Clumpy WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Reaction score
I just made a starter, and no matter how hard I shook the vial of WLP002 the yeast slurry never completely broke up and looked milky like the white labs yeast usually does; instead it was all clumpy... looked like all the clumps were about 1 to 2 mm across. The "best by" date is Feb 2011. This is my first time using WLP002. Any reason to worry?

WLP007 does the same thing. Sure is ugly isn't it? :cross:

A little :off: but related to WLP007 and WLP002.

I have only used WLP007 once (ran it side by side with WLP022) and noticed it dropped to the bottom of the fermenter within a day or so, but, it continued to throw 3/8"-sized chunks of yeast up from the bottom of the carboy back up into the ferment. The chunks would immediately fall back to the bottom.

'Been brewing since the early 90's and have never seen anything like it.

A little :off: but related to WLP007 and WLP002.

I have only used WLP007 once (ran it side by side with WLP022) and noticed it dropped to the bottom of the fermenter within a day or so, but, it continued to throw 3/8"-sized chunks of yeast up from the bottom of the carboy back up into the ferment. The chunks would immediately fall back to the bottom.

'Been brewing since the early 90's and have never seen anything like it.

My starter has about a 1/2" layer of yeast on the bottom right now, and it is doing that exact thing. The chunks it's spewing up are bb size. It's like a 1 gallon brown lava lamp... I've seen similar types of blurps from a lot of trub on the bottom of a carboy, but I always thought that was just trapped CO2.

That's common for a good percentage of British yeasts, and is one of the main reasons I love them. Given enough cold conditioning time, even my dry hopped beers come out crystal clear.

Back