Yeast Washing Illustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonGrafto said:
Update:

This is a picture of what I ended up with by directing my blowoff into sterile water and then cold crashing. Pure white yeast at the bottom of my 3000 ml erlenmeyer. Looks good to me.

See post #1913 for my setup.

That looks gnarly! Gonna have to try that myself in my next batch.

mtnagel said:
So what's the difference between top cropped yeast and all the other ways to get yeast?

From the way I understand it, top cropping is taking the foamy substance from the top of an actively fermenting ale. Another way is to rinse yeast after it is done fermenting and you have bottled or kegged your beer (what's left at the bottom).

Yes, I get how they are done (I've rinsed yeast a few times from my primary fermenter), but what I was asking is if the top crop yeast is any different, i.e. cleaner, fresher, better, etc?

mtnagel said:
Yes, I get how they are done (I've rinsed yeast a few times from my primary fermenter), but what I was asking is if the top crop yeast is any different, i.e. cleaner, fresher, better, etc?

Well I'd imagine it would be free of trub. Other than that I have no clue.

JonGrafto said:
Update:

This is a picture of what I ended up with by directing my blowoff into sterile water and then cold crashing. Pure white yeast at the bottom of my 3000 ml erlenmeyer. Looks good to me.

See post #1913 for my setup.

I looked at your pic, but I am having some trouble seeing how you're venting it.

winvarin said:
I looked at your pic, but I am having some trouble seeing how you're venting it.

Blowoff from fermenter to orange lid on erlenmeyer. Them on the other tube on the orange lid I put foil but it kept being blown off so I took a chip clip to make sure the foil stayed on but allowed co2 to escape.

I may be way off here, but it's my understanding that yeast you get from the foam is some of the more active yeast of the strain. These are the boys who go in guns blazing and ready to convert the sugars into Alcohol and CO2. In the good old days they used to skim this off to pitch it into another batch.

I may be way off here, but it's my understanding that yeast you get from the foam is some of the more active yeast of the strain. These are the boys who go in guns blazing and ready to convert the sugars into Alcohol and CO2. In the good old days they used to skim this off to pitch it into another batch.

^^^ This is my understanding as well..

And since you are losing your healthy guys in the blowoff, instead of making them kamikazi pilots, I am rescuing them to live another day.

There's a difference between cropping yeast out, which would happen during fermentation, and collecting yeast after fermentation.

I have never tried cropping. Never wanted to risk contamination. However, I have reused yeast. Recently I have begun only collecting for reused a finer, lighter in color, upper layer that rests above the "trub." I think this is the good yeast swhich can be used again (and agin, and again).

Didn't have time to wash my yeast until 6 hours after after bottling the beer. I left about 1/2 inch of beer on the yeast cake to protect it but I am not sure if this was too much time between bottling and washing for the yeast to be OK. I did have the lid snapped onto the bucket during this 6 hour delay.

msa8967 said:
Didn't have time to wash my yeast until 6 hours after after bottling the beer. I left about 1/2 inch of beer on the yeast cake to protect it but I am not sure if this was too much time between bottling and washing for the yeast to be OK. I did have the lid snapped onto the bucket during this 6 hour delay.

It should be fine. The cake is under a barrier of alcohol even with only a 1/2 inch of beer. It's harder to contaminate your beer or in this case your yeast than you'd think. By no means is it impossible, but its not easy either.

What I've been curious to know is do people wash yeast after they've used gelatin? I'm assuming not, or if so, you rack it to a secondary before using the gelatin so its not in the cake your trying to wash. Anyone have any input here?

I tried washing yeast after I had added gelatin to the primar after the beer had been cold crashed for 3 days. It did not go well so I recommend that if you want to use gelatin do so after you have washed the yeast and transfered to a secondary.

msa8967 said:
I tried washing yeast after I had added gelatin to the primar after the beer had been cold crashed for 3 days. It did not go well so I recommend that if you want to use gelatin do so after you have washed the yeast and transfered to a secondary.

That was my gut feeling. Thanks for reaffirming that for me.

msa8967 said:

Or just harvest from your starter ;) (see my signature)

Or just harvest from your starter ;) (see my signature)

I was washing my yeast and then found your method of propagating. This worked so much better for me than I thought. I turned a vial of WLP into a 2 liter starter and decanted half into a batch of Sweet Stout and the other half into another 2 liter starter. Again half went to an Irish Blonde and the other half is sitting in the fridge waiting my next brew day for an Irish brew of whatever kind. I will never wash yeast again. Thank you for showing that there is an easier way to save my yeast!

Mouse :mug:

Just finished a WLP029 Kölsch starter and this is what I got... The thing that I found odd was( this is my first starter AND propagation) is that the liquid and solid almost immediately separated!!! I boiled the "wash" water, cooled, decanted beer, left about a half inch of beer on yeast, added the water, stirred and it just kept separating.. Like in a matter about a minuet or so. I soaked my containers in iodophor and filled them. This is what I got immediately after finishing.

image-809895973.jpg

Did I do something wrong??

KeyWestBrewing said:
Anyone do this successfully with cider? I tried washing a cake last night but the yeast doesn't really separate from the lees.

Did you make a starter for your cider? ;) (see my signature)

Is there an ideal yeast to water ratio for the storage container? Or more like, how much yeast can be crammed into a container?

Is there an ideal yeast to water ratio for the storage container? Or more like, how much yeast can be crammed into a container?

I dont have an answer to your first question though I'd think enough water to fill the container. From my experience, filling a half pint mason jar to the top with slurry will be about a half container of yeast when it settles down. From there I could always decant and combine containers if wanted.

Did you make a starter for your cider? ;) (see my signature)

I didnt its just Notty. I have read the link in your signature though and plan on doing that in the future with liquid yeasts. As well as washing cakes to really create a stock pile of yeasts and to give away to other brewers I know.

No idea what is the ideal ratio but I use 50ml vials and usually end up with between 25ml - 35ml of compacted yeast (50 - 70%).
My guess is you could fill them 90% yeast without problems but have not found the need.

Currently i have a 70% yeast vial (35ml yeast) on the stir plate at the moment in a 1.5L starter and it is going gangbusters. It was exactly 2 months old. I need around 210bn for my next brew and YeastCalc tells me this should get me there.

First, go to yeastcalc.com and see how many cells you need for your particular beer.

Then, go to this calculator I made up (you might have to copy it to your Google Docs to edit it).

You enter all the things in grey if you have them and you'll see how many yeast cells you have for your quantity of washed yeast/trub. So then you'd see if you have enough or if you have to make a starter. Hope that helps.

BTW, I'd love some feedback from anyone to make sure I'm on the right track with the calculator. I think I've captured everything.

I pitched some yeast I washed on Sunday to a 1.060 brew last night. Yeast was Wyeast Cal Ale II.

This morning, there were no signs of fermentation. Since I'm a chicken, I pitched a packet of US05 to be safe.

I'm afraid the yeast was too cold when I pitched it. The jar only sat out of the fridge for less than an hour before I decanted the water and pitched.

I pitched some yeast I washed on Sunday to a 1.060 brew last night. Yeast was Wyeast Cal Ale II.

This morning, there were no signs of fermentation. Since I'm a chicken, I pitched a packet of US05 to be safe.

I'm afraid the yeast was too cold when I pitched it. The jar only sat out of the fridge for less than an hour before I decanted the water and pitched.

How much yeast was there? Even if it was cold, it would have eventually warmed up and went to work. It's WAY too soon to say that first yeast wasn't going to take off. I've had beers take 4 days to show signs, before.

How much yeast was there? Even if it was cold, it would have eventually warmed up and went to work. It's WAY too soon to say that first yeast wasn't going to take off. I've had beers take 4 days to show signs, before.

There was a lot. 3 inches in a pint mason jar. I probably could have let it ride, but I took the chicken exit to avoid an infection and a wasted batch.

I did not make a starter because it had only been 4 days since I washed it.

I'm brewing again today, and plan to re-use some 3711 for a dark saison. I'll be kegging a lighter saison during the brew day, so I'll probably just dump on the cake. The new beer should be 20-30 points higher.

OK, you probably had plenty of yeast, FWIW. Next time set the yeast in a bath of lukewarm water, gradually increasing the water bath temp. Be gradual, but it will be fine.

Back