Parti Gyle Presentation materials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!!!!

I am giving a presentation at a local weekly beer education class about parti-gyle brewing and tasting out two English beers that would have traditionally been produced with the process. I will be tasting out a Barleywine and hopefully a bitter if I can find one at the store the tasting is at. What I need from all of you, are some materials....

Pictures, presentation materials, summaries, anything you have seen, or leads to things you have seen.

I am working on a one page handout know to outline the basic brewing process and compare it to parti-gyle style brewing. I will keep this thread updated with what I come up with.

Please help me out if you have any leads! Thanks!

AND FOR ALL YOU SEWAGE MEMBERS!!!! COME OUT TO SONOMA CELLARS THIS THURSDAY AT 6:00PM!!!!!!!!:mug:

Oh for crying out loud, I am writing about English brewing while enjoying a number of Old Stock '05s and other assorted goodies and just need some pictures and fancy stuff. I have to write grammatically correct all day and now I am drinking and not worrying about it!!!!!!! :rockin: :mug:

Help me out will ya.....

And by the way...

"Ending sentences with a preposition is something up with which I will no longer put."

Place that quote hotshot! ;)

if it appears that im post-whoring, it's because I am. apparently it is commendable to post-whore, while new-thread posting is abhorrent. im a bit upsidedown at the moment, and taking measures to right it.

Revvy get your butt in here!

Partigyle can get a little crazy. It requires at least on RDWHB for sanity!

To add something useful - from my experience (singular), the two beers are fairly close in color if you are using anything 350+. While the gravity drops off, the color contribution slowly tapers back.

One more thing - with my batch of equal 3 gallon runoffs, (a pumkin porter and brown) my gravities were 1.091 and 1.057. Would you like my Beersmith files?

Hmm, I can't add too much other than the fact that I've recently done a successful partigyle.

Using my trusty BTP software I selected my grainbill based on 50% efficiency. I chose a strike infusion rate that would give me my barleywine preboil volume on first runnings. What I found in practice was that the efficiency of those first runnings was ACTUALLY 60%. I'm sure it's relative to what your normal batch efficiency is (my is 90%). Therefore, it's safe to say that your first runnings gravity will be about 2/3rds of your normal efficiency.

SO... now you duplicate the recipe file and set the efficiency for 30% (or whatever 1/3rd of your normal efficiency is) and that will give you a decent indication of what to expect out of the second runnings. The color representation will be off though since most of the color went out with first runnings.

I threw a pound of crystal 80 on top of the mash prior to infusing my sparge.

I used my HLT as the boil kettle for the small beer so that I could run them at the same time. Nice time saver there.

Back