Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipyard Pumkinhead...had it a couple of years ago and was absolutely terrible. And I do like pumpkin beers like Dogfishhead and Schlafly, and of course my own. Never again.

Sam Adams Rustic Saisen.

I read through a lot of these and don't get the Sam Adams hate. The Sam Adams Light for example...had no flavor but hardly the worst. The Summer Ale was something that wasn't really that bad...Starting to think people just have it out for Sam Adams with offerings like that compared to various other possble worsts. But this Rustic S!@# is hard to drink. It tastes like Satan ate a bunch of jasmine and then pissed it out...then drank that and pissed it out again.

Probably one of the worst SA's ive ever had. Tasted like medicine imo.

the saison? really? it wasn't fantastic. but imo it was another "eh, this almost tastes like a craft beer" didn't really have much flavor, but still decent. maybe you got bad bottles? (or maybe i did?)

Jester King's very aptly named Commercial Suicide.

Tastes like dirty water fermented inside the ass end of a hobo.
They make a bourbon barrel aged one as well. Tastes like bourbon barrel aged dirty water.

It's absolutely atrocious, no body, no aroma, no mouthfeel, no alcohol. I have the sneaking suspicion they're playing a joke on us, as the rest of the beers they make are waaay above average. The black metal and boxer's revenge are nothing short of amazing.

the saison? really? it wasn't fantastic. but imo it was another "eh, this almost tastes like a craft beer" didn't really have much flavor, but still decent. maybe you got bad bottles? (or maybe i did?)
I thought it was the best beer in the summer sampler I bought. I like SA in general as long as it's not one of their gruesome fruit concoctions.

Goose Island put out a Christmas Ale about 15 years ago that tasted like a log. Completely undrinkable, but it made a pretty good ingredient in chili.

My friend once found a case of Huber Bock, put out by the Joe Huber Brewing Co., for about $6 when he was in college. Said it was the worst beer he had ever had. Of course, the reason he bought it was because Joe Huber was a member at the country club we caddied at. The next time he caddied for Huber, my friend spent the entire round riding him about how lousy and cheap his beer was.

I thought it was the best beer in the summer sampler I bought. I like SA in general as long as it's not one of their gruesome fruit concoctions.

I agree about the saison. Not amazing for the style, but hardly an awful beer.

I also don't mind the Cherry Wheat as much as everyone else here, it seems. It is by no means anywhere close to my favorite beer, but I can certainly finish a bottle. I wasn't sick much as a kid and therefore wasn't exposed to horridly flavored medicines often. Does anyone else think this negative association is what causes such a harsh reaction to the "medicinal" flavors for a lot of people?

Speakeasy's Prohibition Ale. One of only two beers a refused to finish drinking.

thats pretty much how i feel

I agree about the saison. Not amazing for the style, but hardly an awful beer.

I also don't mind the Cherry Wheat as much as everyone else here, it seems. It is by no means anywhere close to my favorite beer, but I can certainly finish a bottle. I wasn't sick much as a kid and therefore wasn't exposed to horridly flavored medicines often. Does anyone else think this negative association is what causes such a harsh reaction to the "medicinal" flavors for a lot of people?

for me its not about a bad experience or anything. i kinda liked medicine as a kid (*twitch). it just tastes like artificial cherry flavor to me. like beer with a bunch of jolly ranchers in it. just feels fake. its not like it made me puke, it just sucked.

The winner for this one has to be Dogfish Head Red & White. Here is the description:

"A big, belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our giant oak tanks"

WAY too much going on in this beer. Pretty pissed off at $13 a bottle.

Jester King's very aptly named Commercial Suicide.

Tastes like dirty water fermented inside the ass end of a hobo.
They make a bourbon barrel aged one as well. Tastes like bourbon barrel aged dirty water.

It's absolutely atrocious, no body, no aroma, no mouthfeel, no alcohol. I have the sneaking suspicion they're playing a joke on us, as the rest of the beers they make are waaay above average. The black metal and boxer's revenge are nothing short of amazing.

They didn't bottle these did they ? I assume you had it on tap ? Where at ? Not that I am looking to try it.

Dog bite high gravity lager my wife brought it home to be sweet. I can swig down a malt liquor with the best of them. I threw this bad boy in the freezer for like 45 mins even with ice in it I could drink it. This beer tasted like pure azz and baby tears

They didn't bottle these did they ? I assume you had it on tap ? Where at ? Not that I am looking to try it.

:off:Commercial suicide is available at a few places. Black star co-op, and opal divines (the marina) are 2 I can think of off the top of my head. And I kind of liked it, but I thought Southern Star's Buried Hatchet was far and away better.

Shiner's Ruby Red tasted like ginger ale to me. I like ginger ale, but not when I'm expecting beer. Way too carbinated, with no hops aroma / flavor / bitterness coming through for me.

Narragansett has to be the worst tasting beer I've ever had, and it only gets worse as it gets warmer.

Danish pilsner by the Harboe Brewery. It's literally piss. No aroma, no body, slight and very off bitter flavour, with a slight carbonation. It has to be literally 0.5 degrees celcius before it's even remotely drinkable. :drunk:
Then again, it costs 1.5$ per liter.

Molson 67 Sublime and Lucky Force 10. Sublime tastes like cheap club soda and synthetic lime flavouring (think Doritas 'touch of lime' chips... Bleh!).

Lucky Force 10 tastes like someone pissed and puked into your mouth at the same time.

Magic hat #9 is pretty bad. Whatever "natural flavors" are in there is just awful. tastes apricoty or peachy but in a very bad unnatural way.

I havent had any Magic hat before this trip to Massachusetts that Im on now, but Im not too impressed with any of their beer in the summer sampler I picked up... the IPA is drinkable though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

NB Mothership Wit is one of the only commercial beers that I've ever had to dump!

Am I the only one who didn't taste anything? I thought it tasted like ice water with lemon. I usually love wit.

Steel Reserve. I tried it once and it made me throw up. I don't get sick from beer ever.

Top 3 worst for me have to be:

Red, White and Blue back in my high school days in the 70's

Blatz Beer - In college it was the local club's Toad's Place in New Haven, CT) 25 cent beer on Tuesday nights. $5 got you 20 cups and you really felt it the next day gas wise!

Lastly, Meister Brau!

Budweisser Wheat...bought a 6 pack took one sip (literally) dumped it out and gave the other 5 to a friends roommate....its really bad...guess I should have expected it...

Am I the only one who didn't taste anything? I thought it tasted like ice water with lemon. I usually love wit.

It was a long time ago when I had it, so I don't remember exactly what it tasted like, but I do remember a little bit. I definitely remember not liking it any pouring it out, but other than that, I only remember very strong spice flavors like coriander that did not blend well.

I have one sitting in my fridge, because somebody used my cooler to cool some of their beers and left it in there. I'm not sure if I should try it again, dump it out, or wait for someone to come along and drink it.

I have a new worst...................Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat Ale

Smells fruity just not blueberry. Tastes horrible. I gave it a second try a few days later...........even worse. Could not get past the second sip. Dumped both glasses. Best description: Think of a bowl of fruity pebbles with Coors light instead of milk.

Their IPA is pretty vile too. I can't remember the specific "flavor" issues now, but man, I couldn't get through a single bottle.

Back