My first year of growing my own hops, but they don't smell like anything.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retardedsloth

Reaction score
I decided to plant a couple of rizomes this year to grow my own hops. Both plants are doing well with lots of hops on them. Several are now almost the size of a golf ball. I harvested one and smelled it, nothing. Crushed it, rubbed it, smelled it again, nothing. Is that normal? Do they need to be dried or boiled before they have any sort of aroma?

My first year Cascades are not as odorous as the Cascades I buy - a member of my homebrew club told me that is normal for the first year.

Yeah, that's somewhat normal for the first year - it also may be a sign that they're not ready to harvest yet. In addition to the other signs (papery feel, slight browning on edges), the cones will get much more fragrant when they're ready to go.

hey retarded sloth, I have three same thing going on with my first hops, a couple just turned papery with brown tips and they already smell much stronger ...the picture is from a while ago...they are now the size of big strawberries

ForumRunner_20110830_210931.jpg

Back