Third Coast Old Ale (Bells)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, that's the trouble. I guess it would age well at any rate so I suppose a case may not be all that bad. I've never actually tried a BarleyWine (oh the shame, I know :D) but they do sound enjoyable when done right. I do suppose I could give some 6-ers out as gifts....hmmm...

If you lived closer or were planning on coming through the area, I would suggest splitting the case with you.

Course when (note I say when with all optimism) the case law changes, this wont be a problem anymore!!!!! My local had a case of Hell Hath No Fury that I would have loved a couple 6 packs from but not the whole dang thing.

Wow, so HUGE rant here :D..... I stopped by the distro and was looking for something to pick up and this lady is there with one of the employees. She's got this handtruck with like a 'Mexican sampler' case and something else which I don't recall and the guy brings her over to the Bell's section. He's like "yeah the Two Hearted Ale is nice", and I chimed in "yes very good, they have very good brews in general". So the employee is like "oh they have the Left Coast Old Ale too". The lady is like "I'll take one of those". So I say " That'll put you under! It's around 10%"...to which she replies "Oh he's a college student, they are used to that". (She was buying for her sons party!). In retrospect, I should have said "You might be better off with a Brown Ale" (Or something) but I didn't want to get wierd. It borders on Blasphemy :D

...or you should have questioned her on the son's age, imply the possibility of an underage purchase and you could perhaps be persuaded to forget the whole thing if she leaves the old ale behind ;)

I have a local bottle shop that stocks numerous singles and I make it a point to pick up a few of these. What distro where you at? I hear Westys in Camp Hill is pretty bitchin!

Personally, I found Bell's Third Coast Ale to be lack luster. I was expecting a lot out of this brew given the rave reviews but honestly found it to be bland and lacking depth. I felt ripped off at the price I paid for it which is a crappy feeling when you're buying brew.

I really enjoy some of Bell's Brews (particularly their Two Hearted), but some of their other stuff just doesn't do it for me. =/

Back