Kit Shelf LIfe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
OK so I found a LHBS going out of buisness. THis guy wants to sell me 5 different Tru Brew kits at a pretty good price. Should I take him up on the offer?

I asked, how old they were and he said none of them were over a year old. Do you think they would taste fine?

Obviously 5 kits is a of brew, what would be the best way to store these to keep them fresh?

I'm still a noob, so it could be good to have a set kit, but at the same time it seems a little boring I think it could be more fun to venture out.

The kits will gradually lose their punch, but shouldn't spoil. When exactly you'd notice a difference, I don't know. Certainly months rather than years.

I'd dismantle them: put the yeast in the fridge, hops in the freezer, crushed grains in a cool basement. Canned extract, probably in the basement as well.

The beer probably won't suck even if you wait a year to brew with these, but fresher is better. So I guess it depends on how good a deal (1/2 price? maybe...) and how often you'll brew. Also, I do think you would want to try others. I prefer AHS, Northern Brewer, etc. kits to True Brew.

Just found 2 NB kits I had been planning to brew a few months back,,,wow.

I am sure they will be OK - not too many critics of my beer yet..I just couldn't come to just pitching it ..I doubt the yeast care .

Yeast is really the only thing with Expiration dates... I mean Hops Ect can start loosing punch over time. But the TB kits the hops are in Nitrogen purged foil packs which help out..As McGarnigle Said if your not amking them right Put the hops in the freezer and the other items in the Appropriate Places! Check the Yeast Dates.. Even if Expired Yeast is on ly a buck or Three to get a new pack!

Back