Cooking Pizza in a Chiminea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
Anyone try cooking a small pizza in a chiminea? I was burning ours last night and was wondering if it could be done and how I would build something to sit a small pizza on while it cooked. After burining it for a while it had really built up some hot wood coals in there. Just a thought.

You need a baking stone. Nothing more than a slab of marble or tile. It prevents the flames from getting to the pizza and gives you uniform baking.

Is Pinion wood good for cooking? I would think the aromatics would interfere.

Not that Pinion is the only wood that can be used in a Chiminea.

You need a baking stone. Nothing more than a slab of marble or tile. It prevents the flames from getting to the pizza and gives you uniform baking.

I have a baking stone, I just need to build something for it to sit on.

pinion is ok.. but a more neutral wood would be preferable.
fruit woods would be a good choice . Apple or Cherry. In my experience would be very nice.

The smoke from these woods shouldn't interfere with the flavors of the pizza, but would round them out. the crust would be wonderful.

I cook pizza right on the grill all the time I dont use a stone I do it right on the grate lots of olive oil on the dough and you have to work fast.
All of your toppings must be pre cooked. I throw the dough on let it sit for a few minutes and look under to see if you have grill marks then rotate 90 degrees and check for grill marks. When you have the marks going both ways flip it over and start to put your sause on then cheese and toppings but go light on the toppings it seams to work better that way. By the time you get your toppings on rotate 90 again shut the lid for a minute or two and your done...And there great !!!

Pat

I cook pizza right on the grill all the time I dont use a stone I do it right on the grate lots of olive oil on the dough and you have to work fast.
All of your toppings must be pre cooked. I throw the dough on let it sit for a few minutes and look under to see if you have grill marks then rotate 90 degrees and check for grill marks. When you have the marks going both ways flip it over and start to put your sause on then cheese and toppings but go light on the toppings it seams to work better that way. By the time you get your toppings on rotate 90 again shut the lid for a minute or two and your done...And there great !!!

Pat

I am going to try this method too, sounds good. A guy here at work will once in a while make about 8 pizzas on the grill for us but uses one of those metal "insulator" things you buy at HD or Lowes just for the purpose of cooking pizza on the grill. I must say, the taste is fantastic, I won't say better than made in an oven as I like my pizza to be different from time to time, I am not stuck on one way. Sometimes I like them well done, sometimes the cheese barely melted. Sometimes thin crust, sometimes thick.

I am still trying to come up with a design to place a tile or pizza stone in a chiminea, the problem being a round bottom (not mine), space and access. If anyone has already solved this problem I would like to hear what you did.

We have a roasting pan with a rack on legs. Legs double as a lifting handles. I dunno if you have one of these but, I am thinking it'd be perfect if inverted and stabilized with the pea gravel.

We have a roasting pan with a rack on legs. Legs double as a lifting handles. I dunno if you have one of these but, I am thinking it'd be perfect if inverted and stabilized with the pea gravel.

Don't have one but you do give me ideas. Maybe one of those small catering tray stands that they serve food from? I guess I need to start by taking some measurements.

Back