Looking for 2 Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have a recipe for a beer I want to brew (January 25th on 365 day beer calender for those who are curious).

First thing is "4oz extra special bitter malt"
I've checked a few places and cannot find that one. Any idea where I can find it or a substitute for it?

Second thing is "London Ale Yeast" If I am correct, thats a pretty generic description of a yeast. Arnt there quite a few varieties? This recipe calls for fermenting 62-66 degrees. Is there a yeast that will work better at a higher temp, say 68-72? My temperature is not something I have control and those are my ranges.

Thanks!

Full recipe:
4 oz Honey malt
4 oz extra special bitter malt
1 lb medium crystal malt
7lb light malt extract syrup
1 3/4 oz kent golding hops (60 min)
1 oz KG hops (20 minutes)
1 oz fuggle hops (2 min)

Steep grains in 160 degF for 30 minutes. Add dry [sic?] malt extract, boil, add hops as indicated. Pitch when cooled to 75-80. Ferment 3-6 days @ 62-66. Then rack to second (1-2 weeks)

I noticed as I typed this it said steep grains then add DRY malt extract. I assume the honey malt, ESB malt and crystal malt are grains to be steeped? Was the recipe a typo talking about adding the liquid malt extract?

thanks again!

What style is this recipe? Or at least what is the name of it? I don't quite know what they mean by ''Extra Special Bitter'' malt.

As far as the yeast, you can use several different ones. If you are used to using dry yeast then use Nottingham or an equivalent from another brand. For liquid yeast you could use The White Labs 002 English Ale, 005 British Ale, 013 London Ale, or 023 Burton Ale. If you are a Wyeast user, the equivalent numbers are 1968, 1187, 1028, or 1275 respectively.

I've seen two grains called "ESB Malt." One is a 2-row base malt sold by Gambrinus, the other is a dark roasted sweet malt, similar to crystal 120. Since they are calling for a mere 4 oz, I have to think it's the latter.

For the yeast, they are probably referring to Wyeast 1028 London Ale, or perhaps 1968 London ESB. Your temps are at the high end of the working range for these strains, do what you can to keep the temps down. Remember, fermentation will drive the temp up higher than the rooms ambient temperature. A tub of cool water, a towel or t-shirt and a fan will knock it down a few degrees.

Just to be clear, you remove the grain before boiling or adding the extract. (You probably know that!)

As for the extract, if the recipe has LME in the ingredients list, but said dry malt extract in the process, it's just a typo.

What style is this recipe? Or at least what is the name of it? I don't quite know what they mean by ''Extra Special Bitter'' malt.
It's called Marston's ESB. I've never had it before, but I like this style

Your temps are at the high end of the working range for these strains
Yeah I know. Are there other strains that would work better at those higher temps or would that change the way the beer turns out? I might try of the things you said

As for the extract, if the recipe has LME in the ingredients list, but said dry malt extract in the process, it's just a typo.
Thats what I thought.

So no real idea what they mean by Extra Special Bitter malt? BlindLemonLars said a Crystal 120 would be close. That sound good? The recipe already calls for 1lb of crystal malt so would I just add another 4 ozs?

Thanks again.

Edit: I'm about halfway through Palmer. I've brewed 2 Mr.Beers so I have the general idea but still a lot to learn! This would be my first "real" extract brew

So no real idea what they mean by Extra Special Bitter malt? BlindLemonLars said a Crystal 120 would be close. That sound good? The recipe already calls for 1lb of crystal malt so would I just add another 4 ozs?

It's kind of a vague recipe. Does it include a target OG and color?

My interpretation would be that the "medium crystal" is something like crystal 55-60L and the 4 oz of "ESB malt" is similar to crystal 120L. While there is a base malt known as "ESB malt," it's hard to imagine what purpose such a tiny amount of base grain would serve in an extract recipe...that's why I'm going with the crystal 120 suggestion.

I could be wrong. :D

I'd go with the suggested yeast strains (or a packet of S-04, which is what I use in my ESB) and try to keep the temperature down. Just do your best, and above all...don't worry about it! It will still be beer. :mug:

Yup Revvy, thats the one I am doing. Looks like you had the same problem. However, from the post it doesnt really look like you came to much conclusion of what to do.
Right now looks like I could either use some crystal malt or just some mild malt. If I were to order from northernbrewer.com (I need to get a few other things), anything anyone would recommend?

Back