totally new to homebrewing - feeling overwhelmed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catalina

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing. I haven't even bought a kit yet. I have been a big beer girl for a long time yet and want to take my hobby to the next level. But I'm already feeling overwhelmed with all the details. How can I begin in the shallow end and not feel like this is all hopelessly over my head?

How can I begin in the shallow end and not feel like this is all hopelessly over my head?

Buy a kit. Throw out the directions and find new ones here. If it were difficult, I wouldn't do it.

Most LHBS have brewing demos that they put on from time to time. Attending one of those is a great way to see the brewing process and realize that it isn't all that scary of a process.

The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian is a good book that will explain everything step by step.

I promise you that if you can boil water and keep things sanitized (not as hard as it sounds) you can make beer.

IMHO, I think you should get a kit and buy Palmer. Read the sections in Palmer that are necessary for a kit (which isnt much). Then brew according to that.

Once you do this, then come back to this site to read and post.

Otherwise it would definitely feel overwhelming.

Always on my mind. Catalina....seek and you shall find.....Catalina.....you were always so kind.....I'll be there for you.........

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Watch videos on YouTube. There are some crappy ones out there, but there are also a lot of good ones. Once you see it, you'll realize its really no big deal. You can also purchase "how to" vids from a lot of places online and probably at your LHBS

IMHO, I think you should get a kit and buy Palmer. Read the sections in Palmer that are necessary for a kit (which isnt much). Then brew according to that.

I read How to Brew before I did anything else. You won't understand a lot of it, but after a batch or two bells will start going off

First and foremost, relax. It's really hard to screw this up. Besides, this is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.

Next get a kit of a beer you like, but stay away from high gravity beers that may take months to carb and condition, nothing is worse than making a batch of beer that won't be ready for 6 months or more.

Third, throw out the instructions and read this sticky in the beginner's section.

Fourth, read this thread to realize just how hard it really IS to screw this beer stuff up.

Fifth, see instruction number 1

:mug:

Have you looked into finding a local homebrew club? I learn best by watching and doing. My club often does a "teach a friend to brew day"...

If that's not an option, then buy a good starter kit from your local shop, buy an extract ingrdient kit, follow those directions and you'll get a good beer. Once you've done that once or twice, start reading and asking question to refine your process.

Brewing is fairly forgiving as a whole but there is ALWAYS room for improvement...

Things you'll want to focus on are:
- sanitation... Once you're done boiling the wort (the stuff you're gonna ferment), you have to be careful to not introduce anything that'll grow and infect your beer (spores, wild yeast and bacteria). I clean my stuff with PBW and then sanitize with StarSan (follow the directions for both). Just clean and sanitize anything that is gonna touch the wort/beer.
- fermentation... Try to keep your temperatures ~68 degrees and stable. If you're in San Fran and don't use a/c to cool your house, then consider putting the fermenter in a second bathtub (if you have one) because the water mass changes temp slower than the day/night temp fluctuations there. You can add a bit of ice or warm water if needed.

Those two things, if done correctly will produce good beer. If you've bought an ingredient kit, then it's a proven recipe that'll probably be good.

If you want a good starter read, look here: http://www.howtobrew.com/ no need to read the whole thing now, just read about the beginner stuff.

If you want to listen to some good podcasts, go here: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong and listen to as many as you can... I just downloaded ALL of them and listen to them on my commute too and from work. I've learned a bunch and it's easier for me to digest than simply reading about it.

I bought a kit from Northern Brewer - the cheapest one with buckets and everything. The best part was, the instructions were clear and concise, and there's a DVD right there in the box.

It really is hard to screw up. My first beer wasn't great, but I found that if you drank enough of them, you cared less. The second was better... the third is conditioning while numbers 4 and 5 ferment.

Oh, btw, it's addictive. :D

wow you guys have been so helpful! I still feel a bit overwhelmed, but it's not as scary. And I guess you guys are right, it's supposed to be a hobby after all LOL

+1 to Charlie Papazian's book. I'm pretty new to this hobby myself (just put my third batch into bottles), and his advice has been really good.

Re: equipment, I have the equivalent of a starter kit from Northern Brewer (no glass carboys or secondary fermenters), and that has been more than enough for me at this point. I would start out with one of these kits and then upgrade in pieces as you become more comfortable.

Most importantly, I would not recommend that you buy any extract kit that comes in a can, such as Munton's or Cooper's. They recommend that you use lots of corn sugar in addition to the liquid malt extract (LME), and it makes the beer come out very cidery. These were my first two batches, and it's not something you will want to share with friends or family. My last beer was a Northern Brewer American Wheat, and it just uses LME, no corn sugar for fermentation. It's not quite ready to drink yet, but it is worlds better than the Munton's or Cooper's.

Also, it's helpful to troll around these forum and see what people are talking about. I have picked up lots of good advice here.

Happy Brewing!

Good luck, Catalina... This is one hobby you can really get addicted to... uh, not quite what I meant.

Watch videos on YouTube. There are some crappy ones out there, but there are also a lot of good ones. Once you see it, you'll realize its really no big deal. You can also purchase "how to" vids from a lot of places online and probably at your LHBS

+1 to this. It is the fastest way to get a basic, working idea of what you will have to do. Papazan's book is a 100% MUST. Read the stickies and the forums here. Ask questions. And definately start off with a kit if you don't have someone to show you first hand what to do.

This is what I did a few weeks ago. I have already made 2 extract kits with specialty grains that are fermenting nicely now, 1 at 3 weeks and almost ready to bottle and the other at almost a week. Palmers book is great and I did a lot of research on this forum and watched a lot of youtube videos, check out craig tube for some easy video instruction. On Friday I ordered 4 more extract kits with specialty grains, I can't wait until they arrive so I can get a third batch in the pipeline. Good luck! :mug:

Its not scary. it's wonderful. and you get to drink beer!

help someone do it, start with a kit, read here, read Palmer's "How to Brew" online, I recommend "Boil in a bag" method! There's some great threads here on that. Move up by adding a new process as you learn more.
I did one Mr. Beer kit, and my next was all-grain "Boil in a bag" been all-grain ever since.

Vuarra said:
Good luck, Catalina... This is one hobby you can really get addicted to... uh, not quite what I meant.

Absolutely - it really is a brilliant hobby that is fun, exercises your creative side, and produces an output that is unequaled at your local grocery store (no matter how long that beer aisle is).

Once you home brew you never go back to bottles from your grocery store.

like most have said read papazzian's or palmer's...especially palmer's 'here it is quick n easy' section and jump right in.

the first time(s) I thought the fermenting temp was the ambient temp fo the room...well let's jsut say the bier could have been better, but it was drinkable.

I think like most others you tweak each batch to make it better as you learn. you end up buying equip to make it better and/or faster. you find out what works best for you and then you start to really enjoy making it.

also it took me ALOt of time the first time I think becauase I was really anal about everything and I didn't know what I was doing. again I'v etweaked and I've shaved alot of time off

grab a kit from your LHBS and/or one of the reputable online stores associated here.

good luck :)

oh, also one of my first, easiest beirs to make and it's still my 'go to bier' is amber.

Latest posts

Back