Bulk Grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Vittles Vault II 40lb- Holds up to 60 pounds of seed. Dimensions are 14"x14"x24" and it has a double gasket seal. One at each lid.

I just bought 5 of these at USPlastics. Base price was ~$22 but, if you order 4 or more you get a 10% discount. Discounts get deeper the more you order at one time. My order came to ~$19 each with ~$22 shipping.

Prost!

I have a bunch of those, also bought from USplastic. I love them. I have several sizes. they also sell them at petsmart. not sure of the price but you'd save on the shipping.

I saw them, but opted for something that was more stackable and seemed to be a little more rugged. But I'm sure both work fine... though I love mine

Vittlevault 60

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same bins as brrman but picked them up at Tractor Supply for $15 a pop. Almost a whole 55# sack of basemalt. Wheat Malt and Rice Hulls get stored in Homer Buckets until I find something better.

I use the following with a screw top lid for specialty grains and they hold about 5# per container.

1b49_sm.jpg

Yeah vittlevaults rock, you can get them at petsmart, and a couple people actually use them as fermenters as well...

Thanks for posting the volume size you use for grain storage...I was planning to get one for myself, but wasn't sure which would store a 50 pound bag.

:mug:

I use a variety of storage containers depending on the amount:

A Rubbermaid 15 quart snap-top bin holds a full sack of grain easily.

imagerequest.aspx

Like mmb, I use those screw-top containers for 5 pound lots.

A 1 qt mason jar holds a pound of specialty grain; makes it easy to note when I need to replace dwindling inventory.

I'm confused buddy....which if these is the 40 pounder?

Amazon shows one shape and another site shows another...

This is from a pet site...

afcd_1_sbol_463_1.JPG

Whereas Amazon is saying these are 40 pounders???

41X8WB0C2QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

For my space limitaions I would rather have them like the amazon ones...but but but...I'm cornfused...

:confused:

That is also pounds of food. I think the homer buckets are 5 gallons and that hold half a bag so the 11 gal should hold the whole thing.

Sorry for being late coming back to the party.

Revvy, I am using the non-stackable vault. I like the stackable but they are, IIRC, in the $30 price range at USPlastics so I had to pass on those.

The 40# VV 2's are what I got. They hold a 55# sack of malt no sweat. I am skeptical about 60# but there is some room left over after 55# so.....

I ordered a couple of 40lb Vittles Vault II's yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that the shipping from Ohio (where USP is) was only $5.94 to my home in Aurora, IL. I was expecting in $10-$12 range.

I use the same bins as brrman but picked them up at Tractor Supply for $15 a pop. Almost a whole 55# sack of basemalt. Wheat Malt and Rice Hulls get stored in Homer Buckets until I find something better.

I use the following with a screw top lid for specialty grains and they hold about 5# per container.

1b49_sm.jpg

BUMP.

Where can I get some of these if I may ask. Also roughly how long can you store grain in these airtight comtainers before it goes bad?

BUMP.

Where can I get some of these if I may ask. Also roughly how long can you store grain in these airtight comtainers before it goes bad?

Heh.. you beat me to it, I'm actually interested in buying some of these too. In general, uncracked grain will store for about a year.

Heh.. you beat me to it, I'm actually interested in buying some of these too. In general, uncracked grain will store for about a year.

I've made fine beer with two year old uncracked grain stored in my garage. Keep it dry and free from bugs are you are good to go.

BUMP.

I picked them up at walmart. Something like $3 a piece. I buy uncrushed so it lasts a while, but 5# of grain doesn't really last all that long anyway.

Do the wheels hold up well under the weight of the grains? If so, I may get some of these.

Wheels hold up fine. They are made for storing pet food and animal feed so weight shouldn't be an issue.

I picked them up at walmart. Something like $3 a piece. I buy uncrushed so it lasts a while, but 5# of grain doesn't really last all that long anyway.

Wheels hold up fine. They are made for storing pet food and animal feed so weight shouldn't be an issue.

10-4 Thanx!

Can anyone tell me whether the vittles vault II would be suitable as a fermenter? What type of plastic is it made of? Thanks

Thanks Revvy. I knew you'd come through. BTW, I didn't start that thread some guy posted it back in May and got no response.

If you know anyone who has cats, litter buckets are amazingly sturdy, easy to clean, have a good handle, and are very stackable. Someone who owns cats will go through a number of these in a year. A 27# cat litter bucket will hold about 15# of malt. I don't think the lids seal airtight or anything, but I can't see where that's a big issue with malt, since it's sure not airtight in the big 50# paper or plastic sacks I get it in. Bigger containers might be marginally more efficient, but these were FREE.

Back