What do you guys (and gals) think of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for comments, suggestions, input.

I love it so far. I think I am going to have him put the oars (like in the secondary logo) behind the text on the main logo. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with this.

Discuss.

IronOrrlogo.jpg

Looks pretty freaking amazing to me. :rockin:

I'd leave the oars out of the primary tho, it's already in there with the secondary up top.

Ize

That is going to be my official logo for the brewery. I plan on going on those customizer T-shirt and flag and whatever sites and making me some fun stuff to display. :rockin:

Jeff (BigSexySpud on DSO) designed it for me. I'm paying a pretty penny for this logo work though......

Ize said:
Oh that is SO cool. :rockin: Thank you for the heads up on that one.

Ize

Yeah, that is killer. I'm sure it is pricey though. But a big vinyl sign of IOB hanging in my brewery would kick total arse.

I found a place that does flags, that'll prolly be more in my price range. :D

Dude said:
Yeah, that is killer. I'm sure it is pricey though. But a big vinyl sign of IOB hanging in my brewery would kick total arse.

I found a place that does flags, that'll prolly be more in my price range. :D

Its all relative my Kitchen Aide buying friend...

Your image printed on high quality vinyl stock. Attaches to walls without any glue! You choose the height, and we print your image to fit, up to 52 inches wide! Your image will be cut to shape as specified in any comments you add to the image.
24" tall, $24.99
48" tall, $49.99
72" tall, $69.99
84" tall, $79.99

Custom Wall-Hog Glossy Poster

Your image printed on high quality glossy poster paper. You choose the height, we print your image to fit, up to 52 inches wide! Please note these will ship as rectangular posters; we do not cut out your image.
24" tall, $19.99
48" tall, $44.99
72" tall, $64.99
84" tall, $74.99

Custom Wall-Hog Canvas Print

Your image printed on high quality canvas stock. You choose the height and width, and we print your image to fit.
Piglet (11"h x 14"w), $19.99
Sow (12"h x 16"w), $29.99
Boar (18"h x 24"w), $39.99
Hog (24"h x 36"w), $49.99

</DIV>

Hmmm...the prices aren't as bad as I figured they'd be.

While we are on the subject, here is the flags site I mentioned. They did a nice job putting my off-roading club logo on one.

I think I'll get a flag made and hang it on my brewstand. :D

It looks like a hockey logo, which is one of the things I really like. For as little as I know you, Dude, this seems to be very "Dude-ish." Can you get this printed on some hockey jerseys, are there any companies that do that?

Here is revision 2. Yea or nay? What do you guys think about the oars behind it? Too much? I added a link to the first post so you can open it it a new window and compare both images.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=166410&postcount=1

Don't mind the banner beneath the shield--we are just playing around with an idea for bottles. I'll add that little banner and put the name of the beer on it. The main logo won't have that banner....

IronOrrlogov2.jpg

First one, I think. I'm not sure how I feel about the oars. You have two puns going on with "Orr" that seem to be almost competing.

I kind of like the oars in the second one with the "lager" banner sitting down there...kind of ties it together. Also looks more like a real coat of arms to me with the shield and then the oars replacing swords or other implement of bodily puncture.

Here is version 3, which the artist is especially proud of. He thinks this one works the best. I think it is getting busy. What say you guys? I really covet your input.

IronOrrlogov3.jpg

Too busy on Number 3.

A good logo should work well in plain black and white. This is getting a lot of shading, and the background is distracting. I'd go with the unshaded logo with a clearer background.

Cheesefood said:
Too busy on Number 3.

A good logo should work well in plain black and white. This is getting a lot of shading, and the background is distracting. I'd go with the unshaded logo with a clearer background.

What about the very first one? Was hoping you'd chime in--arteest. :D

I like #1 as well. I also agree that the double 'ORR' pun thing is somewhat competing. The small logo is nice with the oars, but the big one I think is just too much. And #3 is just way too cluttered. I think the blue outline does nothing for the overall image, and I liked the blue banner under the word 'Brewery' better than gray with white/blue lettering.

I like the second logo but lose the paddles in the back. I prefer the shield in 2 to the others. The lettering for ORR I like a little better on 2 but the lettering in 1 is just fine. The lettering in 3 is too light.

also, you do know that those are paddles and not oars right?

Looks very nice, I agree that a hockey jersey is the ideal stage for the logo. I don't think that would be overboard on the Orr pun.

I might be inspired to step up from doing my logo on a piece of masking tape with a sharpie...

I think they all look great, but still prefer #2 as it is. Can't wait to pick up a sixer at the grocery store.

The "oars/paddles" look like hockey sticks, which is kinda cool.

I like the first two, it may depend a little bit on where you are using it. If it's a small logo on a bottle, simpler is better; for the brewery sign, you can probably stand having a little more going on (but not quite as much as #3).

I think these all look great but I definately think Number 2 has the edge, I think the oars tie in with the banner for the brew name very well, I also think 3 is a little too much.

I take it from the discussion that you are actually going commercial with your brews? Excuse my ignorance. If so and that is a proper commercial label (it sure looks like it!) then you should blow your competition clean out of the water with that!

TREMBLE said:
I think these all look great but I definately think Number 2 has the edge, I think the oars tie in with the banner for the brew name very well, I also think 3 is a little too much.

I take it from the discussion that you are actually going commercial with your brews? Excuse my ignorance. If so and that is a proper commercial label (it sure looks like it!) then you should blow your competition clean out of the water with that!

No no no! I just wanted a cool little logo and a friend of mine is a pretty good graphic artist.

Its funny, the artist who drew this PMed me today and said the comments he is getting on his graphic design forum is that #3 is the best and that I should consider changing the colors of it because it tends to give the viewer the idea more of "natty light" than a microbrew feel. Nahhhh.

be careful about graphic artist forums. Graphic artists tend to like as many "bells and whistles" as possible because they feel it shows off their ability and creativity. It is almost guaranteed that they would choose the busiest image.

Assuming this is going to be primarily used as a label on a beer bottle:
I doubt that you are going to hand cut the outline so you need to consider what the actual cutout shape will be and what color the background will be.

All of these are trapezoidal with the bottom being the widest portion. One of these trapezoids is squatter, the other two appear thinner.

Will you be cutting labels as a trapezoid or square them off (rectangle)?

Print off a few and see. Cuttig them as a trapezoid will kind of be a pain, but if you cut them off square then you will have lots of white space along the top.

Maybe I'm mistaken and this is only an element of the label and there will be other elements to it.

This make sense? I like #1 because you can make it a rectangle.

I second the person who said to consider how you will be cutting them. But with that said, I like the first one...

Part of what makes a logo good is the fact that it's simple and memorable. Think about it, what are some of the most identifiable logos in the world?

A red triangle
A bright yellow rounded "M"
Mobil (with the red "o")
BP
Coors
the blue angular bow tie
the blue oval
a prancing horse
white lettering on a "red stripe"

Simpler is better. I like the graphic you have. I'm not suggesting you scrap it and go with, say, a blue circle or something. But simpler is better when it comes to brand recognition. Of course, what do you care? You aren't going commercial. I'm just agreeing with the guy who said that graphic artists will pick out the busiest image that shows off the most amount of creativity. This is AWESOME for making a fancy label that is pleasing to look at. I love seeing nice artwork on labels! But it is contrary to what you want for a "brand". Again though, who cares?

Anyway, my humble opinion: I like the secondary logo. That's exactly what you would want for easy identification. On the primary though, I'd scrap the oars and I'd scrap the circle on top with the secondary logo inside. I'd keep the shield all one color for simplicity's sake. If you want the shield to be your "brand" then I would put the "IO" onto a shield. Consistency of image, so to speak.

Ok. That's all. For whatever THAT'S worth. :mug:

dantodd said:
be careful about graphic artist forums. Graphic artists tend to like as many "bells and whistles" as possible because they feel it shows off their ability and creativity. It is almost guaranteed that they would choose the busiest image.

As a graphic artist, I am going to have to disagree with you here. Some of us like to keep things simple. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17006

Regarding Dude's logo, I think it looks good. From the three, #2 gets my vote.

trinitone said:
As a graphic artist, I am going to have to disagree with you here. Some of us like to keep things simple. :D

LOL.... And a lot of web designers didn't think there was anything wrong with <blink> 3 years ago!

:mug:

Dude said:
What about the very first one? Was hoping you'd chime in--arteest. :D

Sorry I didn't get back to this - been sick.

OK, I like the first one, but the shield is confusing. I like the oar's (since they're closer to an ORR).

Instead of the shield, take the Secondary graphic and make it a one-color and place it behind the primary. I think this makes more sense than a shield, which just adds one more graphical element that the viewer must try to interpret. Just my $.02. This looks crappy because the background was artificially manipulated. He can do it much better since he has the original art.

orr.jpg

dantodd said:

No, artists just have a hard time with terminality. They are never done, and often need to be forced to stop.

Cheesefood said:
No, artists just have a hard time with terminality. They are never done, and often need to be forced to stop.

Art: It ain't done till you sell it or die.

Digital Art: It aint done until the buyer dies or you do.

Back