Bummer! My first epic fail in brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
i brewed up an irish red, left it in the primary for two weeks, moved it to the secondary and about ten days later noticed gray skin on top and fuzzies all over it. dang it. i need a beer...

Funny, my first (and only) infection was also an Irish Red and I'm sure I picked it up in the secondary. Ended up tasting like vinegar at bottling, and got worse as time went on.

Sorry for your loss. I'd give all the equipment a good strong bleach bomb soak for a few hours to be sure it doesn't happen again.

That sucks man.

I just dumped my first bad batch. Granted, it was an experiment, a traditional no-boil Berliner Weisse. It sat in my closet for 6 months. Smelled like pickle juice and tasted like rotten soup. Gahhh.

Hey,

1. That'll learn ya.

2. It's a badge of honor. You will NEVER forget that mistake, and will become a better brewer as a result. Get back on that horse and brew it again with your new perspective!!

Do what Denny said. Taste that sumbitch. If it isn't rancid, bottle it, and drink those things as fast as you can after they are carbed.

Back