up the side and carefully grab it - I do this all the time in the lab where I work.

If you have a second stir bar or a strong magnet, you can "capture" the stuck stirbar from the outside of the carboy/bucket, pull it up the side and carefully grab it - I do this all the time in the lab where I work.

+1 Rare earth magnet! Pull it and drag right out. Piece of cake (or yeast).

Thanks for the feedback and tips. What a cool forum with a bunch of great guys. Makes brewing that much more fun.

Cheers!

I recently dumped my stirbar down the drain. felt pretty stupid as i watched it fall out as I dumped and realized i didnt put the magnet on the bottom.

Did the same thing yesterday, told myself...don't pitch the stir bar...don't do it.....20 seconds later....plop....see you in two weeks stir bar

I recently dumped my stirbar down the drain. felt pretty stupid as i watched it fall out as I dumped and realized i didnt put the magnet on the bottom.

Did you take the trap off to see if it was in there? If you didn't dump with too much force it could be there.

Latest posts

Back