Busch Light...Not Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
I have had a hankering for my old fave... Busch Light. Just like Bud Light, but way cheaper. It was what I always would buy in 30-packs before I discovered/could afford decent beer.

So finally for poker night last week I actually bought some. Didn't have any homebrew ready to go. And I figured the low ABV would be my friend. I am a bad enough poker player without a liter or two of 9% RIS in my blood.

I have to say I was not disappointed. I'm actually drinking one right now. I'm seriously considering making one next brew day - I'd probably cook 5 gallons as normal then dilute to 8 gallons and ferment in two cornies.

I guess I'm just already starting to burn out on the cold weather high gravity beers. Of course I have two fermenting and planning on making two more, so I must not be that burned out... but... um... I guess here's where I stop.

[/drunken rambling]

Oh yeah, re-reading to ensure (hopefully) clarity and lack of spelling errors, now I remember another thing I wanted to say:
This beer is SO CLEAR! It's amazing!! Seriously like 99% transparent. I wonder... is it the lagering or the filtering? Maybe I need a 0.001 micron filter for my Busch Light clone attempt?

Every beer has it's place. I still enjoy a miller Lite or PBR on those first days of spring. I believe beers like these take us back to those care free days when we were young be it college or just plain early 20's.

Every beer has it's place. I still enjoy a miller Lite or PBR on those first days of spring. I believe beers like these take us back to those care free days when we were young be it college or just plain early 20's.

PBR's rule! Busch, Miller Lite, Coors....not so much.

Someone had to say it.

sometimes its nice to reminisce... or just to do a little slummin'. I too would probably go with PBR though, or hamms :).

Speaking of PBR, what ever happened to those 32 oz bottles? perfect amount, never got warm.

I don't mind Busch Light, I have some in the fridge. PBR's don't do it for me....to each their own I guess. :D

I love me some pbr as well as busch. If some bar I'm at has dollar pbr or five dollar pints of good craft brew, ill get a pint of good beer and then change to the cheap stuff. Swmbo is near fanatical about busch light, says it reminds her of high school.

I like Miller lite... as in I'll take it over the other cheap beers.

Unfortunetly its the one that never seems to be the $5/ pitcher or equivalent.

I can almost smell spring weekend towards the end of April back in the day at UCONN. Except without the weed.

Busch Lite got me through the Army! When we went out, we drank all the best Colorado craft beers (I was stationed there), but when we were short on money or staying in, we bought the $12-15 30pk and get bombed.

Now, I enjoy a Bud when the time is right. I think regular Budweiser is a great beer.

Busch is bad enough! Light?? Uh, no.

Seriously, I've had most American Light Lagers and they are "ok", but Busch has to be the worst of them!

Make an ale with about 2# cooked corn grits, 7# 2-row, and 1/3 to 1/4 oz Magnum. Ferment with US05 or Notty. It will be pretty close but more flavorful.

Anyone here try Black Label? Delicious. If you get it fresh and cold, I have known it to be good enough stand up to a mirco'd light lager. Or maybe I was just in some sort of euphoric trance.

Anheiser Busch is an evil company which seeks to destroy craft brew. Please watch Beer Wars, as a homebrewer you owe it to yourself. I will admit, however that I like to drink Coors when it's hot out and especially when I'm camping.

Every company is evil and wants to destroy everyone that's not them... I have never seen Beer Wars but I don't believe in conspiracy theories. It's all spin.

I looked at the side of the can, and it's got like 95 calories. At 4.1% ABV, BeerSmith tells me that's OG 1.030 and FG 0.998, more or less. I'm thinking 2# rice, 4# base malt, mash at like 146, boil with three willamette hop pellets, US-05 would probably be good enough. I could double that up and do a "high gravity" ferment and dilute by half at kegging time.

Beer wars highlights an important problem with the way beer is distributed in America. There is no question that the larger companies can afford to make shelf space available for their products, effectively pushing out the little guys.

That is, until market demand forces more shelf space for quality products is what the consumer wants. That's why I buy beer from Meijer and not Wal-Mart. Meijer actually has regional craft beer on their shelves, and I'm not talking about Macro-brew pseudo-beer either. Around here it's beer like Bells, Arcadia, Founders, Mount Pleasant Brewing, etc.

It's not as good as an actual beer store, but if I'm in the store and need beer, at least I have some decent choices. At Walmart, it's ALL big-boy companies. That's great if I only wanted a Light Lager...

I highly recommend Beer Wars, spin or not. It does highlight a serious problem with distribution in this country.

I will also drink PBR and Miller Lite on occasion. It's good for what it is.

Milller Light, Busch Light.. ? nope; Even PBR can be a bit to corny for me

I do have a hankering for some "ALTES", or "Blatz".... seriously.... or Maybe some "RED, White, and Blue".... takes me back to the days with Gramps and an R.G. Dunn Cigars.

Ah... 35 years the beer was simplier.. but still "COLD".

when i want to enjoy a good beer its usually not busch or any of these types, with the exception of a really hot day or when i'm mowing the yard (or if thats the only beer around). that being said, when it comes time to party, i smash these beers all over my face. after about five of them they taste really good* and after about twenty i cant feel feelings and my clothes are off and people keep saying things like "Ryan STOP!!" and "WTF is wrong with you!?!?!?". not saying that i couldnt slam a bunch of heavy craft beers too, but its much more costly for a beer i won't remember anyway. i say if you like the bmc beers, good. nothing wrong with being a cheap date.
:tank:

*(before five beers miller= shotgun only. after five it tastes like everything else)
these veiws are the views of me since i've been drinking and do not neccesarily reflect the views of a sober person. please shot gun beers responsibly

just went to the fridge, now i'm drinking a miller litge. dont know whe put it there but i know whoes gonna drink it... correct... ME

PBR is my cheap beer of choice. I usually buy Long Trail or Sam Adams when I buy beer (mostly LT these days, because I live about a half hour from the brewery and I feel compelled to buy local :mug::ban:), but when I'm strapped for cash, PBR is my go-to.

when i want to enjoy a good beer its usually not busch or any of these types, with the exception of a really hot day or when i'm mowing the yard (or if thats the only beer around). that being said, when it comes time to party, i smash these beers all over my face. after about five of them they taste really good* and after about twenty i cant feel feelings and my clothes are off and people keep saying things like "Ryan STOP!!" and "WTF is wrong with you!?!?!?". not saying that i couldnt slam a bunch of heavy craft beers too, but its much more costly for a beer i won't remember anyway. i say if you like the bmc beers, good. nothing wrong with being a cheap date.
:tank:

That's MINT!

Back in the college days, Busch Light was the high end beer...you had a case of Busch Light you were king! I still enjoy me some Miller High Life on occasion...nothing wrong with slumming every now and again!

It's full name is Carling Black Label. It's the same as the UK's "Carling" and the highest selling beer in South Africa. It might be hard to find...it depends on the store.

I "slummed" it last night. While at the liquor store I saw the last 6-pack of SN Celebration and snagged....and I saw a case of PBR. It's been awhile since I had any sort of BMC, so I bought the only size I saw: a case.

Last night (a work night, mind you) I drank 2 celebrations, and 12 PBRs. Yep. 12. They went down so dam easy, and I never got drunk (although my gut was complaining this morning).

Nothing wrong with slamming some good 'ol light lagers now and again. Made me feel like a college kid again!

Boosh boosh liiiiiiiiight

Beer of choice while gunning down helpless deer.

FIL lives off of busch light (I think he literally gets his dailly intake of water just from busch). Doesn't matter when or why I come over, I'll have at least six before I leave...

Back