How long is too long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I want to brew a batch that will be 12 days in primary before I leave for the holidays. I'll be getting home on what would be 20 days in primary. It will be fermented and I can dry hop before I leave. Just not enough time to bottle it. Will there be any off flavors from doing this? I have temp control for the 12 days, but after that I'm pulling it out to sit the garage. I don't want it plugged in while I'm gone. My garage will be around 50-60F Thanks.

This is somewhat a function of how much crud is in the primary, what the temperature is (which you noted), and how full-flavored your beer is. Unless you have an unforgivingly light-flavored brew, I would'nt worry about 20 days. My brewpartner has gone 2 months with relatively minor effects, and 4 months + dry airlock, which created swill.

Recently, I bottled an Oatmeal Stout that I had in primary for a month. I didn't like the sample as much as I did after two weeks in primary. I'm sure the final bottled result will be fine but I really liked it a two weeks.

It will be fine. 90% of my beers light or dark spend 3 weeks in the primary then off to the keg.

I got lazy a couple months ago and let one go for 2 months in the primary. No problems at all. The airlock even had some signs of mold growing in it. Beer tasted exactly the way it should have.

RDWHAHB and enjoy the holidays!

I've taken to leaving brew in the primary for 3 weeks. So far, only good things have happened.

Before, I would primary for 2 weeks than secondary for 2. Now I just leave my brews in primary for 4 weeks. They come out fantastic. The way I look at it is that if you don't care about color, secondary isn't really necessary. And, its less work.

It will be fine. 90% of my beers light or dark spend 3 weeks in the primary then off to the keg.

+1

I had to laugh at a recent article in BYO about whether you ruin your beer by leaving it for 2-4 weeks in primary. Unsurprisingly, they decided that you don't. Obviously, they don't read HBT.

I left a Kolsch-ish thing in primary for 4 months and it was absolutely fine. Not any noticeable off-flavors and, given the style, there isn't exactly a ton of room for error.

:rolleyes:
I got lazy a couple months ago and let one go for 2 months in the primary. No problems at all. The airlock even had some signs of mold growing in it. Beer tasted exactly the way it should have.

You know... I put a little Starsan solution into the airlock, and haven't had this problem since.

Ditto for the 2 months in the primary although its been a long, long time since that has happened for me. :rolleyes:

I used to try the whole vodka thing in the airlock but either it was evaporating on me or someone kept drinking it.

20 days is no problem. Assuming your brewing an ale, know that if your wort gets down to temps in the 50's your yeast will probably be totaly ineffective. If brewing lager, it might be too high to be able to carbonate later. If you are able to, you should keep the temp control on while you are gone or at least leave inside where you might actually make the extra time in primary more effective.

I love to brew, but hate to bottle, so most of my beers sit in the primary for 4-6 weeks, and then maybe a secondary for a week or two. I have not noticed any issues.

you be ok. mostly i brew ales and longest i had in sitting in primary fermenter was 3 weeks with no problem. you can keep your beer in a primary untill you reach a FG and bottle it. transfering beer to the secondary fermenter inpruves clarity in the beer. how long it can ferment and stay in the primary fermenter also depends on your ABV, stronger beer can sit alot longer!:rockin:

I want to brew a batch that will be 12 days in primary before I leave for the holidays. I'll be getting home on what would be 20 days in primary. It will be fermented and I can dry hop before I leave.

You should be fine, but be sure to coordinate it so that you don't dry hop for the whole 20 days. At that point you would begin to get some undesirable flavors. Myself, I'd do 12 days, tops, depending upon what style you're brewing.

I leave all my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks before transferring to a secondary for an additional week. 20 days is fine provided temps are consistently where they need to be.

And the answer is:

3 weeks, 6 days, 2 hours, 1 minute and 23 seconds!:D

The yeast at the bottom of the fermenter is dead yeast and can spoil a beer given enough time and temperature. It's really a function of time, temperature, the trub makeup, the yeast cake size, pH, and who knows what else! And there is no sharp cutoff. It probably helps most beers up until maybe three to four weeks, then the yeast browns and will affect flavor, eventually....

Of course, this all assumes one is under airlock. I've actually done open ferments covered with a loose lid, but transfer into secondary in less than a week. Now, like many others, I just start it under airlock and leave it for about three weeks.

And the answer is:

3 weeks, 6 days, 2 hours, 1 minute and 23 seconds!:D

The yeast at the bottom of the fermenter is dead yeast and can spoil a beer given enough time and temperature. It's really a function of time, temperature, the trub makeup, the yeast cake size, pH, and who knows what else! And there is no sharp cutoff. It probably helps most beers up until maybe three to four weeks, then the yeast browns and will affect flavor, eventually....

*groan* not this autloysis boogeyman again..... People have successfully had their beer in primary for upwards of 6 months with no issues....

I actually thought for maybe we'd get through a thread without someone bringing this up.

You will find that many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks and only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak, or to dry hop (though many of us dry hop in primary now as well)....and we have found our beer vastly improved by letting the beer stay in contact with the yeast.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

John Palmer

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

People have left it as much as six months. Autolysis is a myth for homebrewers.

Even when Palmer is talking about it, he's talking about it in terms of LAGERS not ales. Most people get so freaked out about in reading Palmer, that they don't notice it is in the Lager chapter, nor do they notice the caveat at the end of the section that I posted above.

I still believe that POSSIBLY autolysis WAS a concern to homebrewers 20-30 years ago, when the yeast came in dry cakes, of dubious heritage and came across from where homebrewing was legalized in the hot cargo holds of ships and may have sat for months in terrible conditioned...In other words was unhealthy to begin with.

And therefore may have crapped out and made for nastiness, (and also was prone to stick fermentation as well.) and tales of it just continued to perpetuate over time, even though yeasts are much more healthy and fresh, and more is understood about them nowaday....people gravitate to the negative and fear and still perpetuate those worries...over and over and over....

And I still maintain that as much as I like Palmer, he contributed to the hysteria.....I mean noone but me seems to notice that that section on the scary autolysis appears in the chapter on lagering. He is not talking about it with ales...or beers in general..just lagers..because flaws are more perceptable in lagers...since in essence most commercial lagers are tasteless...anything would stand out..

and I think most new brewers have crapped themselves at the mere thought long before the notice the closer to the section I mentioned earlier.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, along with the BASIC BREWING PODCAST and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

So why don't we leave that chestnut out of this discussion.......

*groan* not this autloysis boogeyman again..... People have successfully had their beer in primary for upwards of 6 months with no issues....

I actually thought for maybe we'd get through a thread without someone bringing this up.

You will find that many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks and only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak, or to dry hop (though many of us dry hop in primary now as well)....and we have found our beer vastly improved by letting the beer stay in contact with the yeast.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Sigh....
I was joking about the time frame, if you hadn't noticed, and totally agree that one should probably leave their beer alone for 3-4 weeks(or more) to clean it up. But I don't agree for light beers that one should get excessive on how long they leave it in, and there can be some damage to the beer for long periods. This is true even if the beer is bottled, as the peak for alot of light ales is way before 6 months. And I did say "eventually". Let a light beer sit in the primary at 70-80 degrees for six months before bottling, and compare it with one bottled at 3weeks then conditioned for three weeks.

I do wine, and one can more easily see the yeast go brown if not racked enough and/or left too long without stirring. Typically, one gets it off the "gross lees" after primary ferment and then can let it sit for longer periods on the "fine lees". Those fine lees are stirred every so often for wines like Chards. By stirring the yeast into suspension repeatedly you get the benefits of the amino acids they carry, along with a host of compounds—principally mannoproteins, which give creamy aroma and mouth feel. Just letting it sit doesn't do that as well, and you get a layer that prevents much of the good yeast interacting with the wine.

Admittedly the time frame is long compared to beers, with the exception of some barley wines. But perhaps we should be stirring our yeast for the best mouthfeel on heavier beers?;)

About the dry hopping, should I throw them in before I leave or as usual, after a week fermenting? It would be 10 days fermenting when I leave. I want to get the most of dry hop aroma so maybe I should do it toward the later side until I can bottle.

About the dry hopping, should I throw them in before I leave or as usual, after a week fermenting? It would be 10 days fermenting when I leave. I want to get the most of dry hop aroma so maybe I should do it toward the later side until I can bottle.

If I am dry hopping in the primary for a month, and I want to dry hop for 10 days, then I add them 10 days before I intend to bottle. If I want 2 weeks, it's on day 14......

If I am dry hopping in the primary for a month, and I want to dry hop for 10 days, then I add them 10 days before I intend to bottle. If I want 2 weeks, it's on day 14......
Revvy, I don't understand what you are trying to say there. Would it be better (hoppier) if I dry hopped on day 10 and bottle 11 days later, or dry hop on day 7 and bottle 14 days later? (what makes a hoppier beer, the later you hop or the longer it sits?) Im not wanting to drink grass, so what would you do? I'll be out of town on the normal hop day. Hop on. Thanks.

Revvy, I don't understand what you are trying to say there. Would it be better (hoppier) if I dry hopped on day 10 and bottle 11 days later, or dry hop on day 7 and bottle 14 days later? (what makes a hoppier beer, the later you hop or the longer it sits?) Im not wanting to drink grass, so what would you do? I'll be out of town on the normal hop day. Hop on. Thanks.

Beer being kept in primary for 1 month
Want to dry hop for 14 days.
Add hops on day 14 (14 days after yeast pitch)
Bottle on day 28.......

Beer being kept in primary for 1 month
Want to dry hop for 10 days
add hops on day 18
Bottle 10 days later.

Beer will not be "hoppier" dry hopping..beer will only be hoppier from adding hops into boiling wort. Dry hopping really is only for aroma and a tiny bit of flavor...but not bitterness.

I left a IIPA in primary for three months due to a school I had to attend. It turned out great. Maybe one of the best ones I've produced.

Back