Things I've said

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Things I've said to SWMBO since I joined HBT that came back to bite me in the ass.

#1. All Grain is stupid. I a just fine with extract, it's suited me just fine for years.
(6 weeks later...I was building a mash tun)

#2. Kegs? Phist! Why the heck would I want 5 gallons of beer in the fridge at a time? I like verity!
(Now I need 2 more taps and shanks. I still like Verity, and 3 isn't nearly enough!)

#3 I like to brew too much to want to do 10 gallon batches
(No Repercussions yet)

#4 Why would I want a conical fermentor? They just take up too much space.
(No Repercussions yet)

#5- No honey, I'm fine with just brewing kits. I won't be buying bulk sacks of grain or hops. :D

(All said while I have 135# of grain and 3 # of whole hops down in the basement brewery).

No hun, the bottom of the closet is all I'll need, just 2 5 gallon buckets.

Within 1 year...5 buckets, 6 carboys, 2 chest freezers. Oh, and I still bottle (for now)

Things I've said to SWMBO since I joined HBT that came back to bite me in the ass.

#1. All Grain is stupid. I a just fine with extract, it's suited me just fine for years.

#2. Kegs? Phist! Why the heck would I want 5 gallons of beer in the fridge at a time? I like verity!
(Now I need 2 more taps and shanks. I still like Verity, and 3 isn't nearly enough!)

(No Repercussions yet)

(No Repercussions yet)

I said all of these verbatim. I just kegged my first two batches (AG btw) and I am planning my 10 gallon brewstand. No plans for a conical yet.

We're moving into a 3 bedroom house right now. One bedroom is ours, one is going to be a computer room, and we don't have an extra bed yet, so what's the point of a spare bedroom? That's right, it's a bona-fide, SWMBO approved , 100% brew room. Our last apartment had a room that was the computer/brew room and it was fully furnished so there was a bunch of stupid furniture in my way. Now there's just a couple of folding tables, shelves, and a chest freezer.:fro:

wife quote: "We dont have room for anymore equipment. You'll have to wait till we have a house first."

(No Repercussions yet)

(No Repercussions yet)

With the exception of #1 and #4 I too have made such predictions. However, I went a step further and, until several months ago, I was content with making mead and wine and never thought I'd even be brewing. Never say never...

I started off with "I just need the bench in the mudroom", which grew to 1/4th of the garage, part of the laundry room, and now with 300# of grain behind the couch in the living room. :D

That's when the order to build the brewhaus came down. :D

"All I will need is one closet. You will never know I am brewing, all my equipment will fit in one box and be out of the way."

Thats from when I just started... not so much any more. I have half of the garage, and equipment littered all over the house.

"All I will need is one closet. You will never know I am brewing, all my equipment will fit in one box and be out of the way."

Thats from when I just started... not so much any more. I have half of the garage, and equipment littered all over the house.

+1 I promised HWMO (who is a bit of a neat freak) that my equipment and fermenting products would only occupy the coat closet he doesn't use. One year later, our tiny apartment has 5 glass carboys, a steam trunk of bottles, 2 buckets, and all the other fripperies crammed into the closet or in our dining area. I can't wait until we get a house with a basement or garage. My mashtun and kettle are still at my parents' house, since they own a propane burner and I do all my brewing there.

Here's mine:

All I need is just this _______________. Just that. That's all I'll ever need, I swear. I won't ever have to buy another thing!

I've filled in that blank with turkey fryer, mash tun, immersion chiller, brewpot, freezer, fridge, kegging set up, keggle, etc. The funny thing is, I actually meant that at the time! I NEVER imagined going all grain, and then I NEVER imagined kegging. Now, I am beginning to imagine a 3-tier system.

"Do I want anything from the nursery? Hmm... How about a hop plant?"

I was half kidding at the time, but damnned if she didn't find me one and buy it. Got me back into the hobby. 2 years later, I think she regrets it.

"There is no way...I am done now...I won't need to spend any more money now that I have this...":
Kegger5.JPG

Two months later...:
DripTray_New_Freezer2.jpg

I don't even try to fool myself or the wife.

-I said I'll do AG, and I did.
-I made her sanitize bottles, she told me to get kegs.
-I said I wanted a bar in the basement, she said get building.

The sky is the limit for me. A couple of nights ago we were talking about a opening a brew pub after I retire from the fire department. (Long way off)

Mike

I always swore I'd never go to AG. Why bother when specialty grains or PM works just fine? When we moved to a house I started brewing outside and had to build an MLT for my partial mashes becuase it was a PITA to steep in my new keggle. I just did my first AG last week. Oh, and add to that the kegging set up in the garage, and the 5 cornies, and the keggle, and the propane burner... It's a darn good thing SWMBO doesn't know what i've spent on brewing in the last 4 months.

I'm freaking out reading what you guys are saying here. I am already planning my extra set of bottles, and maybe another fermenter to keep a good rotation, and, and, and, and... it's a good thing my girlfriend (for lack of a better word since we live together and the dog is "ours" and the rest is inevitable in a good way) is understanding. Heck, she bought my first batch of bottles. So you're saying it's only gonna get worse!?!?!?!?!

So you're saying it's only gonna get worse!?!?!?!?!

Here is a post from earlier tonight....
wow!! -- 10 cases in 1 day... so just how many bottles do you have now?

I got pretty picky and actually threw a TON back to the Recycle bins...but there are 30 cases in the basement waiting to be delabeled, and filled, along with 6 cases that are full, and the 4 that I just bought at the LBS (WAY TOO LAZY) yesterday....Guess that's....40 cases.

AND...I keg...with 10 Kegs now. :ban: (Thanks jds!)

Ya, it gets worse!

I'm freaking out reading what you guys are saying here. I am already planning my extra set of bottles, and maybe another fermenter to keep a good rotation, and, and, and, and... it's a good thing my girlfriend (for lack of a better word since we live together and the dog is "ours" and the rest is inevitable in a good way) is understanding. Heck, she bought my first batch of bottles. So you're saying it's only gonna get worse!?!?!?!?!

It's going to get much, much worse and sooner rather than later.

Mike

yup in 6 months of beginning brewing I had 5 fermentors, 3 glass carboys, fryers, 6 5 gallon kegs a 3 gallon, and all the other misc stuff, thanks for the basic one pale xmas present hun!!!! sorry about the second mortgage!!!!!!

about three months ago...i don't need a milk crate to carry around the full carboys, i've been hucking them around for four years...

....as i mopped blood and sweet sticky wort off the basement floor. thank the gods for drains in the cellar...

and young grasshopper has learned from the old and wise to never ever utter these words, instead, I always wish and dream about stuff I don't have yet, so it's not a bombshell

My old lady is cool with me buying brewing stuff left and right. But she is a little annoyed at the 3 freezers in the garage.:ban:

^hahahaha^
One of my "go-to's", usually yelled at the top of my lungs to carry from the ground floor upstairs where The Spousal Unit is calling from :D

Cheers!

Can someone remind me what a swmbo is, and how that might affect brewing?
She Who Must Be Obeyed. I’ve been married for just short of 50 years and I haven’t been able to figure out why SWMBO should even be a thing. Either I got lucky or I’m just a little bit smarter than the average male of the species. Whatever.

My wife is a quilter. Quilting is a hobby which makes homebrewing look like a rounding error in the average household budget. :cool:

Thanks for that, Mark. My 20 year relationship / 14yr marriage also doesn’t fit with the SWMBO thing, but I do get that folks are probably exaggerating for fun.

Dan

Back