How would unsweetened cocoa powder affect original gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I brewed Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter today. My pre-boil gravity with a refractometer was off by 2 points...estimated gravity--1.058, actual--1.056

After the boil, I forgot to check the gravity before adding the cocoa at flame out. So I took a gravity(refractometer) reading with the cocoa in the wort. Estimated OG should have been 1.072. I ended up with with 1.055. Either my efficiency was terrible or the cocoa really affected my numbers.

What do you think?

Cocoa will not change the specific gravity. Since your post-boil gravity is lower than your pre-boil, I suspect that the cocoa messed up the refractometer. Dig out the hydrometer.

Cocoa will not change the specific gravity. Since your post-boil gravity is lower than your pre-boil, I suspect that the cocoa messed up the refractometer. Dig out the hydrometer.

I just used the hydrometer and came up with 1.054. I hope I didn't just get 51% efficiency!! Ugh!!!!

How much did you boil off? One of your readings has to be wrong. I'm guessing it was the first one, since the hydrometer came up with 1.054. You can't start at 1.056 then boil for an hour and end up with a lower gravity(1.055).

Back