Fridge or Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostforatime

Reaction score
The compresser just went out on my 4 tap fridge. Since I have to start over now, I was wondering what would be the best choice for a new kegorator. Should I go with a upright freezer or a fridge like last time? Any help would be great.

I already have a chest freezer that I use for force carbing and some fermentation. I like having the taps up a little higher than they would be on my chest freezer.

Any thoughts to a chest freezer with towers? That's what I did and I think it worked well.

I like that except wont the tower hit the wall when you open it, and the top seems to weak.

I haven't had issues with top strength and a two tap tower. I cheat a little, my chest freezer came on wheels, so if I need to open the top all the way I just pull it out.

I also have a keezer, but I went the collared route in case I ever want to revert it to it's original condition. I thought the height of the faucets would be an issue too, but to be honest I like it where it is now that it's all complete.

Another advantage to a chest freezer is when you open it you don't lose all the cold air. And I think I can fit many more cornies in the chest freezer than I could in an upright. But you may need to factor in the keg-lift if you ever get a commercial keg (I lifted a half keg into mine with no problems, but YMMV).

The big advantage to a upright refrigerator, and the only thing I really wish I had, is the freezer up top to chill glasses. I'm very close to just buying a mini-fridge for that duty.

You can check my gallery for pics. It's a little out-of-date, but just add a stout faucet in the center, a tank of beer gas in there and mount the splitting manifold to the back of the coller. You'll be all caught up then ;)

Had a fridge kegger, now have a chest freezer. Much easier to get the cornies in & out, if you have more than two. And about 4 times the insulation.

I like my fridge, but I like having a place to put many bottles of different stuff I've bought as well as the kegs of beer. Plus the freezer on top for keeping ice cream and chilled glasses. Plus the pop for the kids...

If you are only planning on keeping kegs of beer in there, then most like a chest freezer, and they are def way more efficient for space. Take a look at all the kegerators in the photo thread. Lots of good ideas in there.

Back