Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I became a Kamado Owner today. As luck would have it a friend didn't use his. A few texts later and a few bills and schwing, got myself a fancy grill. These things are built like tanks. Looking forward to trying a pizza on the grill.
View attachment 273117

I've found that Kamado style cookers are poorly suited for cooking pizza. Even with a plate setter and pizza stone, the amount of heat coming from the bottom causes the crust to burn before the cheese can carmelize. Ymmv

Grats on the new cooker though - you're sure to love it

I became a Kamado Owner today. As luck would have it a friend didn't use his. A few texts later and a few bills and schwing, got myself a fancy grill. These things are built like tanks. Looking forward to trying a pizza on the grill.

Congrats. Looks like you'll have beat me by 2 days ;-)

Of course, I see another hole in that table that's just begging for another kamado... :mug:

I've found that Kamado style cookers are poorly suited for cooking pizza. Even with a plate setter and pizza stone, the amount of heat coming from the bottom causes the crust to burn before the cheese can carmelize. Ymmv

The BGE plate setter is more "triangular" than round, and those gaps can create hot spots on the pizza stone. The KJ heat deflector is round. KJ also suggests placing the pizza stone on the heat deflector, which will increase its ability to keep the really hot temps under the deflector from transmitting directly to the crust...

That said, I won't have my cooker until the weekend, but once I try a pizza I'll make sure to post some pics.

The previous owner had high praise for the pizzas he was able to pull off of the KJ. I have the BGE pizza stone as well, so I will definitely post some results. Downfall for me is finding any quality lump charcoal within thirty miles or more. I'm limited to the junk Royal Oak at WM.

Well good luck fellas. I've cooked several pizzas in the BGE and am just sharing from my actual experience. I've tried several tricks all w/o great results. I've made some good pizza - but I just don't think komados are ideal.

what's the difference between the Big Green Egg and the Kamado Joe? I understand the accessories are a bit different and it actually looks like the KJC is the leader when it comes to that. Ceramic thickness? Weight? Durability?

I think it comes down to a matter of preference and budget. My research didn't point out anything discernibly different; positive or negative considering the two. A rain cap, the deflector setup are the only two things I seen as a common gripe. Gasket quality initially as well was often mentioned.
Look into warranties and customer support. The KJ seems the better initial purchase value but I have no experience with the BGE.
Also, it seems very common, mine included, that the ceramic will crack in the firebox in the ceramic cookers. Doesn't effect the cooker but that kinda coin spent and it cracks a year or less after buying, usually doesn't make you a happy bbq'r.

I have a vision classic from SAMs/Costco and absolutely love it. About half the price of the kamado joe and big green egg. Built very similar, hardware isn't quite as robust and I can't really get the temp to 200 without baby sitting it. I can easily do 225-250 though with very little effort and adjustments.

I found pizza is excellent on there, I use a perforated metal pizza sheet and place it directly on the deflector. I run the temp about 4-500* and only give it about 8-10 min.
I also got a multi tiered deflector spider instead of the one the vision website sells. It allows me to do up to 4 butts and 8 baby backs if I want to! Was more, but well worth the price.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/adjustable-rig-spider-combo-vision/

Good stuff for other kamados too.

Well good luck fellas. I've cooked several pizzas in the BGE and am just sharing from my actual experience. I've tried several tricks all w/o great results. I've made some good pizza - but I just don't think komados are ideal.

Hey, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong about the pizzas you cooked :D

I'm just saying I've heard great things. Although I've heard there's a learning curve.

Either way, give me a few weeks to play with the KJ and I'll get back to you. :beer:

^I'd suggest tossing the factory bottom grate in favor of a "turbo" grate no matter which grill you buy.

Same goes for the top grate - but in this case, I highly recommend cast iron. something about that cast iron - its just awesome. lotta folks say its meaningless but I just love mine. the grill marks I get on steaks are picture perfect and blow guests away. you just cant get the same effect with the factory grate.

Brining pork roast tonight, gettn ready for double brew smoked pork day on saturday in celebration of bday comin up. The only problem with these days is pacing myself in the consumption category.

I'm using the BGE pizza stone and instead of placing right on top of the deflector I have a few pieces of fire brick about an inch thick that I place underneath the stone. I think thisreally cuts down on the heat transfer directly from the deflector itself, and this is also what the previous owner did.

^yeah that looks perfect. the top pizza's cheese is not nearly as carmelized as i like it - but the bottom one's cheese is much closer to my preference. i think maybe that's why i have so much trouble with pizzas; i'm always trying to get that perfect leoparding on the cheese. i do know from trial and error that lower temps around 500 (or slightly lower) give me better results

The top was my first ever pizza on there, as well my first time ever making dough. The crust was a bit undercooked in the middle of the crust so I learned. Second was great. I preheated to 700 then ended up around 650 most of the cook. The last pizza stayed on for 10 almost 11 minutes I'm pretty happy, now I just need to figure out the dough to get a thinner crust and find better quality cheese.

Well, the it's the controller board on the Traeger that's bad, but it turns out I had a spare one from when I did an initial upgrade, damnit. It is now up and running again and I paid $0. You do not realize how much this upsets me.

Well, the it's the controller board on the Traeger that's bad, but it turns out I had a spare one from when I did an initial upgrade, damnit. It is now up and running again and I paid $0. You do not realize how much this upsets me.
A working Traeger means a better price, save the frustration of later, and sell it now.
:mug:

A working Traeger means a better price, save the frustration of later, and sell it now.

:mug:

Good point. Not sure what's worth more, a working smoker or what I could get for an eight year old Traeger. I'm thinking not much more than $150, if that.

I made my first attempt at pastrami... after 3 weeks in brine it came out pretty good but a little salty. I will post a picture tomorrow before I slice it on the meet slicer.

Did some ABTs, ribeye, filet, and corn yesterday...

20150425_154317.jpg

20150425_165159.jpg

20150425_170424.jpg

This past weekend's pork butt on the WSM. The smoke wood was pecan. I started the smoke around 5:30 pm on Friday and finished it up at 7:30 am on Saturday. It turned out great! I cannot stop eating it....

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

I have a whole shoulder (boneless unfortunately, damn you Costco) that I am thawing to smoke this weekend. I am having trouble finding large enough rolling papers. Does anyone have the one that came with that Cheech and Chong album that one time?

Weather permitting, this will be the weekend where the in-laws come over to help with our spring planting, then we go to their place to help with their spring planting. There's usually a smoked pork butt in there at some point.

Smoked some chicken wings last night on my new WSM. Came out OK for it being kind of cold. I need to figure out how to control the heat more.

Back