Granny Smiths

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSB

Reaction score
I just bought a house with a Granny Smith tree and while I've only made beer before, I would like to try my hand at cider. I did a little reading and found that most people recommend blending different varieties, but it doesn't seem to be always necessary. Would I be able to get away with just my own fruit? If not, what would compliment the Granny Smith's well?

I've never used apples, but I'd very much doubt you'd be able to make a decent amount of cider with just one tree!

Depends on the size of the tree and how good is the harvest. With a semi dwarf, like most of the commercial orchards use you only get about 5 bushels from one tree, but the old time standard size trees can put out 10 bushels of a good harvest which translates to 20-30 gal depending on how efficient your press is

Granny Smith is generally too sour and not enough taste up front to make a great cider but it is very good for blending. Stayman, Pink Lady, Northern Spy, Cameo would all be good to blend with Granny Smith.

Depends on the size of the tree and how good is the harvest. With a semi dwarf, like most of the commercial orchards use you only get about 5 bushels from one tree, but the old time standard size trees can put out 10 bushels of a good harvest which translates to 20-30 gal depending on how efficient your press is

Granny Smith is generally too sour and not enough taste up front to make a great cider but it is very good for blending. Stayman, Pink Lady, Northern Spy, Cameo would all be good to blend with Granny Smith.

Awesome. I have a friend with 20-25 trees. I'll see what varieties he has.

If 10 bushels gets me 20-30 gallons, is it safe to assume 5 bushels will get me 10-15 gallons? 10-15 gallons is probably more cider than I could drink in between harvests anyways, unless it's good enough to get me to quit beer. That would be awesome, but we'll see.

is it safe to assume 5 bushels will get me 10-15 gallons?

Yes - 5 bushels will give you 10 gal with a halfway decent crusher and press, 15 gal with a really good one. I have also used some crappy ones that only did 1 gal/bu. Most of the difference is the efficiency of the crusher. You want the pommace coming out of the crusher like applesause, not apple pie chuncks. Also the amount of pressure you can put on your press without breaking the basket also affects your yield.

I'd like to try a Granny Smith batch myself. I've had it and its great. It was a combination of Tart and Sweet with a touch of carbonation. Really enjoyed that.

I've used Granny Smiths a fair bit. I always blend them with other apples, but I find they're at their best after a good month's storage. The sugar increases and aromas seem to develop.

Just pressed a bunch of Granny Smith and have it bubbling away as we speak. PSB, send me a message next fall if you are planning on picking your buddies orchard. I have a press and Salinas is only a quick hop from Santa Cruz.

"Cameo would all be good to blend with Granny Smith"

How are cameo with cider? good? we have a bunch of them but have not tried them in cider. We are just pushing them as a better apple than Honeycrisp to eat.

Cameo is a good base apple for a cider, the juice very similar to Stayman (at least that is the case here in VA, may be a little different in northern climate). By itself, it could almost hold its own as a single varietal cider apple, but most of the taste is up front, and a bit lacking in the finish IMHO. Mixed with a tart apple like granny smith (or jonathan, winesap, pippen, york, etc) and a flavor/aroma apple (mac, empire, fuji, etc) it makes a great blend

Just pressed a bunch of Granny Smith and have it bubbling away as we speak. PSB, send me a message next fall if you are planning on picking your buddies orchard. I have a press and Salinas is only a quick hop from Santa Cruz.

I was in Aptos last weekend! I'm kind of winging it at this point. It's a fun experiment, but I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.

Back