I just racked my Belgian Wit - WTF is with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I just racked my second batch of Belgian Wit and have experienced the same situation with previous brews, so here it is and I know it's probably normal stuff and all but it's weird.

I opened up the primary to find a huge amount of yeast stuck to the side of the primary just above the liquid line. There was still considerable amounts of foam (Krausening?) present to. Anyway, is this normal? Is it possible or recommended to open the primary and scrape this stuff off and back into the brew during fermentation, or do I just leave it because it is supposed to be there like that.

My F.G. was just around 1.02 when I removed a sample amount and used my hydrometer. I racked to a secondary as I do not have a spare keg until this weekend and I plan on cold crashing it in the garage at around 35 degrees. Is this okay or should I let it sit in the cellar at 65 degrees until Saturday?

As you no doubt can tell, I am a new brewer and full of questions. Will appreciate any answers or advice. Thanks.

Salute! :mug:

I am still new to Belgians, have only used Wyeast 1726? and 3787. Both had a thick long lasting krausen. I didn't see how long its been in primary? If there is still krusen, I would let it sit at ale temps. 1.02 sounds high for a FG.

I am still new to Belgians, have only used Wyeast 1726? and 3787. Both had a thick long lasting krausen. I didn't see how long its been in primary? If there is still krusen, I would let it sit at ale temps. 1.02 sounds high for a FG.

Primary for over two weeks. No activity in airlock and the FG may have been lower than the reported 1.02 as I did not correct for temperature. Still I racked it already and it is now in the cellar (65-67 degrees). After transfer, I did notice some activity in the airlock, but it was very long in between burps. I also purged the carboy with co2 before and after transfer so as to minimize O2 exposure. My 5 gallon carboy was already in use, so I had to use a 6 gallon one.

If 1.02 sounds high, should I allow it to stay in the cellar at warmer temp to finish before cold crashing or is it necessary to cold crash this brew? Sorry for the inexperienced questions.

Salute! :mug:

If it's still active, you should let it sit. Given your gravity readings and the style, I would say it has quite a bit to go. The recipe would help.

Let your hydrometer be your guide. When it's done dropping the beer is done fermenting and the yeasts will clean up for about a week or two.

Every beer is different, but a wit made to style will finish much lower than that.

Anyway, is this normal? Is it possible or recommended to open the primary and scrape this stuff off and back into the brew during fermentation, or do I just leave it because it is supposed to be there like that.

No, on the scrapping/racking it. Leave it.
That is all what's left of after fermenting and if you add it back into your brew, it will be very bitter.
It's normal to be stuck on the sides.
Let your brew sit in your secondary for 3 weeks and it should be ready to keg.

Back